Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2015, 12:20 PM

2,483 posts, read 4,373,702 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoLongCalifornia View Post
the San Jose music scene is TERRIBLE... People don't seem to really value music much here for a few reasons:
1) Too busy with their jobs
2) Multicultural nature of the area actually means people are more siloed to their own ethnic communities with less cross-pollination of musical genres
3) Just not a cultural value.
I lived in and around SJ for 12+ years before moving to CO. I agree the the SJ music scene is pretty lackluster for a city of its size, but I don't agree with your reasons why. There is really only one reason why the SJ scene is the way it is: San Francisco is less than 50 miles away.

People in SJ love their music, and I had several friends and acquaintances in some pretty successful bands when I lived there. But they almost all either lived in or regularly went to SF to play and watch music there. Whatever isn't squeezed into "the city" spills down the peninsula to places like Palo Alto, or maybe over to Oakland, but relatively little of it makes it all the way to SanHo! I liked living in that area because it wasn't a big scene, so it was a lot easier to get to work and live my life. But if you want MUSIC to be your life then obviously you'd want to immerse yourself into that scene.

Between Denver and Austin, the latter is much more well known for its music scene, so that seems like the obvious choice. But it's hard to beat SF as a musical hub, so perhaps a much shorter move would be in order. I know... the $$$ is a real issue... Most of my not-so-youthful music acquaintances there are still working tech jobs during the day and commuting to SF at night so that they can keep on playing. Incidentally, the only ones I personally know of who really 'made it' are based out of Portland anyways, so go figure...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2015, 01:33 PM

18 posts, read 66,885 times
I'll have to check out an open mic when we visit soon.

Last edited by SoLongCalifornia; 01-22-2015 at 01:37 PM.. Reason: iPhone is crap for typing and copy and paste.

Old 01-25-2015, 08:52 PM

371 posts, read 363,108 times
The Good-- As I heard our governor say at the recent Colorado Music Hall of Fame induction event, Denver had more concerts at more venues last year than Austin. Well, well! There are a flock of successful Colorado musicians right now who do very well from this home base.

The Bad-- Denver is about the most isolated major city on the US mainland. Once you've played all the local venues from Ft. Collins to Colorado Springs, where else do you go? It's a day's drive to Alberquerque or KC or Salt Lake City, and those are different cultures. Ski towns book bands in season, but not so many, and it's a difficult drive. So the kind of revolving bus tours that feed Nashville musicians just aren't possible. If you're famous enough to fly to your gigs, that may not matter, but it must be tough on the van-bands.

I wouldn't be looking a Centennial, Highlands Ranch or Littleton. They're quiet, straight-laced conservative suburbs where you can get a ticket for leaving your garage door open, never mind holding a band practice. Denver's music venues are in Denver, and in the long run, you should be, too.

Old 01-26-2015, 10:33 AM

11,474 posts, read 11,565,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheatridger View Post
The Good-- As I heard our governor say at the recent Colorado Music Hall of Fame induction event, Denver had more concerts at more venues last year than Austin. Well, well! There are a flock of successful Colorado musicians right now who do very well from this home base.

The Bad-- Denver is about the most isolated major city on the US mainland. Once you've played all the local venues from Ft. Collins to Colorado Springs, where else do you go? It's a day's drive to Alberquerque or KC or Salt Lake City, and those are different cultures. Ski towns book bands in season, but not so many, and it's a difficult drive. So the kind of revolving bus tours that feed Nashville musicians just aren't possible. If you're famous enough to fly to your gigs, that may not matter, but it must be tough on the van-bands.

I wouldn't be looking a Centennial, Highlands Ranch or Littleton. They're quiet, straight-laced conservative suburbs where you can get a ticket for leaving your garage door open, never mind holding a band practice. Denver's music venues are in Denver, and in the long run, you should be, too.
Great take.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver