Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2016, 04:41 PM

511 posts, read 402,473 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDog77 View Post
The people who replied are the most grumpy, anti Denver folks on this board. Take it with a grain of salt.
So, what is the situation there then? Now I'm confused. Perhaps something less anecdotal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil P View Post
I won't lie, it does feel like the odds are biased against you because there really is a gender gap. This means that online dating and other things like that are even less effective than elsewhere.

That being said, there is a big young population, so it should be reasonably easy to find people your age to hang out with. And the females that are there tend to be more fit, making them more attractive than some non-fit ones across the nation.

They are out there, it just takes more work to find them with the gender imbalance. That doesn't mean you won't find one or that it's a guarantee if you go to somewhere like DC.
D.C. is not in the cards for me, haha. Austin is probably second.

I don't know how much "work" I'm down for, or what "work" in this case entails. I'm in Arizona (where the male:female is pretty close to 50:50) and I wouldn't say it was easy at all to meet people my age or younger. I think that's the culture here a bit and that's part of the reason I'm leaving, but as a career professional like most, having the time and energy to be out all the time in order to meet people is a bit of a drag as it usually turns out fruitless. Again, that could be just my Arizona experience here where people aren't the least bit outgoing.

Don't get me wrong, I'm hardly a shut-in and I like to get out, but I'll ration free my time to the activities I enjoy doing, which these days isn't hanging out in bars five nights a week. Fine if I can actually meet people through those activities and/or online, but I don't feel like meeting women should have to be some epic quest. If Denver is tracking down the rare, illusive female, then battling for her affection with ten other suitors, then forget it. Only a certain type of girl in into me to begin with. I'll save my ego the beating.

Quote:
Originally Posted by himain View Post
I'm not single but if I was-I wouldn't be looking around in Denver. I have yet to see a man that completely makes me turn my head and I've been here 3 years...
That's really weird. I've visited many times as my brother has lived there since '09, and there seemed to me a lot of good looking people in general milling about pretty much everywhere I'd go. He's in the LoHi area and it's a great mix of people, which is pretty similar to a lot of the other neighborhoods I've visited there.

Last edited by Mr_Polymath; 06-02-2016 at 05:26 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2016, 05:24 PM

214 posts, read 260,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Polymath View Post
So, what is the situation there then? Now I'm confused. Perhaps something less anecdotal.
Here's a nice article that pretty much sums in up:

Where There Are More Single Men Than Women - CityLab

Old 06-02-2016, 05:51 PM

511 posts, read 402,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty-Mill View Post

That really doesn't tell you much, partially because the groupings are in really big chunks. Say you're looking to meet women in their early to late thirties, that 34/35 break point looks super dramatic (Logan's Run at 35?), when it's most likely an incremental progression.

Those numbers aren't that dramatic either in most major metros. They look big as they are in the thousands or tens of thousands, but divided into the x millions of a metro area, it's hardly Hell Comes To Frogtown or rural China. They should just illustrate it as 1.034:1 or whatever. Anyway, this proves any of this 5:1 stuff is nonsense. I have to wonder if immigrants (mostly male), inmates (mostly male), and homosexuals (weighted on the male side) are being counted here as well.

Last edited by Mr_Polymath; 06-02-2016 at 06:12 PM..

Old 06-02-2016, 07:11 PM

5,610 posts, read 23,314,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Polymath View Post

D.C. is not in the cards for me, haha. Austin is probably second.

I don't know how much "work" I'm down for, or what "work" in this case entails. I'm in Arizona (where the male:female is pretty close to 50:50) and I wouldn't say it was easy at all to meet people my age or younger. I think that's the culture here a bit and that's part of the reason I'm leaving, but as a career professional like most, having the time and energy to be out all the time in order to meet people is a bit of a drag as it usually turns out fruitless. Again, that could be just my Arizona experience here where people aren't the least bit outgoing.

Don't get me wrong, I'm hardly a shut-in and I like to get out, but I'll ration free my time to the activities I enjoy doing, which these days isn't hanging out in bars five nights a week. Fine if I can actually meet people through those activities and/or online, but I don't feel like meeting women should have to be some epic quest. If Denver is tracking down the rare, illusive female, then battling for her affection with ten other suitors, then forget it. Only a certain type of girl in into me to begin with. I'll save my ego the beating.

That's really weird. I've visited many times as my brother has lived there since '09, and there seemed to me a lot of good looking people in general milling about pretty much everywhere I'd go. He's in the LoHi area and it's a great mix of people, which is pretty similar to a lot of the other neighborhoods I've visited there.
There are some cultural similarities as well as some differences between DEN & PHX. I lived in Tempe in 2004-2008 for college (ASU) and moved back to Denver in 2010 where I've been since. Granted, that was a different time in my life, college vs being a working adult, but I've continued to visit Phoenix/Scottsdale every year since. I was just there a few weeks ago. I've said this for years (you can check my posting history going back to 2007) and still affirm it-- I think overall, people in Phoenix are a notch friendlier than people in Denver. Within Denver, recent transplants are the friendliest and most open to new relationships and friendships and natives and long term residents are the least friendly-- often downright cold. I also agree with you that the male-female ratio seems more balanced in Phoenix than it is in Denver. Unfortunately-- and maybe this is a generational thing with the younger generation-- it seems that social life revolves around drinking alcohol-- that's true in both Denver and Phoenix. Between the two, I think Phoenix's (well, Scottsdale actually) bar scene is nicer than Denver's. I really enjoy the open air outdoor bars down there with spray misters that line Scottsdale Rd & the Old Town area. It feels like you're at a Mexican beach resort down there.

Personally, I would suggest just living wherever you want to live, leaving females out of the equation for the moment. What makes you happy? Where do you feel the most at home culturally? Which geography, climate, outdoor activities, regional things to do suits you best? What do you like to do for fun? Where do you have the best job opportunities for your career path? Any obligations to others? For many, the dominating factor may be where do you have existing family and/or friends. Whatever factors matter most -- if that's Denver, let it be Denver, if it's somewhere else, go somewhere else. But trying to pick your city based on quantifying whether the dating scene is better in place A vs place B may be futile since dating, from a man's point of view, is really a "your mileage may vary" thing. There are some factors that you can work on and control, and other factors that you have no control over at all. Personally, I think our whole modern western 21st century culture is messed up from an interpersonal relations standpoint and is getting even worse as time goes on-- and dating is just one aspect of that. But it's not specific to Denver vs any other city; ratios may be slightly different from place to place among major US cities, but the overall story is the same.

Old 06-03-2016, 09:52 AM

1,111 posts, read 2,333,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vegaspilgrim View Post

Personally, I would suggest just living wherever you want to live, leaving females out of the equation for the moment. What makes you happy? Where do you feel the most at home culturally? Which geography, climate, outdoor activities, regional things to do suits you best? What do you like to do for fun? Where do you have the best job opportunities for your career path? Any obligations to others? For many, the dominating factor may be where do you have existing family and/or friends. Whatever factors matter most -- if that's Denver, let it be Denver, if it's somewhere else, go somewhere else. But trying to pick your city based on quantifying whether the dating scene is better in place A vs place B may be futile since dating, from a man's point of view, is really a "your mileage may vary" thing. There are some factors that you can work on and control, and other factors that you have no control over at all. Personally, I think our whole modern western 21st century culture is messed up from an interpersonal relations standpoint and is getting even worse as time goes on-- and dating is just one aspect of that. But it's not specific to Denver vs any other city; ratios may be slightly different from place to place among major US cities, but the overall story is the same.
I agree with you as far as not following supposed favorable male:female ratios. I am a straight female and I have dated in Seattle (supposedly more males) and DC (supposedly more females). I had more white collar guys approach me in DC than I ever have in Seattle even despite the sex ratios. The culture of DC seems more open. Maybe the fact that it attracts a ton of outgoing, alpha females in government jobs helps bring the culture to life. Lots of guys in Seattle but they were mostly passive or undesirable.

Old 06-03-2016, 04:51 PM

2,071 posts, read 2,211,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty-Mill View Post

As I have stated previously on this forum, anything based upon the American Community survey is useless. It is an essentially voluntary survey, as there is no enforcement provision, and it is done on at most 2% of the population, more realistically 1%. All the maps and articles that reference it are essentially click bait.

Old 06-03-2016, 05:01 PM

214 posts, read 260,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert5 View Post
As I have stated previously on this forum, anything based upon the American Community survey is useless. It is an essentially voluntary survey, as there is no enforcement provision, and it is done on at most 2% of the population, more realistically 1%. All the maps and articles that reference it are essentially click bait.
Oh

Old 06-03-2016, 05:10 PM

462 posts, read 1,173,824 times
The aspen colony near Kebler Pass in the West Elks is supposed to be one of the largest organisms in the world:

Aspen Grove Is Largest Living Organism in the U.S.

Worth seeing in the fall for sure.

Old 06-03-2016, 05:13 PM

462 posts, read 1,173,824 times
^ Replied to wrong thread. Hey Mike wanna wipe this^?

Old 06-03-2016, 06:22 PM

38 posts, read 35,940 times
I'm 31.

I love CO but dislike Denver. Strongly.

I'm one of those guys.

Even still, if my future daughter or son was single I'd recommend Denver over pretty much every other place.

It's not my style but Denver seems to attract that rare breed of single woman/man who is not a sociopath, not mentally ill but still single in their 30's, looking for a partner.

Sorry to be rude but in real life that's a pretty rare combination. In NYC everyone is single but also sociopathic. Broken ppl for the most part. In LA the same. In San Fran it's mostly family money kids pretending to work for a fake job that sounds hip on linkedin but in reality they live on trust funds.

Denver, I don't know what it is...but it seems to attract ppl in their 30's who have it together but just haven't met that special person.

I consider Denver the best dating city in the US for late-20's early 30's ppl.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver