Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2012, 05:17 PM

7,138 posts, read 11,032,050 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ming Ming View Post
You moved from here, yet this is the only city you post in... interesting.
First, that is not correct. Only about half of my posts are in the Denver forum.

Second, why is that a surprise to you? As I said, Denver is a fantastic city. It's an interesting place, and I still like to keep up with what is happening in Denver. Thats why I read and sometimes post to the Denver forum. I just would not choose to live in Denver again, for the reasons outlined in my post. Actually it's not even an option. I'm getting too old to be dealing with any temperatures below freezing. That leaves Denver out. At least for winter time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2012, 05:30 PM

7,138 posts, read 11,032,050 times
Quote:
I noticed native Coloradans are really proud and a little xenophobic ( I don't mean that in bad way). In California, we don't care of we are native or not but most prefer not to leave California though.
Actually when I first moved to California in the late 1990s, I heard from a lot of xenophobic Californians. "You people moving here are wrecking the state and driving up the cost of living". Since the economy went bust and people started leaving, I don't hear that anymore.

Old 10-04-2012, 05:57 PM

230 posts, read 409,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaaBoom View Post
Actually when I first moved to California in the late 1990s, I heard from a lot of xenophobic Californians. "You people moving here are wrecking the state and driving up the cost of living". Since the economy went bust and people started leaving, I don't hear that anymore.

They are in Denver.... and Arizona apparently

Old 10-04-2012, 06:03 PM

2,309 posts, read 4,385,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adamz View Post
I moved back to the east coast after 10 years in Denver.

I liked Denver, but never grew to love it.

I missed the ocean, deciduous forests, and my family.
Yep, like in my post.

I missed my thick dense hardwood forests, the almost jungle like vegetation, rain and pastoral landscapes.
Now that I'm back in PA I certainly do not miss the treeless, brown, smog, dry emptiness that represents Colorado.

Old 10-04-2012, 06:09 PM

2,309 posts, read 4,385,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragazza2011 View Post
For those of you who left Denver, where did you go?
Back to eastern Pennsylvania.

Old 10-05-2012, 05:56 PM

152 posts, read 392,421 times
Yes, I know people who have! People chase opportunities in other cities, want to live a different lifestyle, or want to experience something new. I know of several natives and transplants who have left!

Old 10-05-2012, 06:52 PM

92 posts, read 189,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboyxjon View Post
I've lived in Denver for nearly six years, but I know I won't stay forever. There are a few reasons for that:.
  1. I feel like Colorado will eventually follow in the footsteps of California in terms of politics and the cost of living, and I've 'been there, done that'. (hope I'm wrong)
  2. .

I am a native Californian and we are trying to get to Colorado as we have extended family there. We are worried about this same thing. Our family members have expressed the same concerns as well--especially recently. However, none of them plan to leave as they all love it and most have been there 20 + years. We figure we've got 14 more years of raising our kids and we'd like to do it in a better place than we are now--with the added bonus of family.

Old 10-06-2012, 10:40 AM

659 posts, read 1,014,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CO_Transplant View Post
Yes, I know people who have! People chase opportunities in other cities, want to live a different lifestyle, or want to experience something new. I know of several natives and transplants who have left!
I know you hate Denver so of course you apparently know many people who do to, all your posts are negative.

I have yet to meet one person who hates Denver, the ones that have left for school or job opportunities either come back or miss Denver terribly. Denver is not for everyone and neither is chocolate. But most people LOVE chocolate. So I think it' safe to say most people love Denver or Colorado... very few don't like it or want to leave.

Old 10-06-2012, 02:23 PM

13,395 posts, read 45,027,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snikt View Post
I moved here from Florida, and I can't fathom why anyone would move back. I may be biased, but FL is just awful. Everyone I bring here on vacation that lives there seems to agree also

The people, the weather, economics, scenery, like everything here is upgraded
I moved to Denver with my family in 1968, and left (for north Florida, which I very much enjoy) in 2005.
Even though I was 14 when I left the east coast, I missed the ocean for the many years I lived in Denver, and now that I'm out of there I enjoy a real springtime and I *don't* miss the snow that shows up at the oddest times. Just my opinion, I know there are plenty of ex-Floridians who happily embraced Colorado.
I still have family in Colorado and enjoy visiting, I was just out there in July, we had a great vacation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboyxjon View Post
I've lived in Denver for nearly six years, but I know I won't stay forever. There are a few reasons for that:
  1. I want to try living in other places.
  2. I'm not originally from Colorado and have no family here, other than my immediate family.
  3. I feel like Colorado will eventually follow in the footsteps of California in terms of politics and the cost of living, and I've 'been there, done that'. (hope I'm wrong)
  4. It's too isolated and too far from other large cities.

In the meantime, however, Denver is a great place to live. But I know I won't stay.
I completely agree with living in other places. The USA has so much to offer. Denver is a great place to live but it is not the Promised Land for everyone.
About the footsteps of California: One of the reasons we left was because Denver was beginning to feel awfully crowded.
People have been worrying about that since I was a teenager. Does anyone else remember the referendum for the 1976 Olympics, and the accompanying bumper sticker?

Old 10-06-2012, 02:33 PM

152 posts, read 392,421 times
Quote:
I know you hate Denver so of course you apparently know many people who do to, all your posts are negative.

I have yet to meet one person who hates Denver, the ones that have left for school or job opportunities either come back or miss Denver terribly. Denver is not for everyone and neither is chocolate. But most people LOVE chocolate. So I think it' safe to say most people love Denver or Colorado... very few don't like it or want to leave.
I didn't say that I know many people who have left Denver. I do know some! Just because you don't know anyone who hates Denver doesn't mean they don't exist! The same goes with your chocolate statement. There are plenty of people who don't like chocolate and there are people who don't even care to try chocolate. One thing I don't get about this city is the expectation to conform. The statement "everyone loves it here, therefore you should love it too" seems to reign supreme here!

I don't know where you got this idea that most everyone who leaves Denver can't wait to return! There have been a couple people in this thread who have left Denver and don't wish to come back. I guess you skipped over their posts! Many people who don't like Denver have very valid arguments for leaving... It's too cold, too isolated, too dull, too expensive, too far from the ocean, too far from family, too far from culture, or whatever other reason!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver