Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2023, 03:44 PM

10,888 posts, read 7,373,369 times

Advertisements

I had one taken out under a local. Gawd, hurt like hell.

Had the other three taken out all at once under general anesthesia. So much easier.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2023, 04:03 PM

31,897 posts, read 26,926,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blue777 View Post
Said all 4 of them need to be removed and explained the severity on a scale of 1-10 that mine is a 10.

I asked him is local anesthesia an option and he said absolutely not as it is required that I am sleep and that general anesthesia is the only option because of the severity of the situation and that I don't need to be awake for any of it.

He said he recommends a coronectomy on one of the teeth because if he pulls the tooth completely, there is a 15-20 percent chance of permanent loss in taste.

Has anyone here been required to do general anesthesia for wisdom teeth extraction.

He has very good reviews on google. Over 1000 5 stars.
Why must all four be removed at once?

Had mine taken out one side at a time under local anesthetic.

Areas were first swapped with some sort of numbing agent. After few minutes for that to work out came the big needle and syringe....

Felt nothing but do recall pressure and so forth from dentist struggling to get those wisdom teeth out that clearly weren't having any of it.

Old 11-28-2023, 04:06 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,551 posts, read 81,103,317 times
None need to be taken out if they behave themselves. Mine remained out of the way until this one became impacted at age 71. The other 3 are still not near the molars. My Oral Surgeon offered to do them all at once but was not pushy and in fact said that they may not ever have to come out.

Old 11-28-2023, 04:16 PM

1,499 posts, read 884,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Why must all four be removed at once?

Had mine taken out one side at a time under local anesthetic.

Areas were first swapped with some sort of numbing agent. After few minutes for that to work out came the big needle and syringe....

Felt nothing but do recall pressure and so forth from dentist struggling to get those wisdom teeth out that clearly weren't having any of it.
Depends if they are impacted…..which can mean have never broken thru the skin, or are very deep….both are pretty hard to remove…,I would have to be totally asleep

I got 2 removed. About age 35 or so…saw an oral surgeon guy…done in a dental office, not surgery….assume anesthesiologist was there

No way would I have 4 done at once with just Novacaine

Old 11-28-2023, 05:02 PM

10,545 posts, read 7,735,179 times
Another suggestion for a second opinion, and only two at a time.

I believe that with some locals you are barely awake, won't feel anything, yet with none of the drawbacks of general.

Mine were done one or two at a time, can't remember. Laughing gas was used, no general. It was not an unpleasant experience. But then, I was fairly young at the time.

Old 11-28-2023, 05:10 PM

3,566 posts, read 1,492,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blue777 View Post
Like you, two of mine are impacted and all four have cavities. I often wonder if I should just keep them in given the risk of permanent loss of taste. Yes, only one is causing me pain from time to time, but is it really worth the risk?
You don't need to do all at once. You could remove the one that is causing you pain, or the two that are impacted. I chose to remove the one's that were impacted and adopt a wait and see approach with my 4th. Don't even notice it anymore. The dentist pushed to remove all 4 but you can be your own advocate.

Think of it like taking your car to the mechanic. Sometimes they push for repairs you know are not necessary.

Old 11-28-2023, 05:49 PM

1,970 posts, read 2,234,027 times
I had all four wisdom teeth (the dentist always said "third molars") removed in the 1980s when I was just 20. Both bottom wisdoms were on the verge of horizontal impacting (I still have the X-rays). The dentist put me under general anesthesia (I wasn't given a choice btw, but back then doctors didn't really ask for permission).

I was out of it for a full day, and he also prescribed strong pain meds which I did not need. The operation was clean, and everything healed well. I do remember it costed Dad something like 800 bucks which seemed expensive then, but nowadays seems cheap. I had never needed orthodontia, and his surgery preserved my teeth in fine condition. Still even and straight like they were when I was a teen.

Old 11-28-2023, 05:55 PM

221 posts, read 203,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sam812 View Post
WOW, how did they remove them? A sledge hammer being swung by a blind guy? I had one surgically removed and the other 3 pulled and after a few days I had no problems.
No, I could not chew on the side the teeth were removed. Had no problem eating on the other side.

If OP has all four out at once, it will be very difficult to eat without causing problems with four holes in back of jaw.

I returned six weeks later and had others removed.

I had local and did not feel any thing. On the first two, I ask dentist when he would be finished, he said they are out, all done. After local, I was in the chair less than five minutes.

Like most have said, get a second opinion.

Old 11-28-2023, 06:49 PM

15,403 posts, read 7,464,179 times
The general anesthetic is usually Propofol and some Fentanyl. My oral surgeon starts with laughing gas to relax the patient, then starts the anesthesia through an IV. He has a monitor for BP and heart rate/rhythm. He told me that with a general, he can be done with 4 wisdom teeth in less than 30 minutes because he can turn your head and open your jaw in ways you wouldn't allow if you were awake. With local, it could take 2 or 3 times as long to do the procedure.

Old 11-28-2023, 07:41 PM

7,492 posts, read 3,219,325 times
The way I do it is I check out my doctors ratings and such. Okay, so I establish a relationship with the doctor. The doctor communicates well with me. Then, he's a keeper. So, the doctor, who is really well regarded by other patients and communicates well with me recommends a procedure. I look up the procedure (a bit of research). So, then I agree with the procedure and accept my doctor's methodology. If he says local I do local and if he says general I do general.

Your doctor may not be willing to do the procedure under a local anesthetic because he does not think he can control the situation that way (you're going to have too much of a reaction and need to be put down).

I had an implant done and they made me take a valium and a local anesthetic. It's not easy on the doctor. They really have to get some leverage on those teeth to get them out.

Not fun.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health