Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2013, 03:26 PM

10,137 posts, read 17,484,012 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ANAPA View Post
I plan on moving to Denver one day and I'm sure, because of that, I'll be looked at as one of those people ruining it.
Well when I tell people I typically vote Libertarian they like me and then when say I am from CA they go oh trying decide if they still like me but I have been here 10 years? so I qualify now LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2013, 04:16 PM

529 posts, read 1,548,189 times
Wow this is a dumb thread!

It looks like it should just be called, "Why California is better than Denver, and anyone who likes Denver sucks" or "Why Denver sucks, and why talking about it makes California people feel better". or "Why no one from California is wrong ever or causes Denver to dislike them, and everyone in Denver is an idiot and only likes Denver because they have never been anywhere else" or just "California rules! So bash Denver with me so I can sleep at night".

I'm so glad people like CO_Transplant hate Denver, it just means they will soon leave when they realize they are only staying to feel important and special because they think they are god's gift to the world and are always right, and get joy out of arguing. I've encountered this in every state and city I've lived in and it's just pathetic. There's plenty of people from Denver like this too, only they don't do it 24/7!

I'm not a native of Colorado, but I will never understand how someone's negativity towards an area is always everyone's fault except your own. Of course people leave Denver, the whole topic of this thread proves my point about the negative attitude towards Denver, and how the person is mad because not everyone is as negative as them! It's not Denver's fault it's your own! If you don't like a place then you don't like it, but stop trying to make such a big deal over it just so you can sleep at night. If I constantly bashed California or anyplace else for no reason other than negativity, and people who disagreed with me were annoyed by it then they damn well should be, it's no ones problem but my own! Why is it always just a Colorado and arrogant California thing? Look and think about your own actions people.

Last edited by JMM64; 04-04-2013 at 04:26 PM..

Old 04-04-2013, 04:21 PM

10,137 posts, read 17,484,012 times
JM64- Me I like Denver I just may move for a job not a hater.

Old 04-04-2013, 04:24 PM

529 posts, read 1,548,189 times
I wasn't referring to you Colorado xxxxx, plus even if you were leaving because you hated it that's okay, it's the way people blow this thing up so huge that's pathetic.

Old 04-05-2013, 06:20 AM

215 posts, read 771,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tekkie View Post
I hope that you have a lot of $$$ to fall back on, a good job here, and an extensive network. I think if you have those, you can be happy here.
I don't plan to move until I have things lined up. I lived in Durango for a year with plans to head to Denver, but then a series of family tragedies forced me to move back home to NYC. It took me about a whole six months to look just as haggered as every other New Yorker. I love my city, it's my home town, but I don't want to live in the same place my entire life.

My plan now is to move out to Denver when I know I have a job lined up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado xxxxx View Post
Well when I tell people I typically vote Libertarian they like me and then when say I am from CA they go oh trying decide if they still like me but I have been here 10 years? so I qualify now LOL

When I lived in Durango people were pretty open about not liking Californians or Texans. When they found out I was from NYC they didn't know what to expect since New Yorkers tend to move South not West so most of them had never met a New Yorker. They only had two reservations... "He's from New York.. Can he be trusted and is he an egotistical A-hole?" Once they found out I could be trusted and I didn't think the world revolved around NYC even though it's a great city, they embraced me.

Old 04-05-2013, 09:39 AM

7,841 posts, read 19,000,942 times
ANAPA wrote: I didn't think the world revolved around NYC

It some ways it does, certainly moreso than Durango.

Old 04-07-2013, 01:35 PM

3,296 posts, read 9,690,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lalahartma View Post
Did you have a hard time with the lack of sun adjustment?
lalahartma, I moved to Bend, OR 5 years ago from Grand Junction (and a lifetime of living in CO). The lack of sun adjustment has been extremely hard on me, and I live on the "sunny" side of the Cascades compared to Portland. I think Portland is a fantastic city, but I personally never could live there because of the dreary skies from about November to July. There are "sun breaks" as the local weather folks call them, and everyone gets really excited to see the sun for an hour or 10 minutes. I never realized how much this would affect me until I moved to the PNW. After 5 years of living here, my husband and I have decided we are moving back to CO. We will always love Oregon, but it's just not home for us. We just don't know where in CO we will live yet.

If you are seriously considering Portland, I would recommend you plan multiple visits to the city during the winter and spring. If you can, stay a few weeks so you can truly experience the climate and see if it's a good fit for you. Summer in Portland and all of the PNW is absolutely gorgeous, but it's very short and doesn't give you a good picture of the overall climate (not sure when you visited).

Old 04-07-2013, 02:13 PM

3,176 posts, read 6,217,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by delta07 View Post
lalahartma, I moved to Bend, OR 5 years ago from Grand Junction (and a lifetime of living in CO). The lack of sun adjustment has been extremely hard on me, and I live on the "sunny" side of the Cascades compared to Portland. I think Portland is a fantastic city, but I personally never could live there because of the dreary skies from about November to July. There are "sun breaks" as the local weather folks call them, and everyone gets really excited to see the sun for an hour or 10 minutes. I never realized how much this would affect me until I moved to the PNW. After 5 years of living here, my husband and I have decided we are moving back to CO. We will always love Oregon, but it's just not home for us. We just don't know where in CO we will live yet.

If you are seriously considering Portland, I would recommend you plan multiple visits to the city during the winter and spring. If you can, stay a few weeks so you can truly experience the climate and see if it's a good fit for you. Summer in Portland and all of the PNW is absolutely gorgeous, but it's very short and doesn't give you a good picture of the overall climate (not sure when you visited).
This is a very thoughtful assesment of the PNW and Portland, delta. My parents moved from CO to Portland while we were still living in CO. My mother specifically loves a lush landscape and rain. She treasures rainy days and doesn't think sunny days are that much better than an overcast day, she felt this way as long as I could recall and she's lived in CA, CO and CT. She also considers anything over 75 degrees hot and makes it known she doesn't care for heat.

They spent a year there before they left. While she appreciated the lush greenery, remarked on the beautiful moss growing everywhere, she decided after 5-6 months it was just TOO overcast and TOO rainy, even for her. She said it actually affected her long-term outlook. Keep in mind both my mother and father are retired so it's not like they were working in an office building, inside, 9 hours a day, 5 days a week where you might not notice the gloom as much. Instead, every day trip, outing, daytime errand was filled with clouds and/or drizzle. Still it was surprising to me how much it wore on her. (My father hated every minute of it but I knew he would, he prefers heat and needs sun.)

Old 04-07-2013, 03:28 PM

10,688 posts, read 7,715,732 times
Default Actually the inflow and outflows were rather balanced

Here is Allied Van Lines take on the inflows and outflows from states. Colorado is rather balanced:

Home > Migration Patterns

2012 Migration Patterns

Based on 73,256 Interstate and Cross-Border Household Goods Relocations
from January 1, 2012 through December 31, 2012.
(Click on individual state/province for 10-year historical data.)

View PDF Version (796 KB)
View the Moving Migration Patterns Infographic

Where is America moving?

Since January 1993, Atlas Van Lines has reviewed and released data on the origins and destinations of interstate moves throughout the previous calendar year. The 2012 Migration Patterns study results provide a snapshot of relocation patterns and this year reflect that there have been more shifts from inbound and outbound to balanced states.
Moving Migration Patterns | Atlas Van Lines

Pretty obvious that ND with its new oil fields is attracting a lot of attention. Not sure about other areas.

Old 04-07-2013, 03:41 PM

26,217 posts, read 49,052,722 times
Warden, great posting, thank you. +5

I note that COLO is steadily a bit heavier inbound, though not by much these days. Readers should click the link for the PDF version as it gives much more stats.

Side note, I see that CA is now back to heavier in-flows, at least for this one carrier, but one could safely assume that the other major van lines have a similar experience.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver