Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2008, 04:29 PM

19 posts, read 143,030 times

Advertisements

Hey all...I'm considering a move from Chicago to Denver. I'm a 28 year old single male. I'm a dentist and I love the outdoors (skiing, mountain biking, fishing, etc.). I was wondering how the single life is in Denver compared to Chicago. In Chicago, being single is fantastic...LOTS of beautiful women, great restaurants, unlimited amount of bars and clubs to go to. However, there is a little bit of a snobbish attitude to many of the girls here. Like they somehow deserve something b/c they are attractive. Plus, a lot of them here aren't very active or like outdoorsy stuff. How's Denver? You may say, well why the heck are you moving? It's boils down to overall lifestyle really. Chicago is expensive, lots of competition for my job market and I need to get out of the Midwest for awhile.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2008, 12:40 PM

1,664 posts, read 4,366,803 times
Wow...sounds a lot like Denver & Boulder. Don't come here if your goal is to get women...you'll find the same thing, in general. Come here if you don't care about women and just want to enjoy everything CO has to offer. In my experience the best things happen when you're not really 'working the scene', anyway.

Old 01-31-2008, 07:27 PM

2,756 posts, read 12,977,971 times
There's been a lot of posts here about how Colorado's recreational lifestyle tends to attract more single men than women. This difference is particularly dramatic in the mountains, but also to a small extent in Denver itself. It's not something you'd notice right away, but eventually you may pick up on the fact that there are slightly more men than women around. Apparently, this is pretty much also the case in other western cities: Phoenix, Seattle, Portland, all the same story; slightly more young single men than women. The big east coast cities, apparently, have slightly fewer young single males than females.

In contrast to what you're present experience is, I think you'll find the majority of singles here pretty athletic and outdoorsy, though it's not 100% by any means.

Old 02-09-2008, 07:28 PM

6 posts, read 74,537 times
Default Single life in Denver

Is it really true that there are more single men than women in Denver? Or is that just a lot of hype?

Old 02-09-2008, 07:51 PM

26,218 posts, read 49,052,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InVaForNow View Post
Is it really true that there are more single men than women in Denver? Or is that just a lot of hype?
Considered to be true... though I haven't checked with Snopes to see if it's an urban legend.

Details are in a thread called THE PEOPLE, you can find a link to that thread in the Index, or search on PEOPLE.

Old 02-09-2008, 07:56 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,375,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BHallDDS View Post
In Chicago, being single is fantastic...LOTS of beautiful women, great restaurants, unlimited amount of bars and clubs to go to. However, there is a little bit of a snobbish attitude to many of the girls here. Like they somehow deserve something b/c they are attractive. Plus, a lot of them here aren't very active or like outdoorsy stuff. How's Denver?
Just stumbled onto this thread....can't vouch for Denver, but please take a pass on both Portland and Seattle. In this corner, the preponderance of unattractive, alternative-type women makes it real difficult for clean-cut professional men, assuming from your post that that is what you probably are. Somebody in the Mile High City help out this gentleman....
Sidebar: I once read that the highest numbers of single women were in Philadelphia and Baltimore. Neither of those places would interest me, personally...

Old 02-09-2008, 09:06 PM

6 posts, read 74,537 times
The highest number of single women is definitely Washington DC. (Trust me, I know!)

Old 02-09-2008, 09:25 PM

271 posts, read 1,380,910 times
Statistically, there are more single men than single women in Denver metro, particularly in the 20s and 30s age ranges, and particularly in Denver proper. I'm undecided on whether this is a particularly significant factor in quality of life. The statistics aren't any more specific, as far as what you might actually be looking for in a partner.

Old 02-10-2008, 09:10 PM

19 posts, read 143,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oberon View Post
Statistically, there are more single men than single women in Denver metro, particularly in the 20s and 30s age ranges, and particularly in Denver proper. I'm undecided on whether this is a particularly significant factor in quality of life. The statistics aren't any more specific, as far as what you might actually be looking for in a partner.
I love the city of Chicago...and of all the cities I've been to/or lived, I can say that it's one of the best for being single. However, while Chicago has a VERY dynamic population (tons of diversity), what gets me about the girls here is they are usually pretty one-dimensional. A large majority of them fit the same mold...sorority type of girl who tans alot, has a Louis Vuitton purse and UGG Boots and whose idea of outdoor activity is laying on the beach on Lake Michigan. Yeah, nice to look at but not much in terms of substance. I realize this is somewhat of a narrow minded opinion but as a 28 year-old single professional these are the types of girls I consistently end up meeting while out in Chicago. It gets old after awhile. While I'm moving to Denver more b/c of job opportunities, the mountains and overall lifestyle...I am exploring how the dating scene will be. I guess I want to find a cute girl who can rip some fresh powder and isn't afraid to rough it.

Old 02-11-2008, 12:04 AM

2 posts, read 30,530 times
Quote:
A large majority of them fit the same mold...sorority type of girl who tans alot, has a Louis Vuitton purse and UGG Boots and whose idea of outdoor activity is laying on the beach on Lake Michigan
Wow, it is nice to hear guys say they don't like the "sorority type girl". I am a 26-year old female who will probably be moving to Denver this summer. I am more of the sensible type who isn't so superficial and likes outdoor stuff. From reading the online forums I have noticed many other single women like me moving to Denver for similar reasons...i.e. better place for singles, access to recreation, etc. Looks like there are slightly more men than women though..
From the 2000 census (for Denver proper):

61000 men, aged 25-35
52000 women, aged 25-35
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver