Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2012, 08:56 AM

152 posts, read 323,647 times

Advertisements

holy crap, i just looked up room and board, that's out of my price range. That will be for when my kids are out of the house! But it is nice to know where to get quality furniture later down the road. My DH and I was just discussing this, that even if we did have the money, we wouldn't even know where to go for good quality furniture. more money doesn't mean better quality, since i read on other forum that pottery barn and crate and barrel have some crappy stuff too.

as for that list...

1. Just got a job that pays well (30s)
2. Kids are slowing down that process though luckily we had them in our early twenties
3. Maybe....
4. we will only be in our 50s so maybe we can buy room and board then
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2012, 09:06 PM

1,227 posts, read 1,281,358 times
Room and Board: Seems OK, especially if you're into hip/cool/trendy. A bit too trendy for me; seems like the furniture might be out of style in a couple of years.

IKEA: I bought a bedroom set from them in Atlanta when I was there in '08. The whole shebang came in flat boxes stacked into my Highlander. I spent the better part of two days assembling it. So far, four years later, it's survived three moves and is currently in my guest bedroom. It's dark, simple, modern, has clean lines and will probably stay in style for a decade or more. It's also 100% assembled with screws and dowels. <shrugs> Two nightstands, a dresser and chest ran about $800 as I recall.

AFW: I've bought bedrooms from them a couple of times. In each case, furniture included dovetail joints and easy sliding drawers. Twice, I've had to call AFW to get drawers adjusted or repaired; they've done so at no charge and in about 30 minutes each time. This is an aspect of AFW that I think most people miss: they do have a repair department and they will stand behind their stuff. I would hardly call what I've gotten from AFW "cheap" - all of it has been made very well. A decade ago the bedroom was made in the US; just recently I bought a set made in Vietnam, but I'm very impressed with the quality and finish. I paid about $1500 for a dresser, chest, two nightstands and a media chest. Again, it's a dark, modern/transitional look, will look good for at least a decade. I'm not particularly interested in buying furniture to hand down to grandkids, and so while I suppose I could have paid $10K for something from Woodley's, I really don't see the point.

Macy's: Wanted to mention them for the living room. I have a leather (real leather, not "bonded" leather) two-piece Natuzzi sectional I bought in 2006 for $1800. It's held up fabulously; indeed, they still sell this exact sectional 6 years later. It's gone through four moves with one frame crack that the moving company had repaired quickly and with no affect on the look or exterior of the sectional.

Old 09-04-2012, 08:16 AM

6,126 posts, read 10,108,604 times
I recently got an apartment and I needed everything - couch, dining room table, bedroom set, the whole shebang. The guy at the store was really friendly and patient and he walked all over the store with me while I picked out what I needed. I furnished my whole apartment for about 2K and they financed me with no interest for 1 year. They did an awesome job at delivery. They came up and I explained where I wanted everything and within literally thirty minutes they had everything in the correct spot and put together. I would definitely recommend them. My furniture looks great and for 2K I don't expect the highest quality. I definitely think it will last long enough for me to get my money's worth and my apartment looks great. I got some lamps, coffee tables, kitchen stuff from IKEA, but I decided it wasn't worth it to get my furniture there. Maybe I'm just lazy, but I didn't want to spend days putting stuff together.

Old 09-04-2012, 08:35 AM

9,963 posts, read 18,499,454 times
LOL @ Room and Board. I love it but come on the price point is far beyond the subject of this thread (it is a good investment though).

AFW stuff is gaudy IMO, I walk in and walk right back out, it is toooo country looking. Service is inline with any chain furniture store.

Old 09-04-2012, 11:00 AM

1 posts, read 1,103 times
One thing I've noticed about American Furniture Warehouse is that they have a variety of price ranges. For sure they have entry level merchandise and at the best prices and from there it goes up to some higher end merchandise which also offers good value (bang for the buck). I don't think those that buy the lower end inexpensive merchandise should talk about it as if it was higher end junk when its not. It's good that American Furniture offers entry level merchandise in addition to other price points...just don't buy entry level merchandise and expect more than you paid for. I've bought all my home furnishings from American Furniture Warehouse and I love it (mid range price point) and it has served me well. Both sofa sets have been put through the test and still look great as well as the dining room set and all of the bedroom sets. Different price ranges and different qualities...your choice to which makes sense for you at the time of purchase.

Old 09-04-2012, 01:52 PM

152 posts, read 323,647 times
It's good too hear good experiences too! I went ahead and bought the sofa and seat and a half. He told me about their own repair guys and that the frames were lifetime warranty.

Old 09-04-2012, 06:43 PM

3,082 posts, read 5,438,880 times
They offer a good bang for your buck. I'd say for what you're looking to do, they would suffice. I'm sitting on an Ashley dual-recliner sofa that I bought from them about a year ago as I type this. It's pretty comfy and it only set me back about $350.

Old 09-04-2012, 07:20 PM

1,227 posts, read 1,281,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
Agree. 100%.
Room and Board for the patio.

Room and Board for the Living Dining Room.
My God, man. You live in a staged house.

Old 09-05-2012, 04:08 PM

659 posts, read 1,014,782 times
I bought a Dining room table at Pottery Barn, I found the same exact table at American for almost 1000 less. I bought it and returned the other. IKEA has great couches for kids where you can change the color each month, the office chairs are uncomfortable but some are cool looking.

Old 09-05-2012, 04:41 PM

6,804 posts, read 9,354,170 times
West Elm in Cherry Creek is another option. They are pricier than AFW, but they have sales fairly frequently. I bought my sofa and matching chair on sale and they honored a coupon as well, so I saved a few hundred dollars. The sofa and chair are sturdy and were made in Mississippi.

I also own a table and a TV console from AFW and have no complaints.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver