Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2013, 12:19 PM

1,543 posts, read 2,958,477 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackmet View Post
I consider winter to be the time period between Halloween and Cinco De Mayo. It's not a harsh, unrelenting winter...there are plenty of reasonably nice days mixed in.

That being said, by this point in April, you and everyone else will be pretty much sick of it.
Wow. That's even worse then my winter duration definition (Halloween to April Fools Day). But this year, it sounds about right. You are correct, there are generally nice days mixed in - I always say that winter is long but moderate around here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2013, 01:13 PM

7,138 posts, read 11,032,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
Didn't you hear? It was so awful, 2000 people DIED in Denver yesterday! Many of them were frost bitten to death. The others died because the sun only peeked out for 2 minutes, so they actually died from vitamin D deficiency. And of course, many died from chapped lips.
LOL, make jokes about it, but April and May snowstorms with subfreezing temperatures are not for everyone. If you like it, thats fine. I'm just trying to put Denver's weather in perspective.

Old 04-24-2013, 01:29 PM

7,138 posts, read 11,032,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDog77 View Post
Denver's average UV index was 6.16 in 2012 versus San Jose's of 5.95. National average is 4.9.

We get more sun than you do.
That's simply not correct. I'm not even sure what the UV index has to do with it. The elevation may have something to do with that anyway.

Denver's sunshine average is 69%. San Jose is 78%.

I understand that Denver's weather works for many people. Just don't fool yourself into thinking that you are living in the sunbelt, because you are not.

Old 04-24-2013, 01:36 PM

14,164 posts, read 27,231,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
I think most of us (even those who like snow) are "over it"...but it is what it is, and the occasional (or more ) spring snowfall is part of living in Colorado. I'd still prefer that to the weather in many other parts of the country (yes, even San Jose ).
And remember, it might be nicer in other parts of the country to the east of Colorado, but while they're sweating and swatting bugs all Summer, we'll be sitting on our patios, sipping wine, without the smelly bug spray

Old 04-24-2013, 01:37 PM

14,164 posts, read 27,231,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaaBoom View Post
LOL, make jokes about it, but April and May snowstorms with subfreezing temperatures are not for everyone. If you like it, thats fine. I'm just trying to put Denver's weather in perspective.
I hate April about every year (last April was unusually nice), but at least I don't have to dread Summer, as I would if I lived anywhere east of here.

Old 04-24-2013, 02:11 PM

31 posts, read 51,732 times
Quote:
That's simply not correct. I'm not even sure what the UV index has to do with it. The elevation may have something to do with that anyway.

I understand that Denver's weather works for many people. Just don't fool yourself into thinking that you are living in the sunbelt, because you are not.
The cloud cover does seem to be more severe if you live in the foothills versus in-town Denver. Just look at the weather map, the cloud cover almost completely evaporates once it hits the plains in Denver and surrounding areas.

During the summer afternoon storm season especially, you can see the clouds rolling over golden but they rarely move into city of Denver.

Old 04-24-2013, 04:10 PM

833 posts, read 1,712,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sprint100 View Post
Take it from experience. I'm Southern California born and raised then lived in AZ two years. Denver is not comparable. We moved from Valencia CA to AZ thinking that it was comparable. It was an entirely different beast. Even the heat in Southern California is unbearable at times. Don't get fooled with one visit either, we decided to move to AZ after what we thought was a lengthy visit. That was the honeymoon period, we're never moving back as long as we can help it. We're not even thinking of moving back to CA.
Yeah, Arizona summers (and most of spring and fall) are their own little version of hell, aren't they?

Old 04-24-2013, 04:24 PM

139 posts, read 300,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prodigal Native View Post
Yeah, Arizona summers (and most of spring and fall) are their own little version of hell, aren't they?
Yeah, everybody gets suckered into thinking oh, its 95 degrees here so I can handle 102 degrees just from watching the weather report

Old 04-24-2013, 04:24 PM

833 posts, read 1,712,913 times
Quote:

Am I the only one who actually likes clouds? I don't mean dreary, socked in, Pacific Northwest clouds, I mean happy little clouds.

You know, the sun ducks behind a cloud for a minute, you notice it gets cooler, it comes back out and you feel the warmth penetrate your body...

I don't get what it is with the people that want so much sun. All the time, just SUN! That is one of the reasons I want out or Arizona, it's got too much sun. The temperature may be OK for a bike ride, but there will be nothing but pure, unadulterated SUN to make it miserable.

Don't postpone it until tomorrow, we will just have more sun. A couple of weeks from now we will have sun and wind... non-stop for about a month.

Yeah, it's a dry heat, but with the wind that just means it feels like I live in a convection oven.

I guess what I am saying is that who has more sun or whatever type of weather you prefer doesn't matter nearly as much as the quality of that weather.

Colorado has some top-notch weather and frequently will show off two or three styles in one day just to make its point.

</rant>

Old 04-24-2013, 05:05 PM

55 posts, read 88,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffblond33 View Post
Denver is similar. Trust me, I was unemployed last summer. It stays in the 90s and is hot as hell until 11:30 at night for 4 full months from June to October. Mornings, I will admit, are heavenly here though.

This "dry heat is better" nonsense is just plain dumb.

Seattle and Chicago have much better summers than here and both those places are humid as hell.
Isn't the actual city of Denver very hot during the summer, but surrounding burbs are cooler? I've seen 10 degree differences between downtown Denver and areas such as Evergreen. Conversely, such areas may get more snow later in the season, since they're at higher altitude.

And believe me, I'll take 90's with low humidity than 90's with 90% humidity like we have on LI. The dry heat doesn't ring you out as much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver