Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2023, 01:10 PM

10,557 posts, read 7,758,541 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue777 View Post
Yeah........ You've just help me make up my mind. I'm not doing general under any circumstance.
It's a very distasteful prospect (breathing tube), isn't it?

I don't know if this is used for wisdom tooth extraction with general anesthesia.

I'm really glad that I didn't know one of these would be used when I had hernia surgery under general. Well duh. Yes, I was just blissfully unaware.

Afterwards my windpipe was sore, so I found out!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2023, 01:18 PM

3,566 posts, read 1,501,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
I had only Propofol for colonoscopy.
Was anything removed during the colonoscopy? Propofol is primarily used as a sedative while fentanyl is the analgesic.

To use propofol alone to accomplish both of these results would require high dosages and thus more side effects and recovery time. This is why they're combined.

However, if you were just put to sleep and no incisions were being made, I can see why propofol would just be used.

Old 11-29-2023, 01:30 PM

50,786 posts, read 36,486,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blue777 View Post
Said all 4 of them need to be removed and explained the severity on a scale of 1-10 that mine is a 10.

I asked him is local anesthesia an option and he said absolutely not as it is required that I am sleep and that general anesthesia is the only option because of the severity of the situation and that I don't need to be awake for any of it.

He said he recommends a coronectomy on one of the teeth because if he pulls the tooth completely, there is a 15-20 percent chance of permanent loss in taste.

Has anyone here been required to do general anesthesia for wisdom teeth extraction.

He has very good reviews on google. Over 1000 5 stars.
My dentist was very specific that he did not want me put under (the risks aren't worth it if not absolutely needed). I was given IV Valium and fell asleep right away, slept through the entire procedure. Mine was only one, though.

In my first job as an OT, I was in a Manor Care nursing home where we had a long term patient who was only a teenager, but was brain dead from a dental anesthesia mistake when she was just 12.

Old 11-29-2023, 01:38 PM

3,566 posts, read 1,501,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post

In my first job as an OT, I was in a Manor Care nursing home where we had a long term patient who was only a teenager, but was brain dead from a dental anesthesia mistake when she was just 12.
IIRC, the death rate from general is 1 per 100,000 per session. So it's best to minimize these sessions as much as possible, in my opinion. Wisdom teeth sound like a no brainer to me where the risk is not worth the 'reward.'

Old 11-29-2023, 02:07 PM

50,786 posts, read 36,486,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaikikiWaves View Post
IIRC, the death rate from general is 1 per 100,000 per session. So it's best to minimize these sessions as much as possible, in my opinion. Wisdom teeth sound like a no brainer to me where the risk is not worth the 'reward.'
When I was in the process of getting epidurals, they didn't even tell me until the 3rd one that I didn't have to get general but a local would work fine. I got the local for the last 2 and didn't spend the rest of the day feeling like I was knocked out in a fight.

Yes, your last sentence is exactly what my dentist said. He wrote on the note to the oral surgeon in capital letters that he didn't want me put under general.

Old 11-29-2023, 02:35 PM

10,557 posts, read 7,758,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaikikiWaves View Post
Reading ocnjgirl's previous post, a "no brainer" is what you could possibly end up as in the literal sense after being administered general.

Also, it's probably not that great for brain health in any case. There is some question whether or not this could contribute to the development of dementia.

Old 11-29-2023, 02:36 PM

2,528 posts, read 2,779,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghaati View Post
You had six wisdom teeth? That's - pretty unusual and it'd make sense that you'd need to have them ALL out. They could cause significant problems in the future, because your mouth - and jaw - aren't built to accommodate them. You'd end up with crowding, difficulty chewing, inability to keep them clean since your brush can't get to them, malocclusion, potential for severe bone loss and periodontitis, and sinus/breathing problems.

Only two of mine ever came in and both were taken out at different points in my life. Each had grown a couple of cavities. Since they're "vestigial" teeth and not used for chewing or speaking or bone health, it was more practical to just take them out than fill the cavities. Neither were impacted, the extractions were fairly uncomplicated. One came out pretty easily with just a wiggle and final yank from a wrench. The other had to be cracked and each half removed separately. Both times it was local anesthesia, just lidocaine.

I don't know why anyone would need general anesthesia for dental work. Conscious sedation seems much more useful, since a patient can respond to verbal instructions even though they're pretty much in la-la land the whole time. "Open wider" might be a thing. Can't do that under general. Also under general, you might need a breathing tube slid down your throat. Totally not fun, and recovery can be a bear. With conscious sedation you might get a measured controlled high dose of halcion plus the lidocaine to numb you up. Have someone drive you home almost immediately following the surgery. Rest at home for a couple of hours, and wake up sore, but alert.
Regarding the Bold above . . . there is a time and a place for general anesthesia. I have been there. I had two impacted lower wisdom teeth with bone cysts under each one. The procedure was done in hospital under general anesthesia. My jaws were so eroded from the bone cysts that I was told not to be frightened if I woke up from the anesthesia with my jaws wired shut as the fear was that the extremely thin bone would fracture during the procedure. Thankfully my jaws did not fracture but it was a very long recovery period. I was 33 and in excellent health at the time.

So while it's not common, there are occasions where general anesthesia is the best way.

On a more positive note, however, I did have my upper wisdom teeth removed in a separate procedure done at the oral surgeon's office with conscious sedation. That was uncomplicated and unremarkable, to my great relief! And as far as just a local goes, just a month ago I had a first molar extracted using just a local . . . that was quick and painless.

Last edited by movinon; 11-29-2023 at 02:47 PM..

Old 11-29-2023, 04:17 PM

1,706 posts, read 1,152,851 times
OP I was in your shoes.

Let them put you under. Having teeth ripped out of your jaws is an experience you shouldn't want to remember.

FYI I woke up after my surgery and everything was fine. I went home and has zero complications.

Old 11-29-2023, 06:38 PM

3,437 posts, read 2,409,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
I had two wisdom teeth extracted in my 30's and it took 1.5 hours to do so. It was done by an oral surgeon.

I did it under twilight anesthesia. I forget which concoction of drugs was used but apparently I was awake, but just don't remember any of it. I did NOT want to be awake for any of this at all. They gave me the option and I chose the anesthesia.

In a way i'm glad I did it that method as apparently they were deep in there and fought the dentist. Lots of blood I guess. I woke up and had zero pain. Never took any pain meds either for it.

I've had general before for another surgery. Not a big deal. They gave me some drugs to relax me before going under (Demorol?) and I felt GREAT! Woke up in the recovery room feeling sleepy. All i remember from the breathing tube was a minor sore throat, but it wasn't anything I had never felt before. I'd do it again.
Demerol (Meperidine) is an opioid painkiller, short-acting and incredibly strong and addictive. Used in hospitals and surgical centers for in-patient recovery.

Twilight anesthesia in dentistry depends on the licensing of the dental practice. Some are licensed to use IV sedation, some aren't. In the ones that are, fentanyl and propofol is a pretty common combo. In the ones that aren't, halcion is the go-to.

Old 11-29-2023, 06:43 PM

3,437 posts, read 2,409,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
I had only Propofol for colonoscopy.
The same. They took out two polyps but I woke up refreshed so I'm assuming they didn't add any painkillers in the IV after they saw that the polyps needed to come out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health