Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2011, 12:20 AM

339 posts, read 1,287,418 times

Advertisements

So I been living here for about 6 months now, but actually this month is going to make it my 1st year since I first visited here.

One thing I am noticing that is really bugging me as a single Black person here is that my options seem limited to mostly White and Black guys. And although not to try to say I'm better than, or alienate dark skin African Americans; but I'm not even 'Black, Black.' I'm light complexion, a bit mixed but have Black features. In places like New York, I would have NO problem attracting a Latino guy to me because of my complexion. Like, I don't have an issue with finding someone attractive of other backgrounds and someone can argue or tell lots of stories about their friend who's Black who married a Latino guy etc. but I'm just finding it too hard here. I grew up in Florida most of my life and didn't have this much issue. I almost feel I am unattractive here when it comes to meeting someone Latino.

When I 1st visited here last year, I met 2 Latino guys who I really clicked with and although it didn't turn into anything long term I was hoping that maybe I'd be able to continue to date similar and not have too much of a hard time. But since I been here I have not met many at all, close to none. The ones I have met hung out for a bit but it never went further than conversation. One dated me for like a 'hookup' and he even told me twice, "I mostly prefer other Latinos but been hooking up with Blacks lately."

I'm thinking to myself, this is some bull****. If I can't date whom I prefer to date then I'm just going to move. I dated Puerto Rican guys for years before I came out here and now the flow is interrupted and I just feel ugly here. Every since I've moved here I've felt disadvantaged in the dating scene like I'm so ugly Black person and I didn't used to feel that way until I moved out here. I'm thinking about going to Phoenix and checking things out here but after having lived in Texas I'm almost convinced that this whole former Mexico side of the country just isn't meant for Black people that want to date Latinos (unless you're like in San Antonio or El Paso which is somewhat an exception). It's just a waste of time and I'm not going to settle for marrying a White or Black guy just because that's all I can get out here.

So question: Any Black people out here know what I'm talking about? Latino people can you give some input? Anyone have friends who complained about this? Also...would you recommend other cities in the west as I do like the general scenery and west 'vibe' and want to 'try' to stay here. Would you say California or Phoenix with a bit higher population of attractive Black people would be a better option for me? I've also spent time in Albuquerque, NM and think things might have even been easier there. Or is it possible in Denver but I just have to grow a thick skin and adjust to all the rejection I've received from the Latino people out here when I try to initiate a date (because they damn sure don't initiate ****)?

Last edited by CruisingUSA; 06-05-2011 at 12:46 AM..

Old 06-05-2011, 09:38 AM

357 posts, read 1,286,574 times
anecdotally, I have seen way more black-white matches than latino-black matches here for whatever reason. That may change as the latino population changes (more coming in from other states such as california). I suspect this may have something to do with the attitudes of both populations.

Old 06-05-2011, 03:20 PM

Well according to city data Denver's Lat. pop. is like 35% and the Black population is 9%. I mean, for that number you would think I'd have more options when it comes to dating Latinos here but with the results I been having in meeting people here, you'd think it'd be the other way around. Like 9% Hispanic and 35% Black.

Old 06-05-2011, 07:23 PM

1,437 posts, read 4,606,826 times
What places (bars clubs etc etc ) do you go to ,you might be going to the wrong places

Old 06-05-2011, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by el borracho View Post
What places (bars clubs etc etc ) do you go to ,you might be going to the wrong places
I been going everywhere. Bars, clubs downtown, online, the gym...

Old 06-06-2011, 04:30 PM

31,050 posts, read 22,077,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CruisingUSA View Post
I been going everywhere. Bars, clubs downtown, online, the gym...
My job brings me to most of the western states and I would have to echo your White/Black, Black/Black dating scenario in most major cities in the South West. I see a lot of White/Hispanic couples but very few Black/Hispanic couples. I have quite a few friends and aquaintences in Phoenix and LV that are both WM/BF and BM/WF, almost evenly split these days. But strangely, no Black/Hispanic couples, either male or female? Maybe in a few years they will come around. I have always been attracted equally to both black and white woman, but can't speak for other men.

Sounds like you should make it into a poll?.

Old 06-06-2011, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LS Jaun View Post
Sounds like you should make it into a poll?.
From the number of responses I've gotten so far seems people are just flustered and don't know what to say. This is ridiculous. I'm just going to MOVE, I don't have to put up with this racism.

Old 06-06-2011, 05:10 PM

2,686 posts, read 7,871,502 times
Cruising,

It is the same in Chicago outside of dominicans, cubans and puerto ricans.

I have seen very few black/mexican couples.

Old 06-06-2011, 06:21 PM

357 posts, read 1,286,574 times
many blacks do leave here. we stayed, but we knew what we were getting into, and we're married . my daughter is 6 and we're banking on things being different in the next decade due to demographic changes. I would not move here as a single black person. it's just too difficult to date.

Old 06-06-2011, 06:44 PM

345 posts, read 914,113 times
I grew up in NY where it is very diverse, here it is just not. Here in my daughter's school there are 49% White, 47% Hispanic and 4% Other which probably mean the 3 Black kids and the 2 Chinese kids. It is not diverse at all especially compared to how I grew up.

You have competition from the other Hispanic women who share their culture. They probably know very little about African Americans and have little to no contact with any other race then White or Hispanic if they live outside of Denver.

I would not take it personally, and I am sure you are not ugly, you are just unique here

Here I am asked often if I speak Spanish and am taken for Hispanic because they really do not know Greek people, they see I have olive skin and brown hair and assume I am. It is not racist it is more of what they know and there is not much diversity out here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver