Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2014, 03:29 PM

130 posts, read 163,645 times

Advertisements

SkyDog, I like the way you think. Maybe we should meet for a heavy, dark, bitter craft beer after we move to Denver next month. Maybe even with toddlers in tow.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2014, 03:38 PM

11,474 posts, read 11,565,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stricklandia View Post
SkyDog, I like the way you think. Maybe we should meet for a heavy, dark, bitter craft beer after we move to Denver next month. Maybe even with toddlers in tow.
In!

Old 04-29-2014, 04:36 PM

7,841 posts, read 19,002,722 times
otterprods wrote: If I want something strong & heavy I'll have a whiskey and not have to drink a gallon of carbonated hops to get an ounce of alcohol.

Interesting strategy you've adopted, but that wouldn't work for me. I prefer the more distinctive flavours of the craft brews, especially the ones that are made with lots of hops.

Old 04-29-2014, 05:50 PM

2,483 posts, read 4,373,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDog77 View Post
Ummm ok.
There are lots of craft lagers. Try a Mama's Little Yella Pils from Oskar Blues. Great beer. Ska also makes a great one called Mexican Logger. People with the above opinion typically feel that beer should taste exactly one way. Instead of appreciating each beer for how it is distinct, they immediately throw out an "I only like x" comment. It's akin to saying that all spaghetti sauce should taste like Ragu or all beef should taste like McDonalds hamburgers. It's their loss because there are some incredibly creative and delicious things happening in beer right now. You just have to go in with the mindset that it's not supposed to taste like Coors Light, and that's a good thing. More people are catching on. Beer consumption in the US was down last year, but craft beer consumption was up. People are drinking less crap.
It sounds like you have me all figured out. So since I drink the cheaper mass produced "crap" AND the craft beers with supercool names, as well as wine and liquor of many sorts and I like them all for different reasons at different times, that makes me one dimensional in my choice of beverages. Good to know. Thanks.

Old 04-29-2014, 06:05 PM

8,317 posts, read 29,478,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterprods View Post
When did 'good beer' = heavy, dark, bitter and 1000 calories per glass? Just what year was that? '95?

Give me an ice cold 'rona any day, or even a coors light, I don't care. People call these things watered down but reality is that the water content is similar either way, the 'crafted' beer ingredients just spend more time being roasted (aka burned) and fermented (aka rotted) which give them that heavy flavor and higher AC. If I want something strong & heavy I'll have a whiskey and not have to drink a gallon of carbonated hops to get an ounce of alcohol.
Otterprods and I don't agree on a lot of things, but I agree with this. I still like a regular old Coors Banquet once in a while better than most any "boutique" beer. Another favorite of mine (I know this will surprise many) is Shiner Premium from the Spoetzl Brewery in Shiner, Texas. Of course, I'm also old enough to remember two very long gone Colorado beers, Tivoli (really liked it) from Denver and Walter's from Pueblo. Walter's used to be "the" beer for CF&I steelworkers and I bet most of it there was drunk as boilermakers. If you have to ask what a "boilermaker" is and how it is often drunk, then you're probably a latter-day yuppie.

Old 04-29-2014, 06:42 PM

2,483 posts, read 4,373,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzlover View Post
Otterprods and I don't agree on a lot of things, but I agree with this. I still like a regular old Coors Banquet once in a while better than most any "boutique" beer. Another favorite of mine (I know this will surprise many) is Shiner Premium from the Spoetzl Brewery in Shiner, Texas. Of course, I'm also old enough to remember two very long gone Colorado beers, Tivoli (really liked it) from Denver and Walter's from Pueblo. Walter's used to be "the" beer for CF&I steelworkers and I bet most of it there was drunk as boilermakers. If you have to ask what a "boilermaker" is and how it is often drunk, then you're probably a latter-day yuppie.
We both know that you get under my skin and I like to harass you for that, but I'm certain you and I would be friends if we ever met outside of cyberspace. It'd just be another one of many love-hate relationships in my life. I have my own curmudgeonly streak, believe me.

Many people who tout 'craft beers' as the antithesis to the major domestic labels probably discovered 'good' beer relatively recently and/or later in life so they see it as some sort of gospel they need to spread to save the masses from coors-henna or whatever. What they don't realize is that a lot of people still still drinking cheap "crap" have just 'been there, done that' wight he microbrew thing and are over it. These days, I prefer things that don't turn my stomach into an expired car battery, which would be red wine, just about any quality liquor, or if I must, a cheap, mass-produced beer.

Old 04-29-2014, 06:54 PM

otterprods wrote: Many people who tout 'craft beers' as the antithesis to the major domestic labels probably discovered 'good' beer relatively recently and/or later in life so they see it as some sort of gospel they need to spread to save the masses from coors-henna or whatever.

My intro to beer was mainly during my student days at the University of Tampa in the late 60s. Tampa is home to a Busch Brewery, so of course I drank mostly Busch, Bud, & Michelob from kegs, cans, and bottles with ocassional 'tours' of the brewery. Then I drank absolutely no beer for more that 30 years. Got back into drinking beer when I moved to Colorado in '06, and it was all micro brews. Later, I tried Coors once or twice and had to spit it out. Just couldn't drink it after acquiring a taste for the many fabulous Colorado micro brews. Just not my taste. Glad you like it. There's a taste for every palate. You're saving alot of money by drinking mass produced beer instead of the more costly micro brews. Beer, like everything else in life has an upside and a downside.

Old 04-29-2014, 07:00 PM

11,474 posts, read 11,565,172 times

Drinking this tonight. Highly recommended.

Old 04-29-2014, 07:05 PM

521 posts, read 860,308 times
Anyone ever wants to come over for a home brew, let me know. Technically it's Colorado beer.

Old 04-29-2014, 07:12 PM

@ SkiScree...I'd take you up on your offer but it would be about a 2500 mile round trip, to and from Ashland-OR. That's too long of a drive, even for Colorado beer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver