Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-03-2016, 06:34 PM

6,658 posts, read 4,748,387 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty-Mill View Post
Here's a nice article that pretty much sums in up:

Where There Are More Single Men Than Women - CityLab
Basically all metros in the U.S. are a sausage fest for a young guy unless he wants to hook up with a woman over 35
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2016, 06:42 PM

214 posts, read 260,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lugnuts View Post
^ Replied to wrong thread. Hey Mike wanna wipe this^?
The one post on this thread that's actually interesting.

Old 06-03-2016, 06:55 PM

22,339 posts, read 29,439,446 times
I come from Miami so Denver does not nearly compare to the people in Miami. I guess I'm just spoiled that way

Old 06-04-2016, 04:19 AM

511 posts, read 402,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vegaspilgrim View Post
I've said this for years (you can check my posting history going back to 2007) and still affirm it-- I think overall, people in Phoenix are a notch friendlier than people in Denver. Within Denver, recent transplants are the friendliest and most open to new relationships and friendships and natives and long term residents are the least friendly-- often downright cold.
Sounds a bit like Portland when I lived up there. Word was that the natives hated transplants. Amnesty for all refugees and immigrants... except anyone who shows up within the Oregon state lines.

Quote:
I also agree with you that the male-female ratio seems more balanced in Phoenix than it is in Denver. Unfortunately-- and maybe this is a generational thing with the younger generation-- it seems that social life revolves around drinking alcohol-- that's true in both Denver and Phoenix. Between the two, I think Phoenix's (well, Scottsdale actually) bar scene is nicer than Denver's.
Wow... really? If Old Town Scottsdale is a better than Denver, I'm out. I've lived here from '95 - '07, and again from '12 until now and while some nicer, more upscale places have popped up on the waterfront side (a.k.a. if you want a good meal, Tapas Papa Frita is amazing), it's the last place I'd go for a night out / to meet women. Songs have been written in gist about it:

I mean the times I've been to Denver, I wasn't exactly bar hopping, but I did hit a few places and I guess I was just lucky as the places I hit weren't anywhere near as brotacular as AZ joints. A lot were in the LoHi & Highlands areas when I was babysitting my brother's condo there, so maybe that's just an island of funky/cool places, but that's why I'm asking about the area in the first place.

Quote:
Personally, I would suggest just living wherever you want to live, leaving females out of the equation for the moment. What makes you happy? Where do you feel the most at home culturally? Which geography, climate, outdoor activities, regional things to do suits you best? What do you like to do for fun? Where do you have the best job opportunities for your career path? Any obligations to others? For many, the dominating factor may be where do you have existing family and/or friends. Whatever factors matter most -- if that's Denver, let it be Denver, if it's somewhere else, go somewhere else. But trying to pick your city based on quantifying whether the dating scene is better in place A vs place B may be futile since dating, from a man's point of view, is really a "your mileage may vary" thing.
Great advice, but that's what I did that last time around, and like I said, while I don't regret the career building part of it, this really needs to be a priority this time around. I feel a bit on the clock, and at this point, I'd put it over career building. I made rather good scratch at my last gig, and well, it's kind of overrated if you can't have a lifestyle to go home to. Disposable income is nice and all, but I'm chasing what I enjoy in life and not money for the sake of money. Maybe if I get back into owning expensive sports cars again, but I'm kind of over that. I just want to travel (with a girlfriend/wife), cook, hang with friends, enjoy my hobbies, and make music. I'm happy with a nice guitar, set of headphones, or $200 bottle of Islay Scotch every once in a while. I'm well within that bracket.

It'd be one thing if I was getting bad dates and just had to sift through the proverbial chaff, but I'm pretty sure I've right-swiped the entire valley at this point and no one swiped me back. I'm not a bad looking guy. I'm educated, worldly, done well in my career, I stay reasonably fit, don't have any baggage, substance abuse issues. Not to trash on everyone in PHX, but I don't think I'm basic or blue collar enough for women around here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gassyyoungman View Post
I'm 31.

It's not my style but Denver seems to attract that rare breed of single woman/man who is not a sociopath, not mentally ill but still single in their 30's, looking for a partner.

Sorry to be rude but in real life that's a pretty rare combination. In NYC everyone is single but also sociopathic. Broken ppl for the most part. In LA the same. In San Fran it's mostly family money kids pretending to work for a fake job that sounds hip on linkedin but in reality they live on trust funds.

Denver, I don't know what it is...but it seems to attract ppl in their 30's who have it together but just haven't met that special person.

I consider Denver the best dating city in the US for late-20's early 30's ppl.
I'm so confused at this point... LOL!

You're describing me in a nutshell, though. I don't feel the need to undersell or oversell myself. I just need to make enough to live comfortably, and to balance that with what I enjoy doing in life from the constructive and experiential standpoint. AZ culture has no concept of this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by himain View Post
I come from Miami so Denver does not nearly compare to the people in Miami. I guess I'm just spoiled that way
Tell me more. Miami is on my list. A bit off topic, but PM me if you could.

Last edited by Mr_Polymath; 06-04-2016 at 04:33 AM..

Old 06-04-2016, 06:32 AM

17,710 posts, read 29,829,274 times
Default Of course

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lugnuts View Post
The aspen colony near Kebler Pass in the West Elks is supposed to be one of the largest organisms in the world.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=epkdangGuow

Old 06-04-2016, 11:23 PM

850 posts, read 796,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Polymath View Post
Sounds a bit like Portland when I lived up there. Word was that the natives hated transplants. Amnesty for all refugees and immigrants... except anyone who shows up within the Oregon state lines.

Wow... really? If Old Town Scottsdale is a better than Denver, I'm out. I've lived here from '95 - '07, and again from '12 until now and while some nicer, more upscale places have popped up on the waterfront side (a.k.a. if you want a good meal, Tapas Papa Frita is amazing), it's the last place I'd go for a night out / to meet women. Songs have been written in gist about it:

I mean the times I've been to Denver, I wasn't exactly bar hopping, but I did hit a few places and I guess I was just lucky as the places I hit weren't anywhere near as brotacular as AZ joints. A lot were in the LoHi & Highlands areas when I was babysitting my brother's condo there, so maybe that's just an island of funky/cool places, but that's why I'm asking about the area in the first place.

Great advice, but that's what I did that last time around, and like I said, while I don't regret the career building part of it, this really needs to be a priority this time around. I feel a bit on the clock, and at this point, I'd put it over career building. I made rather good scratch at my last gig, and well, it's kind of overrated if you can't have a lifestyle to go home to. Disposable income is nice and all, but I'm chasing what I enjoy in life and not money for the sake of money. Maybe if I get back into owning expensive sports cars again, but I'm kind of over that. I just want to travel (with a girlfriend/wife), cook, hang with friends, enjoy my hobbies, and make music. I'm happy with a nice guitar, set of headphones, or $200 bottle of Islay Scotch every once in a while. I'm well within that bracket.

It'd be one thing if I was getting bad dates and just had to sift through the proverbial chaff, but I'm pretty sure I've right-swiped the entire valley at this point and no one swiped me back. I'm not a bad looking guy. I'm educated, worldly, done well in my career, I stay reasonably fit, don't have any baggage, substance abuse issues. Not to trash on everyone in PHX, but I don't think I'm basic or blue collar enough for women around here.

I'm so confused at this point... LOL!

You're describing me in a nutshell, though. I don't feel the need to undersell or oversell myself. I just need to make enough to live comfortably, and to balance that with what I enjoy doing in life from the constructive and experiential standpoint. AZ culture has no concept of this.

Tell me more. Miami is on my list. A bit off topic, but PM me if you could.
Hey I have been living in scottsdale for about 1.5 years and I can't stand it here. The women here are LA wannabies. This place is nothing more than plastic surgery and fancy cars. 100 degree heat for 4 months doesn't make it any better. I can't believe Im saying this, but southern cal women are more down to earth and educated than arizona women.

Old 06-05-2016, 12:46 AM

511 posts, read 402,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oping00 View Post
Hey I have been living in scottsdale for about 1.5 years and I can't stand it here. The women here are LA wannabies. This place is nothing more than plastic surgery and fancy cars. 100 degree heat for 4 months doesn't make it any better. I can't believe Im saying this, but southern cal women are more down to earth and educated than arizona women.
No, you're definitely on point. I've said exactly this before. People's attempts around here to emulate SoCal culture (along with a dose of Jersey Shore) end up exaggeratedly worse than the source material. A lot of it isn't even attractive, especially as people get older and try harder and harder at it. All the leathery skin with peroxide trashed hair sporting bizarrely spherical bolt-ons. No thanks.

I more-or-less stopped going out as I'm looking at relocating, but when I was Scottsdale was almost never on the list of places I'd go, unless I was hitting a specific restaurant for dinner. I live up here and can afford it by a good margin, I just refuse to play dress up and big talk my career, etc. over crap music. whilst spending too much on watered down drinks.

Old 06-05-2016, 06:19 AM

11,474 posts, read 11,562,622 times
Quote:
No, you're definitely on point. I've said exactly this before. People's attempts around here to emulate SoCal culture (along with a dose of Jersey Shore) end up exaggeratedly worse than the source material. A lot of it isn't even attractive, especially as people get older and try harder and harder at it. All the leathery skin with peroxide trashed hair sporting bizarrely spherical bolt-ons. No thanks.

I more-or-less stopped going out as I'm looking at relocating, but when I was Scottsdale was almost never on the list of places I'd go, unless I was hitting a specific restaurant for dinner. I live up here and can afford it by a good margin, I just refuse to play dress up and big talk my career, etc. over crap music. whilst spending too much on watered down drinks.
This is what differentiates the Denver scene from say Las Vegas, Miami, LA, Phoenix, etc.... Far less plastic or image driven. More focus on outdoor athletics.

You really need to come visit and spend some time going to bars, breweries, and trails. If you don't plan to hike, ski, climb or backpack, I think that it does limit you. Personally, the women I see at the rock climbing gym are far more attractive ones I see in Las Vegas, but that personal preference. I imagine it can also be a bit daunting to a guy who is worried about getting his ass kicked by a girl. If you're alright with that, the door is wide open.

Last edited by SkyDog77; 06-05-2016 at 06:29 AM..

Old 06-05-2016, 11:20 AM

850 posts, read 796,676 times
Quote:

Im originally from the midwest, while the women weren't the prettiest they you will meet more down to earth and grounded people than scottsdale and other places I lived such as Atlanta.

Old 06-06-2016, 12:03 AM

3,409 posts, read 4,636,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDog77 View Post
This is what differentiates the Denver scene from say Las Vegas, Miami, LA, Phoenix, etc.... Far less plastic or image driven. More focus on outdoor athletics.

You really need to come visit and spend some time going to bars, breweries, and trails. If you don't plan to hike, ski, climb or backpack, I think that it does limit you. Personally, the women I see at the rock climbing gym are far more attractive ones I see in Las Vegas, but that personal preference. I imagine it can also be a bit daunting to a guy who is worried about getting his ass kicked by a girl. If you're alright with that, the door is wide open.
You're not into these types of women, Skydog? She's an adult entertainer from AZ.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver