Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2012, 06:20 AM

4,160 posts, read 5,620,441 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hakkyou View Post
Yes, I do realize that that unfortunate event could have happened anywhere. I'm just feeling uneasy about that and the previous tragic events that happened in Colorado. It is indeed a beautiful state; I'm still thinking about moving there.

Also, I apologize if my comment came off as ignorant in my previous comment, I didn't mean to make it sound that way.

I don't know why this happens in Colorado..but trust me I lived there 20 plus years born and raised..I have never felt unsafe there...NEVER. My heart aches for the state...we have gone through a lot but it will make us stronger. Just please jeep praying for the victims and please do not look at Colorado negatively because of a few gutless cowards-

Old 07-21-2012, 08:00 AM

4,505 posts, read 6,482,078 times
2008 Shooter in Winnemucca, NV, stopped by legally armed citizen A legally armed citizen put a stop to a shooting in a bar & grill in Winnemucca, NV by fatally shooting the bad guy. Final outcome was 3 dead, including the bad guy, and 2 injured.

Gun carrying man ends stabbing spree at Salt Lake grocery store - ABC4.com - Salt Lake City, Utah News

A principal and his gun Wayne Laugesen Joel Myrick Pearl Mississippi Columbine High School Luke Woodham gun control

Just a few quick morsels of food for thought.

These don't make the big news because there's no profit in it for the media. Not to mention it goes against their argument.

Old 07-21-2012, 08:35 AM

441 posts, read 501,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyborgt800 View Post
2008 Shooter in Winnemucca, NV, stopped by legally armed citizen A legally armed citizen put a stop to a shooting in a bar & grill in Winnemucca, NV by fatally shooting the bad guy. Final outcome was 3 dead, including the bad guy, and 2 injured.

Gun carrying man ends stabbing spree at Salt Lake grocery store - ABC4.com - Salt Lake City, Utah News

A principal and his gun Wayne Laugesen Joel Myrick Pearl Mississippi Columbine High School Luke Woodham gun control

These don't make the big news because there's no profit in it for the media. Not to mention it goes against their argument.
Other morsels of food for thought... Why would anyone need to purchase assault weapons? Why would anyone (who is not in the military or a police SWAT team) ever need to wear (much less purchase) all the bulletproof clothing this whack job wore in his attack? How on Earth is that stuff even available for sale? How many people have been "saved" by a gun-totin' honest citizen vs. how many children have accidentally killed people when they found their parents' guns?

This whole policy - how on Earth does the NRA gain so much power? This defies common sense. The Second Amendment was created because there was no army and no police force at the time it was enacted.

No private citizen needs to be as well-armed as a Somali warlord. The fact that someone would already wish to purchase an arsenal, is already a sign that person is paranoid and potentially dangerous - as all paranoids are.

The murderer is in his early 20s - the age of the onset of schizophrenia. Oh great. 1% of the world's population suffers from schizophrenia - most, of course, are only dangers to themselves.. let's say only 20% of schizophrenics actually present a danger to the public - that's still 640,000 AMERICANS. Oh yes, the NRA should grant them all easy access to assault weapons. It is their Second Amendment right, right?

Old 07-21-2012, 09:00 AM

^^^^You're 100% wrong! Read the Federalists papers. The Second ammendent is for citizens to protect themselves ...from everything up to and including the government.

If you're soooooo concerned about these "massive" casualties, perhaps you should concentrate first on the biggest culprits.

Make child seats mandatory, drunk driving illegal, drugs illegal and seat belts mandatory...look at all of those deaths....oh wait! We already have laws covering that stuff. Well then how is it possible that people still kill each other and themselves with cars? Isn't it illegal? 50k deaths yearly on the roads....but a few hundred by guns is unacceptable to you... I believe you have an ideologically emotionally charged misdirected concern.

But but we HAVE to do SOMETHING! True! We do...we must eliminate free-fire zones. Or somehow convince criminals to not do heinous stuff in those zones because everyone is vulnerable there....

Last edited by Cyborgt800; 07-21-2012 at 09:08 AM..

Old 07-21-2012, 09:19 AM

8,605 posts, read 14,888,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyborgt800 View Post

The "if only someone had a CHL" argument is not one-size-fits-all! You CANNOT compare a dark theatre filled with tear gas and stampeding people that's being shot up by a homicidal maniac (in full body armor AND a friggin gas mask) to ANY of these examples that people have posted.

Average Joes with CHLs would have killed innocent people in the crossfire because they DO NOT have the requisite training to handle the kind of situation that unfolded at the theatre. In this particular instance I'm going to defer to a well-trained LEO and not some armchair vigilante.

Old 07-21-2012, 09:45 AM

18,358 posts, read 26,493,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluescreen73 View Post
The "if only someone had a CHL" argument is not one-size-fits-all! You CANNOT compare a dark theatre filled with tear gas and stampeding people that's being shot up by a homicidal maniac (in full body armor AND a friggin gas mask) to ANY of these examples that people have posted.

Average Joes with CHLs would have killed innocent people in the crossfire because they DO NOT have the requisite training to handle the kind of situation that unfolded at the theatre. In this particular instance I'm going to defer to a well-trained LEO and not some armchair vigilante.
Not really. if you have a guy shooting towards you, you'll know who to shoot back at. I'm sure someone in that crowd saw the killer as he was shooting.

Deferring to the police did nothing to save those 14 people, now did it? Police coming in 10 or 15 minutes won't save you now when someone is shooting at you. When the police do arrive, they probably won't even enter immediately, for their own protection.

Old 07-21-2012, 10:28 AM

Why do you need to build a straw man out of average joes having no training? I would venture a guess that a decent percentage of CCW holders are former military/police

CCW holders also know the liability involved to not just "Go blasting up the place!".
The anti gun crowd loooooves to paint pictures to illustrate/illicit an emotional response. That wouldn't be necesarry if fact and history were on your side.

Guess what? Liberals kill more people and jobs through regulations than guns do each year.

Reaction without research is irresponsible.

Old 07-21-2012, 11:25 AM

1,017 posts, read 2,497,361 times
A 6-year-old, a Navy sailor, and a man celebrating his birthday are among the confirmed dead.

Old 07-21-2012, 11:42 AM

626 posts, read 976,105 times
I can't believe assault rifles, used for war, are being sold in this country! This is crazy. Did he buy it underground or illegally? How did he get this?

Old 07-21-2012, 11:44 AM

626 posts, read 976,105 times
This is so sad and so depressing, I can't even read about it anymore. That poor man who's 6 year old daughter was killed couldn't even face the camera, he was so distraught.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver