Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2012, 08:08 PM

10 posts, read 42,123 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

I've been reading through old posts for hours, so I'd like to start by thanking you all for all the insights you've given over the years! It has been a very eye-opening read.

My boyfriend and I are strongly considering moving to Denver this June, but something is holding me back (it's probably just fear, but just in case) and I want to make sure we're making the right decision before moving across the country. So I was hoping to get your advice!

We're 25, we'll both be keeping our jobs and working from home in Denver, so finding a job is not a problem. We already came to visit and know that we could afford a nice apartment in Denver (certainly nicer than we can afford in Boston), and as a bonus we could get a dog! Can't really do that in Boston very easily. I have SAD and am looking forward to seeing the sun, but I'm concerned about how dry it is there, since already Boston in the winter feels so dry to me. Okay, let me list some concerns I'm hoping you can help me with:

Concerns:
- Will Denver be too dry? My hands are already cracked and dry in Boston, which is a humid place (though not really in the winter). Will they end up bleeding and being horrible? I read one post where a woman said she had nose bleeds all the time, and that sounds awful. I'm used to very humid climates.

- Is Denver too car-based? We have a car, but we love public transit. I've heard good things about the buses in Denver, but it sounds like we'll still need to heavily rely on our car to get around.

- Is Denver too isolated? It didn't even occur to me until I started reading posts on here, but it's true that we're quite spoiled and used to being able to drive 2.5 hours to Maine, 4.5 hours to New York, etc. Will it feel too landlocked?

- Is Denver too small? Boston is a small city, in my opinion, esp compared to places like NY, but it's still a lot of fun, plenty to do, a very city feel. Does Denver feel like a city-city, or does it feel more like a suburb city? We would probably live near the downtownish area, maybe Capitol Hill or Wash Park or some such, not out in the suburbs.

- We're not huge outdoors people. We *like* the outdoors, but realistically, we're unlikely to go hiking more than once in a blue moon, skiing is a maybe but not a huge draw, we're more likely to drive up to the top of the mountain just to sit and enjoy the view. I'm a writer, so bringing my laptop or notebook to the top of a mountain to write sounds appealing, but that wouldn't happen all the time, and it seems like a HUGE reason people move to Denver is because of the outdoorsy stuff. Will that be a problem? Will Denver seem just like any other bland Midwestern city if we miss out on the outdoorsy scene?

When we visited, we were blown away by how friendly people were in Denver, how cheap everything was (in comparison to Boston, at least), and how beautiful the mountains were. But, unless we get a fancy apartment so we can see the mountains during the day while we work from home, we're unlikely to actually see the mountains all that often, so I don't want to base the decision on that. We don't *need* to move, but we're both young, we have the ability to move anywhere in the US we want and still keep our jobs, and we want a change of pace, something different from Boston (which is a wonderful city, and who knows if we'd end up back here someday). But: would moving to Denver be a good or bad idea? Should we save up some money and wait and move to San Francisco, for more of a city feel that's still farther west?

Your opinions would be much appreciated, and hopefully I've provided enough information to give you a basis for responding. (I noticed in previous threads that that was a persistent theme--not enough info.)

Thank you so much for your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2012, 09:13 PM

5,529 posts, read 12,668,226 times
Jen, thanks for taking the time to read the wealth of information on this forum.

In answer to your questions: yes, yes, yes, yes, and yes. I bet you've raised these questions because these are the kinds of things that concern you based on your research. I think you've already answered your questions in a way by bringing these issues up for discussion. Sounds like Denver really would be too dry, too car-based, too isolated, and too outdoorsy for someone coming from a humid, dense, Eastern city of even moderate size.

On the other hand, why not? You're young and looking for a change of pace. Maybe Portland would be a better choice. It's definitely humid, a 3 hour drive to Seattle, and a good public transit system.

Old 03-12-2012, 09:30 PM

2,798 posts, read 2,676,642 times
Wow.
Denver is very dry, compared to anywhere in the Eastern coast.
The difference is, it is ALWAYS relatively dry, and you can adjust to it.

Seasonal weather variants: Even in the winter, you find days where the temperature reaches the 70's and the sun is shining, bright.
Of course, the sun goes away much too early, I think in the winter, but being at a lower latitude, you would see more sun that in Boston.

Isolation:
Yes, Denver is relatively isolated, compared to Boston, but there is enough culture that you will only miss Boston a few times a year.

It's a longer drive to other places from here. However, there are a lot of new things to find, and I suspect you will hear the call of the "Great Outdoors" once you get settled in.
I am not saying you will suddenly get the urge to grab a mountain Bike and head for the outback, but there are so many wonders to explore on a weekend drive, you will not want to just sit at home.

Is Denver too "Car Based?
Well, you can live in the city proper and get around without a car, if you pick the right neighborhood. I lived here for a couple of years, and never needed a car.
However, a car comes in handy for those road trips you will want to make after you get settled in, so find a house with a garage, to keep that car in.

So the only problem I can see for you is dealing with the dry climate.

Old 03-12-2012, 09:51 PM

3,158 posts, read 6,123,489 times
You have competing problems.

You have SAD so the cure is more sun.

You have dry skin so the cure is humidity.

The reason that Denver has so much sun is because it has very low humidity. If it were humid, then the humidity would result in the formation of clouds. Clouds would block the sun.

There are artificial cures for dry skin (humidifiers in the home, lotion, etc.), but there aren't really any artificial cures for the need for sunlight. Sure, you can take vitamin D and give your body UV rays, but what your mental state needs is the actual sunlight, not the effects of sunlight.

In the end its your call.

Old 03-12-2012, 09:53 PM

5,610 posts, read 23,308,989 times
From my reading of your post, it sounds like your #1 reason to move to Denver is the cheaper cost of living, that otherwise you like living in Boston. Denver is a totally different kind of place than Boston or anywhere on the east coast. If you're from a place like Nebraska, Iowa, or Kansas, or a decaying rust belt city in Michigan or Ohio or something, Denver might make your eyes light up. But if you're from the east coast and like the urban, high energy lifestyle, you're probably not going to like living here unless if you specifically want a more suburban lifestyle. Even the most urban neighborhoods in all of Denver (like Capitol Hill or LoDo) are still pretty boring compared to NYC. The population density is just plain lower out here. And you're not really gung ho on hiking & skiing & cycling & climbing & outdoors activities (heck, since you telecommute, you could live anywhere you want-- right in the mountains, in a ski town if you wanted to). You know what this sounds like to me.... a recipe for boredom. You have your whole life to be old and boring. If you're both young and don't have kids, don't have a mortgage tying you down somewhere, aren't a slave to corporate America, and there's somewhere you feel like you really long to be (whether that's Boston, NYC, San Francisco, or Denver or somewhere else) then find a way to make it happen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenfromboston1 View Post
Will Denver seem just like any other bland Midwestern city if we miss out on the outdoorsy scene?
YES. "Bland" is a good adjective to describe it. Now, I wouldn't say Denver is "just like any other"-- Denver is a very well-executed, better than average city with a lot of community pride, a lot of things going for it, good "quality of life" on paper, but yes, there's not a whole lot of local "flavor."

Last edited by vegaspilgrim; 03-12-2012 at 10:27 PM..

Old 03-12-2012, 10:22 PM

345 posts, read 914,026 times
I think you will find the dryness too much to handle if you feel like Boston is dry. Lotions and creams can only help so much. I am from NY and when I go back East I feel like my hair and skin are thanking me.

Yes it is sunny here but with the high altitude there are drawbacks to it as well. In the Summer the sun is at times too hot to be outside. Shade is good and much cooler but if there is not any you can at times feel like you are frying.

It is very land locked compared to the East Coast. I have driven in all four directions to other states and the fastest place to get to would be Cheyenne WY which takes me an hour, and there is no reason for me to go there.

I am not sure how much cheaper it is here vs Boston. Denver is not a cheap place to live like other states. You pay for your mountain view.
Car registration if your car is new can cost you $600 for the year, yes it goes down yearly but the year after you may pay $500 and so on.
Sales tax is high, higher in my area then some other counties I pay 9.75% if there is a 1% public improvement fee added to it.
I checked the grocery prices in the DC area not long ago and they were pretty close to ours, they have cheaper vegetables but higher beef but it evens out. Not sure if those prices are are hte same as Boston.
Out East gas starts at 87 Octane our lowest is 85 so it seems like we have cheaper fuel.

If you are not into doing outdoor things what do you do for entertainment?
What do you both like to do?

Old 03-13-2012, 02:21 AM

10,749 posts, read 23,819,647 times
Denver is not for you. By your list of criteria I think the SF Bay Area would suit you well for your SAD condition, but not too dry, has all the urban ammenities you could ever dream of and thensome, though it is very expensive. Can't have it all. But if you're not into the outdoors I can't imagine why you'd even consider Denver an option. By the way you've articulated yourself it seems you've already made up your mind really.

Old 03-13-2012, 06:03 AM

556 posts, read 1,200,073 times
I grew up in the boston suburbs and moved to denver 3 years ago so i will try to answer some of your questions.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jenfromboston1 View Post
- Is Denver too car-based? We have a car, but we love public transit. I've heard good things about the buses in Denver, but it sounds like we'll still need to heavily rely on our car to get around.
Denver is more car based than boston mostly because it has lower density and is more spread out. but it is very easy to get around by bike (much safer than boston) so it is fairly easy to get by without relying on a car if you are willing to make the effort.

Quote:
- Is Denver too isolated? It didn't even occur to me until I started reading posts on here, but it's true that we're quite spoiled and used to being able to drive 2.5 hours to Maine, 4.5 hours to New York, etc. Will it feel too landlocked?
there are no big cities within a days drive of denver, but there is tons to do within an hour and a half-- boulder, estes park, breckenridge to name a few. in three years, i have yet to explore all the day trip possibilities from denver. to give an example, if you drive 40 minutes west from boston you are in worcester. if you drive 40 minutes west from denver you are in the beautiful mountains around idaho springs.

Quote:
- Is Denver too small? Boston is a small city, in my opinion, esp compared to places like NY, but it's still a lot of fun, plenty to do, a very city feel. Does Denver feel like a city-city, or does it feel more like a suburb city?
boston is much more urban. denver is mostly single family homes with small yards. however, almost all the inner neighborhoods are within walking distance of a commercial strip with restaurants, bars, etc.

Quote:
- We're not huge outdoors people. We *like* the outdoors, but realistically, we're unlikely to go hiking more than once in a blue moon, skiing is a maybe but not a huge draw, we're more likely to drive up to the top of the mountain just to sit and enjoy the view. I'm a writer, so bringing my laptop or notebook to the top of a mountain to write sounds appealing, but that wouldn't happen all the time, and it seems like a HUGE reason people move to Denver is because of the outdoorsy stuff. Will that be a problem? Will Denver seem just like any other bland Midwestern city if we miss out on the outdoorsy scene?
i moved from the east close to be close to big mountains. i know lots of people in denver who never ski or go hiking, but personally i would not give up the urban amenities of boston if i wasn't into the outdoors.

If I could work from home and live anywhere in the country there are certainly other places I would chose over denver, but quality of life and cost of living strike a pretty good balance here so definitely worth your consideration.

Old 03-13-2012, 07:17 AM

10 posts, read 42,123 times
Thanks, everyone! I'm surprised--I guess I was expecting to hear that my concerns weren't hugely important and that I'd love Denver anyway. :-\

To be clear, even though Boston is a great city, we're ready to move on from it, even if we don't end up moving to Denver. I'm sick of the gloom (it's not the cold that bothers me, it's that it gets dark around 4 in the winter and it's gloomy even when it's not snowing), ready to try something new, etc. And I know for sure that I don't want to spend my whole life here in Boston, though I don't know where I *do* want to be. We visited Denver in January and loved it--the weather, the scenery, the people, the general vibe--but it sounds like maybe it's a fun place to visit but wouldn't be great for us to live?

It's true that SAD vs dry skin is a conflict, and a change of pace might be interesting and fun, because, as one poster said, why not? We're pretty quiet people: we like to go out to eat, go see some shows, hang out with friends. I spend a lot of time reading and writing, and we both like walking around a lot and exploring. And if we moved there we would get a dog, so we'd spend a lot of time going for walks and such--it's nice that Denver has so many parks. (And as to the comment about getting a bike, yeah, that's a good idea! It's not very safe to ride bikes in Boston.)

But these sentiments worry me:

"And you're not really gung ho on hiking & skiing & cycling & climbing & outdoors activities (heck, since you telecommute, you could live anywhere you want-- right in the mountains, in a ski town if you wanted to). You know what this sounds like to me.... a recipe for boredom. You have your whole life to be old and boring. If you're both young and don't have kids, don't have a mortgage tying you down somewhere, aren't a slave to corporate America, and there's somewhere you feel like you really long to be (whether that's Boston, NYC, San Francisco, or Denver or somewhere else) then find a way to make it happen." -vegaspilgrim

"I think you will find the dryness too much to handle if you feel like Boston is dry. Lotions and creams can only help so much." -gmm_24

"But if you're not into the outdoors I can't imagine why you'd even consider Denver an option." -caphillsea77

"i moved from the east close to be close to big mountains. i know lots of people in denver who never ski or go hiking, but personally i would not give up the urban amenities of boston if i wasn't into the outdoors." -woob

Hmmm.

Old 03-13-2012, 07:24 AM

431 posts, read 1,241,584 times
Another positive for Denver is it's easy to get just about any major city (and most smaller ones) by plane since Denver is located in the middle of the country. The East Coast is 3 hrs and the West Coast 2 hrs, and since Denver is the hub for 3 large airlines you can get cheaper flights.

And while Denver is dry it can get more humid in the spring when it rains more and more Gulf moisture is present (though not as much as the rest of the Southern Plains like Texas, Oklahoma, etc. It's hard to beat a warm sunny day with moderate humidity when everything is green in the city but the mountains to the west are still covered in snow. The driest months, like Boston, are in fall and winter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver