Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-14-2008, 06:19 PM

2,756 posts, read 12,977,971 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morry View Post
Can someone explain to me how to read this damned "interactive" map?

Denver - Regional Transportation District Mapping Site

With no previous knowledge of the area this thing might as well be in Greek
Use Google Transit instead. There's a link for it off Google Maps.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2008, 07:59 PM

5,089 posts, read 15,404,810 times
Default pbruuuuuuuuuuu!!!

Starting this thread in 2006 has been prescient. Well, it seems that car free living is now becoming the "in" movement".

I have noticed more newbies and those "I will never use public transit" on the buses and trains. I can recognize them because of their perplexed, anxious and irritated faces. and you hear them complain about the buses, the parking and other passengers. They rush to get on the bus; they try to take two seats with their bags--ah, but I am there; I search them out and if I see that they will not release their seat--then they will have me, a disabled fat man; drooling, shaking and laughing; next to them---did I ever mention, sometimes I have trouble holding my gas---oh what joy.

Oh, it even gets better; they think they can win and get the first seat but they do not know that I will follow at the end of the line (I cannot stand and wait) and claim it as my right as the disabled and elderly and they are forced to the back where there may be no more seats.

So, for those who think that the public transportation was not good enough for them; and for those who have did not support transit initiatives; and for those who drive around in the Park n' Rides in their gas hog, desperate for a spot,---I give you a Bronx Cheer====pbruuuuuuuuuuuu

Ah, life is good and I livecontent

Old 06-18-2009, 09:16 AM
NiB

24 posts, read 89,689 times
I may accept a temporary job at the airport through the winter. Would it be possible and economical to take the bus. I would like to leave my car here. I have done a little research and the skyride thing would be too expensive to do only a daily basis. Are there other options? thanks

Old 06-18-2009, 09:42 AM

6,813 posts, read 9,357,536 times
It looks like the 169L bus also goes to the airport. This is different from SkyRide and would be the regular bus fare, as far as I know ($4 per day per round trip). You could live somewhere along that route and commute to DIA via that bus, maybe?

I would check with RTD to verify first but it looks like it could be an option. I've never used this bus.

Old 06-18-2009, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiB View Post
I may accept a temporary job at the airport through the winter. Would it be possible and economical to take the bus. I would like to leave my car here. I have done a little research and the skyride thing would be too expensive to do only a daily basis. Are there other options? thanks
Many Jobs, if not all, provide, assistance for the RTD service at the airport. You need to check with your employer. Many employers enroll in the Eco-Pass program where you will be provided a free pass for the bus, or a reduced price to buy a pass.

Livecontent

Old 06-18-2009, 10:25 AM

6,288 posts, read 11,782,238 times
It's do-able without driving if you live downtown and are able to bike around. Otherwise, it's difficult. Public transportation exists, but in many cases won't get you within a few blocks of where you need to go.

Old 06-18-2009, 08:00 PM

Downtown is not the only area where you can live and have good transportation. There are many neighborhoods in Denver and the Suburbs that are good places to live without a car.

If you say downtown is the only place, then you must also say anywhere that you can get quickly and frequently to downtown is just as good. You can live near any of the rail stations and be in downtown. So, the neighborhoods around the stations are essential an extension of Downtown, or Downtown is an extension of your local station. In fact, living near one station means that all the neighborhoods, stores and shops around all the other stations become an extension of your neighborhood.

The same can be said for frequently run buses along Broadway, East and West Colfax. You have also some Park n' Rides that are served all day and night by buses. A good example is the I-36 corridor with the B Bus to Downtown.

Yes, it is very true that public transit cannot serve all destinations and may require some additional walking. When I was younger, it was not a problem. Now, that I am older and have some mobility problems, it is more difficult. However, that is where choices of needs and wants come into play. You can adjust your needs and wants and make different choices.

Yea, I know, our whole lives revolve the freedom of the car and we can go anywhere at anytime. It is difficult to adjust to some restrictions. Some of us have to adjust, because we cannot afford a car; we cannot drive a car because of disability and/or age; or some of us have made the choice of a different freedom. The freedom from the an automobile centered culture. The freedom to see the city at the pedestrian level and on a bicycle. The freedom from the constant demands of an automobile. The freedom to pollute less. The freedom to live a simpler and slower lifestyle.

Yes, I know this is a pedantic sermon and I, myself, have not let go of the addiction of the automobile. I now am approaching less than 2500 miles a year in driving but still have not totally given it up. I will be forced to one day, by age, my deteriorating health and affordability. I am trying to adapt all my needs and wants because the day will come soon, when I will not have the choice--I will be car free.

Livecontent

Old 06-18-2009, 08:47 PM

140 posts, read 429,650 times
Well put Livecontent. I kinda felt like Sobo was an extension of my 16th street neighborhood via the 0 bus. However when you live on 16th St. virtually everywhere in Denver is an extension of your neighborhood.

To the OP, year round bicycle commuting IS possible in Denver and can many times be as fast or faster than a car. Check out this Denver Cycling blog for the details: another year of bike commuting (http://ayearofbikecommuting.blogspot.com/search?updated-min=2007-01-01T00%3A00%3A00-07%3A00&updated-max=2008-01-01T00%3A00%3A00-07%3A00&max-results=50 - broken link)

When I lived in Denver, I found car free living to be incredibly efficient. Of course the cold was tough to handle for a 7 year Floridian, but it beat riding a bike in torrential rain and thunderstorms.

I lurk so often on this forum dreaming of the day I can move back...

Old 06-19-2009, 07:54 PM

2,943 posts, read 5,076,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lior Arel View Post
Hey Denverians! I've narrowed my search of places to move to a few cities and Denver is one of them. I have a question. I don't drive, I can't drive. I prefer to live downtown, so the suburbs are not an issue for me, but is Denver doable without driving?

Thanks. I'm excited about a possible move to Denver as it seems to have alot to offer.
The mountains are going to be totally off-limits without a vehicle of some sorts. Why exactly do you want to live in to begin with Denver if you don't want to drive? It's not that it isn't possible to do, it's just that most people move to Colorado for the easy access to the Rocky Mountains. I would think more urban cities like NYC, Chicago, DC, SF, Boston, and Philadelphia would make more sense for somebody trying to go car-free.

Old 06-19-2009, 08:52 PM

No, the mountains are not totally off limits without a car. Yes, there are many places you cannot go without a car but there are places you can go without driving.

RTD runs many bus routes up to the Foothills.

You can take the N to nederland, 7 days a week. Bring you bike. Explore the area and return on the bus, down Boulder Canyon. I have done it. You can take the bus to Evergreen or Aspen Park and visit some Denver Mountain Parks or Jefferson County Parks for hiking or biking; I have done that a few times. Pine Junction and Conifer is also available by bus.

You have Greyhound. You can easily take a bus to many mountain communities.Vail is nice in the summer because there is public transit in the town.I did meet a couple who took a mountain limo from the DEN airport with their bikes to Vail.

Unfortunately the ski train is no more to Winter Park but we do have the RTD to Eldora.

You can also rent a car or join a car sharing organization for cheaper rates. This will allow you to have a day in the mountains, and not have to bother with the big costs of owning a car.

Most people do not move to Denver for the mountains. Most people, in the Denver region, go to the mountains infrequently. They are too busy with their lives. When, they first move here, they will see many of the sites but after a time, go less and less. In addition, the City of Denver and the suburbs offer an extensive amount of parks, open space and trails that satisfy most people for most of their everyday recreation. I would also say many people in the Denver Metro area, never go into the mountains.

Now of course, there are some exciting and adventurous people who do spend much time in the mountains and enjoy that experience, but it not the majority. However, there are also many exciting and adventurous people who love more the life on the Great Plains of the Denver area.

Livecontent
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver