Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2011, 07:41 PM

5,089 posts, read 15,403,299 times

Advertisements

You absolutely have more to fear from your neighbors lovely dangerous dogs that are running free.

In the foothills and mountain, careless and criminal owners let their dogs run free. Also, there are lazy and ignorant dog owners that release their animals into the wild because they grow tired of the amusement of dog ownership. Those poor animals that survive, form packs with all the other dogs that are running wild, and then you have real dangerous hazard. All these dogs have caused more problems and death than wild natural animals.

I have never forgot the day, I drove up to the foothills in Boulder County--Lee Hill Road, and had to stop my car to check for a problem. Within seconds, I was surrounded by a pack of domestic dogs all viciously barking. This was an area of expensive homes, surrounded by the Federal Forest, but with arrogant residents who to them "liberal" means, my freedom to do what I want, with no care about anybody else safety because I am an animal lover.

Livecontent

Last edited by livecontent; 12-19-2011 at 07:52 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2011, 08:04 PM

1,627 posts, read 4,218,549 times
Coyotes are rarely dangerous. They are much smaller than most people realize and even in packs can be easily startled away most of the time. There are occasional exceptions, but I would say you are in less danger from coyotes in Denver than you are from malaria carrying mosquitos or killer bees in Houston.

Personally I more afraid of the rabbits. They've got huge, sharp... er... They can leap about... Look at the bones!

Old 12-19-2011, 08:30 PM

3,127 posts, read 5,053,725 times
Default People vs. coyotes

If I could scare off panhandlers and thugs in Denver as easily as I can scare off a coyote I'd go downtown more often.

But seriously, we get coyotes all the time where we live. About two weeks ago there was a pack of three of them just outside my back fence. They generally ignored my dogs barking at them and only loped off when I went out to the fence and shined a flashlight on them. They are not really scared of me and my dogs but if I make an effort to scare them off or ignore them they generally go on their way. Can't say the same for people who attack people.

Small or weak (older) animals or people (kids) are more at risk.
In two months, three coyote attacks on kids in Broomfield - The Denver Post

My pet peeve is rattle snakes. Hate to encounter them. I'm also not fond of mountain lions, bears or moose (they are erratic and big). But you won't see these unless you like to go hiking and camping. We camp and hike all the time so see lots of wildlife and get some great pictures. So far none of the wildlife has attacked us.

In my neighborhood we have lost small dogs and cats to coyote and fox. Birds of prey have caused claw marks trying to snatch a dog. But were 20 min. outside of Denver, not downtown.

You likely feel very safe in urban areas surrounded by people. In reality you are probably more at risk there than you would be walking where I live and seeing a coyote.

Old 12-19-2011, 11:10 PM

345 posts, read 914,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2bindenver View Post
only if you are a small dog, or a cat, out late (they are nocturnal,) should you be concerned for your life.
Sorry not true, they are out quite a bit in the daytime and hunt during daylight hours as well. They are loud at night and more active, but they are not strictly nocturnal.
We have them running around in the daytime hours, singles, duos and once a pack of four. They are scavengers and opportunists who will try to easy food. So yes in the 'burbs if there are coyotes, Fluffy and Fido are easy targets.
This month one of my goats was bit by one in the daytime, he had been in a pen that he escaped out of and was going to re-join the herd and probably was yelling and running to them. Thankfully I have guardian dogs who were with the main herd. It got one bite to the back of his leg and then the dogs were on it. We have not seen the coyote since. I wish I was saved the large vet bill tho It was a big, bold one who would sit in the neighbor's field during the day like he owned it.

As an adult I would not fear them unless they were rabid and that is rare. I have had one trapped between me and a horse and he thought he safer route to take was to run to the big horse then to deal with me. I live in the country though so I see and deal with them often. In Denver you will not see them like that if at all. They run from flashlights, loud noises, my large dogs and etc. So if you are planning on moving here worry more about finding a job then running into a coyote.

Old 12-20-2011, 02:34 AM

3,158 posts, read 6,124,244 times
Generally coyotes stick to themselves, but they have been spotted all over town from downtown to the airport to the suburbs.

Seriously though, attacks on humans are rare even if sightings are not. I don't see them often around my house, but I will "haze" them with loud noises or even throwing things at them. It is important that the coyotes learn to fear humans.

Old 12-20-2011, 06:19 AM

18,358 posts, read 26,495,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncguy444 View Post
With as many coyotes there are and as many people there are and that being virtually the only fatal attack I would say they are harmless. I wish people would get off their high horse with all this stupid fear of various mammal species. People are the most dangerous creatures on the planet even their supposed "harmless" children who like killing their parents and fellow students at increased frequency.
More than one recorded fatal attack. That was just one example. Most attacks are not fatal either, but they can quickly turn fatal. Small children are the most common victims. Consider too that in more remote backcountry areas, fatal attacks can happen and go unrecorded and have for a couple centuries.

Are Coyotes Becoming More Aggressive?

I'm not suggesting being paranoid, just aware. The situation in urban areas is a recipe for eventual disaster, as it is in parks where no hunting occurrs (such as where that death happened in Canada), as coyotes lose their fear in these situations. A coyote with no fear of people needs to be treated with caution if encountered.

Old 12-20-2011, 07:06 AM

17,711 posts, read 29,823,179 times
Default Well...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbenoit View Post
What should i do if i ever came across one?
Change your underwear.

Old 12-20-2011, 07:31 AM

3,176 posts, read 6,216,960 times
In our Broomfield neighborhood you would hear them howl every night in the adjacent open space. They ate three small dogs in our subdivision but you're an irresponsible pet owner if you let your toy breed out at night unattended. I would not be concerned with coyotes as a human at all.

I would, however, be well-versed in tactics to escape a mountain lion if you're at all interested in hiking. They are a major concern in recreational areas in recent years.

Old 12-20-2011, 08:17 AM

2,561 posts, read 5,813,671 times
I have routine and regular encounters with coyotes. If you have a small dog keep it safe. I had to install a barrier gate so coyotes couldn't access my yard. Just a little tid bid kind of off topic.Someone mentioned mountain Lions. When I was young and back home on leave from the Army a friend and I went winter camping near Kenosha Pass. We pulled into a remote area to look for a suitable spot to set up camp. Unfortunately we got caught in a blizzard. Anyway just atfter we killed the engine and headlights on my old jeep we heard a loud crash in front of us. When I went to start the engine it wouldn't turn over however the headlights revealed a sillhouette of a strange visitor who was keeping warm from the heat of the hood. The cat was just inches from our faces on the other side of the windshield for the next few hours.We just sat back and drank beer and watched this huge cat stare us down..pretty spooky. I later got him off the hood by honking the horn so I could get out as nature was calling. We happily spent the rest of that night in the front seat of that jeep. I have since seen four mountain lions in the last twenty years...one was feeding on a deer carcass around Ken Caryl Valley about two or three winters back.

Old 12-20-2011, 08:25 AM

4,505 posts, read 6,482,709 times
My mother lives in Broomfield, her cat got attacked and killed right under her bedroom window, Unfortunately she woke up and saw two coyotes tearing her kitty apart while it screamed. She was able to scare them away but it was too late and the kitty had to be put down. Pretty sad, but it happens.

As for an adult running across one....they are pretty small, not like a wolf or German Shepard....they will run from an adult.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver