Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2012, 08:57 AM

2 posts, read 9,753 times

Advertisements

Single girl moving from the NYC region and I can't decide on Seattle or Denver. I don't mind the rain and I don't care much about the sun but I love to be active and spend time outdoors. I will be moving without a job and looking once I get there so being able to find a job easily is a big factor. Also, I am originally from Europe so I love meeting international people and I will be traveling a lot all over the West coast. Overall I am into a healthy lifestyle, with some spirituality on the side (yoga, meditation, inner peace) and I would love to get into a city with that type of a vibe. Feeling good inside is way more important to me than rain or sun, etc. Any opinions and suggestions will be very much appreciated. Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2012, 09:45 AM

17,710 posts, read 29,834,812 times
Default Expand your list

Also consider
Portland
San Francisco

And, I will state what everyone here will say: GET A JOB FIRST

Old 12-20-2012, 11:12 AM

26,218 posts, read 49,060,172 times
IMO that part about traveling a lot to the west coast tells me that Portland or Seattle are best. In addition to coastal flights there is also train service along the coast that can be useful to a frequent traveler.

IMO Denver is too far from all those west coast cities.

My favorite city out there is San Francisco but the housing prices are ludicrous, and it's so damned crowded.

If I had to live out there I'd pick Seattle and the Puget Sound area.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 12-20-2012, 11:36 AM

6,288 posts, read 11,783,819 times
Seattle's probably the better bet for you, as long as you don't mind doing outdoors stuff in the rain. I have a couple friends that live there and they tell me that the hiking and camping is good as long as you're willing to do it in rain. Also Seattle is the bigger city so there's probably more jobs, although that may depend on what field you're in.

THe biggest advantage I can see in Denver is the sunshine, but you said that wasn't important to you so there wouldn't be any advantage to you're moving there. Also Seattle has a larger international presence and is only two hours drive from Vancouver BC which is a very international, cosmopolitan city.

Old 12-20-2012, 11:59 AM

792 posts, read 2,874,930 times
Are you more Barbie (Denver), or tackle box exploded in my face (Seattle)?

Old 12-20-2012, 06:45 PM

51 posts, read 159,355 times
Take a scouting trip to each to see if either one really appeals to you. Even if you've visited the cities in the past, go on this trip with an eye toward being a resident (look at apts, go into grocery stores, check out yoga studios, wander around the neighborhoods, and talk to people you meet). Then go with your gut. You may find Denver to be too small, especially coming from NYC, or you might enjoy the change. It certainly is a fit/healthy city.

I moved to Denver by myself without a job almost 5 months ago, and I received a job offer in my field exactly two months after I arrived. It happened much faster than I had expected, so it's doable. It just depends on your field, your skills, how you present yourself, and how much you want to live somewhere.

Old 12-20-2012, 07:19 PM

2,175 posts, read 4,301,353 times
I don't understand how people in Seattle and Portland can be outdoorsy. Do they always carry umbrellas or just don't mind being wet?

Old 12-20-2012, 07:30 PM

17,710 posts, read 29,834,812 times
Default That is why the gods invented

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryK123 View Post
I don't understand how people in Seattle and Portland can be outdoorsy. Do they always carry umbrellas or just don't mind being wet?
GORE-TEX® Fabrics - GORE-TEX® Products

Old 12-20-2012, 09:22 PM

5,610 posts, read 23,314,867 times
Based on what you're saying I think you clearly need to be in the west coast, not Denver. Either Seattle, Portland, or San Francisco. Or maybe even a small city/ small town in northern CA, OR, or WA. Not to say that you can't find such a scene here, but Denver is not a new-agey "spiritual" town. This place is about burgers, beer, and sports.

Old 12-21-2012, 12:51 AM

200 posts, read 482,897 times
Yes, I would have to agree with the above responders. Or are they below? Even without having visited Denver in 20 years, I think the West coast (SF, PDX, SEA) is known as more culturally diverse (Asia's just on the other side of the ocean), more liberal and open-minded and of course wetter. Which I do want to say, even though you say it isn't important, make sure you mean it. I've been here in Olympia now for 2 months and even though I don't mind rain, the 2 days a week of sun just isn't enough. Drizzle, drizzle, drizzle. Heavily overcast, heavily overcast, you get the pic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
View detailed profiles of: