Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2012, 11:42 PM

5,610 posts, read 23,314,867 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toronto416 View Post
The small tragedy that I also see is a real lack of original comments from officials, politicians, companies, etc...it's all pre-written lawyer-speak, and it's garbage. If I hear one more statement like 'our thoughts and prayers are with the victims and their families' - really? How? Why can't someone say what's on their minds rather than something proofread by a lawyer because everyone's so afraid of getting sued? Who the hell brings a 3 month old to a movie at midnight, or a 6 year old for that matter?
Well said, I completely agree.

I'm really beginning to think this country is messed up. I'm sick and tired of hearing from public figures how they are "profoundly saddened" by the "tragedy." How about a different emotion for a change-- like anger? How about instead of praying and then moving on as soon as the next big news story comes, actually spend some serious time putting thought into why this happens and what can be done to prevent it? Seems like these mass murders happen all the time. This happens over and over again. Besides Columbine and Virginia Tech, remember the Tucson Safeway shooting last year? I think there are some serious questions that need to be asked, about WHY these massacres keep happening over and over, instead of just labeling it a "tragedy." And it seems like it's usually the same profile-- young white males from the suburbs. Ironically, last night I was reading about Mexico and South Africa, about the extremely high murder and violent crime rate in parts of those countries. I went to bed thinking, thank god I live in the good ol' USA where at least it's safe here. Then after I got up this morning I found out what happened. I spent some time searching the internet this afternoon for some kind of article, study, or book about mass murders, trying to make sense of WTF is going on in this country. The best I could find was this article from 2009: America's Mass Murder Addiction - The Daily Beast.

When I first heard the story this morning, before I learned more about what happened, I thought to myself, oh ****, it's Aurora again-- what a dangerous place. I remember the ChuckE Cheese shooting that happened in the early 90's when I was a little kid. I remember multiple lockdowns at school because of bank robberies in the area. Throughout the years you hear on the news stories of shootings, bank robberies (including the one a few weeks ago where the cops were randomly pulling people over and pointing guns in their faces, looking for the suspect), and other crime in Aurora. Yeah, crime happens in Denver, the other suburbs, even Greenwood Village, but when something does happen in Aurora, it's always "see, I told you so" reaction. I grew up in Aurora (southeast Aurora, the nice part), but Aurora doesn't give me a warm fuzzy feeling. I used to defend Aurora a lot on this forum, but not so sure anymore. But truth is, this crime really isn't a typical "Aurora" crime and nothing about this is Aurora's fault. I believe this really could have happened (and does happen) anywhere. But the fact that it DID occur in Aurora, with Aurora all over national news now, means Aurora's bad reputation is further slammed into the ground. I think this will do permanent damage to the city's name that will last for years. Now the Aurora haters of the world have more bait than ever. The Aurora Chamber of Commerce really has their work cut out for them now.

Last edited by vegaspilgrim; 07-21-2012 at 12:04 AM..

Old 07-21-2012, 12:17 AM

3,158 posts, read 6,126,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanek9freak View Post
And as usual, the typical flood of anti-gun lunatics will use this tragedy to come out of the woodwork, ready to dance in the blood of the victims, to renew thier push for more gun control, as if somehow that would have prevented this.

Something for you people to comprehend: I have spent many, MANY years working with law enforcement, and have studied criminal pshycology extensively. What makes a person dangerous is INTENT. This man had the intent to take the life of another human being, and would have done so with whatever he would have been able to get his hands on. Does a firearm make it more CONVIENENT to kill another human? Of course it does, but as I said, he more than likely would have done it another way.

The INTENT to chose to kill another person is what makes a man dangerous, not the weapon with which he choses to commit murder. You need to understand this. No amount of gun control, or high capacity magazine/"assault weapons" ban or restriction, would have prevented this. As a matter of fact, Denver County ALREADY has a ban on magazines that can hold over 10 rounds of ammunition. Worked pretty well didn't it?
First of all, I am not, nor will I never, dance in the blood of the victims looking for change. I believed before this tragedy that stricter laws are needed, and that belief has not changed. I am also sorry that some people love guns more than their fellow human beings.

Of course gun control doesn't work. That's because a patchwork ban has no shot of working at all. It's like being a dry county. You can't buy alcohol there, but as long as the next county over sells alcohol, then people will have easy access to it.

The gun lobby spends a lot of time defending its rights against restrictive laws. This issue, like many is not about what we COULD do, but rather what we SHOULD do.

COULD we make semi-automatic guns with 30 bullet clips available to the public? Yes. SHOULD we make semi-automatic guns with 30 bullet clips available to the public? I say no. What purpose do those guns serve? How do those guns make society a better place? How does this serve the public good?

You are right about intent. If a person is intent on killing/causing harm, then he/she will. However, these types of weapons with their large capacity for bullets and ability to fire rapidly exacerbate the damage.

If the killer had to go on his killing spree with a knife, a mace, or other type of non-firearm, you can bet that 59 people would not have been injured and 12 people would not have been killed. The totals would be much lower. If the killer managed to kill just 3-4 people and/or injure a dozen with a knife, it would have made all the difference in the world to those who died in the gun rampage, but would have survived the knife attack.

Furthermore, guns are manufactured. A ban on certain types of weapons that could be made and/or imported and exported into and out of the country would reduce the number of guns of this type in the country. Unlike drugs or alcohol, which can be grown/made at home relatively easily, guns cannot be easily manufactured at home, so it is unlikely that an illegal cottage industry of weapons manufacturing would spring up in the country.

Old 07-21-2012, 12:46 AM

441 posts, read 501,431 times
We are planning on returning to the States from Europe and the gun violence in the US is really making me wonder if that is the right decision.

Nobody could possibly have any justification for purchasing an assault weapon. That's common sense, not politics. The fact that someone would want to purchase one would - for me - be a clear indication that they have mental issues. Just because you can buy something, doesn't mean there is any reason to do so. Why not just sell nuclear weapons in gun stores?

How did the NRA ever acquire so much power? They are not protecting the public like they claim to be, they are just promoting the purchase of deadly weapons by dangerous, paranoid people.

Old 07-21-2012, 12:59 AM

26,143 posts, read 19,850,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Brown View Post
Area Code 720, date of mass killing on 7/20 right around midnight
Hmmmmm YES i didnt even notice that.....

My thoughts and prayers go out to all!!!!

Old 07-21-2012, 03:02 AM

20 posts, read 40,423 times
That is horrible. My heart goes to their families

I seriously think U.S gouverment should do something about weapon possesion. This stuff just happens in usa too often.

Old 07-21-2012, 05:10 AM

4,505 posts, read 6,484,501 times
To think that guns cannot be manufactured at home is pure ignorance! People have made guns in PRISON!

The fact is that guns exist...the only defense against a nut is to be able to outgun/outshoot them.
Stricter requirements would not have stopped this guy.

Old 07-21-2012, 05:15 AM

10,261 posts, read 12,514,484 times
My deepest sympathy.At the moment Colorado suffers

Old 07-21-2012, 05:40 AM

12,041 posts, read 6,574,734 times
Hollywood and the TV and video game industry glorify excessive violence---the last two generations have been getting non-stop images of violence like no other generations before us. Studies have been done showing how constant stimulation from watching or acting out violent images changes areas in the brain.

Last edited by mountainrose; 07-21-2012 at 05:50 AM..

Old 07-21-2012, 06:09 AM

65 posts, read 186,606 times
I feel very sorry to victives of this attack.

I lived in Colorado for 7 years and never felt in danger one day.

I'm wondering why no one considered this as terrorism?

Old 07-21-2012, 06:13 AM

4,738 posts, read 4,436,224 times
Default Blame

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainrose View Post
Hollywood and the TV and video game industry glorify excessive violence---the last two generations have been getting non-stop images of violence like no other generations before us. Studies have been done showing how constant stimulation from watching or acting out violent images changes areas in the brain.

Studies my ass. Changing areas of the brain, for the better (reflexes, problem solving, etc).

I got an idea, lets ban movies, books, and any other creative outlet which contains images you find distressing and think that maybe could cause a one in a million nut bag to go over the edge. I mean, son of sam was pushed over the edge by the movie Ten Commandments. So you must be right.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver