Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2023, 10:40 AM

50,721 posts, read 36,411,320 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grlzrl View Post
Couldn't have paid me to do it with local.

There are options in between. Like I said, I had a twilight sedation, IV Valium. I slept through the whole thing. I don't think anyone is advocating for just a local injection like when you get a cavity filled.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2023, 11:03 AM

3,075 posts, read 1,540,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
There are options in between. Like I said, I had a twilight sedation, IV Valium. I slept through the whole thing. I don't think anyone is advocating for just a local injection like when you get a cavity filled.
works the same except if they are doing only one side the injection is in a different spot so it numbs the one side. then the other side is done at another time. Ive had it. no problem.

Old 12-05-2023, 11:26 AM

15,523 posts, read 10,489,155 times
Quote:

Oh, that's what they do, they give you like three or four shots. I honestly felt nothing.

Old 12-06-2023, 07:30 PM

15,403 posts, read 7,464,179 times
Quote:
I didn't know they did general through IV, but it seems they do. I don't know why, it was many years ago and I was in my late 20's. I assume he knew of cases like the girl we had in the nursing home, and decided he didn't think it was worth the risk (it's risky for anyone regardless of age...the girl in the nursing home was 12 when it happened to her).
The Propofol/fentanyl combination is always IV. When I've had longer surgeries in hospitals they start with Propofol/fentanyl to induce anesthesia, then switch to gas, since Propofol isn't used for more than an hour or so.

Propofol is great. I wake up without the hangover I had from sodium pentothal in 1986 for my first knee surgery.

Old 12-09-2023, 10:48 AM

872 posts, read 1,712,611 times
I had an upper left molar removed early this year and upper right molar pulled in 2014 with local anesthesia both times. The first time I experienced some pain and soreness for a few hours after the lidocaine? wore off and some blood loss. Most recently very little pain after lidocaine? wore off but more blood loss and I was low on gauze pads. Make sure you have plenty when leaving the surgery. If you're doing four wisdom teeth I'd do one side on one visit and the other side on a separate visit with local anesthesia both times. You might pay more with the two visits though.

Old 12-13-2023, 12:22 PM

20,928 posts, read 28,397,897 times
I had my wisdom teeth taken out when I was 18. I am 52 now. I was under sedation but had the option to get a local. I chose sedation because I was completely terrified and I did not want to know what was happening.

Old 12-13-2023, 05:43 PM

482 posts, read 901,468 times
Removed under local anesthesia many years ago. Had some residual chin and lip numbness, but completely resolved after 3 months. The procedure itself wasnt any different than a normal tooth extraction, in fact, I had a molar that seemed more difficult to remove as I recall than the wisdom teeth.

I agree with another poster, have one side done first, then the other. Gotta eat.

Old 12-13-2023, 06:04 PM

505 posts, read 258,405 times
I was in the service when "they" decided to take all four of mine out. They used a local, and tried, but made a mess of it, getting only one ( he was working on the second when the local wore off and I started screaming for him to stop ).

I then said I wanted under a general for the remaining three, and they said the waiting list was six months, so I waited. Then they took out the rest under general. Went very well, except for my having a very bad reaction to the morphine during "recovery" ...

Since then I have had root canals that were a piece of cake compared to that first wisdom tooth. My first guy was not a dental surgeon, he didn't know what he was getting in to. The second one was a surgeon. YMMV.

Old 12-14-2023, 08:05 AM

20,928 posts, read 28,397,897 times
My husband just had his wisdom tooth remove. it was loose. I did not think he still had his. Anyway they gave him 4 shots of Novocain and within 1 minute the tooth was out. Afterwards he said I should have chosen sedation. I said well it's over now and told him to stop worrying .He fears the needle going into his mouth more than any other paid he has felt in his life. He said he's rather have diverticulitis pain than this which he's had and is very painful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health