Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2016, 08:09 AM

3,961 posts, read 4,390,777 times

Advertisements

Typically, reports are reviewed, scrubbed, and presented to various agencies for approval before being published. This is why it is difficult to find crime stats newer than a year or two. The raw data the news agencies like to report typically has not been through this review and is still raw. It creates sensational television reporting.

The nature of gang violence is a war over area and people. While a very violent existence, it does tend to stay within smaller circles of people associated with the gangs in relations or area. It is not too terribly difficult to learn avoidance of these areas to mitigate some of your risk of exposure.

Other violent crimes of robbery, assault, and rape do occur, but it would be interesting to see the whole report to see where those are concentrated and what their rates are comparative to earlier years. Property crimes may be similar to these. Denver also has large amounts of vehicle thefts, which I suspect may be related to the large number of transplanted residents who are adapting to the new environment. For example, Californians who move here, are unprepared for the cold, and leave their car running in the morning to warm it up before leaving for work. That is a golden opportunity for theft.

So you originally asked what can be done. I think you let the police concentrate on their jobs. Maybe become proactive about questioning them about their gang task force, and research sources for data other than media reporting. While media isn't necessarily reporting it falsely, I'm more than willing to bet they are cherry picking stats and not using overlying data to make it more meaningful than some gross numbers. You also can review this data and chose to live in an area that has a much lower reported level of crime, which is seems you are intending on doing. Other simple things like being aware of surroundings, locking doors, and removing opportunities to expose yourself to these criminals go a long way to making you safe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2016, 08:18 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,703,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveBoating View Post
Yes, your news station KUSA 9 had the report of high crime/high homicides for 2015. I have their App on my iPhone6. Your Chief of Police also made the comment about local gangs, dealing with the same report.

I just didn't make this Thread up, it was on your Channel 9 news!

We have the same "high crime/homicide" thing here, but had numerous murders in one month (January) and it really concerns the people that live in those communities, as well as the Mayor and Chief of Police here.

From what I'm seeing, nobody on this forum even heard about or seen the report.

And, DPD did have some Super Bowl post-game problems in Denver. Not a lot, but there was some problems. Again, this was reported on your Channel 9 News!

Does anyone there watch local news. All of their news isn't exaggerated!
I find it interesting how different local news stations focus on different aspects of life here.

i know that the stations do make conscious decisions regarding what to concentrate on and, as has been noted, there is a certain segment of the population that appreciates a focus on doom and gloom.

That's not to say that the other stations don't report criminal activity, but how they report it - the tone, emphasis, etc. - is different.
It is possible to report the news without the hyperbole that may suggest that the city is awash in evil-doing.

And no, I don't think that it's being done to downplay the level of crime, I think it's just kept in perspective.

The other day, I heard a report (on KDVR) that noted that brighter lights will be installed along the 16th St. Mall to increase safety and visibility at night. It was reported matter-of-factly with details about cost, timing, etc. I imagine that another station might have led with a list of high crimes and misdemeanors that have occurred on the mall but this one didn't. They simply reported the story about the lights and moved on.

I do recall, after the Super Bowl, that there was a report of someone burning a couch and a couple of other stupid things like that. There was no rampaging through the streets, no looting...
I also remember that an estimated one million people turned out for the Broncos rally, had a great time and lived to tell about it.
The worst thing that happened was the time it took to get to the rally and back home.

OP, I appreciate the concerns given your plan to move here, but I wonder at the point of starting the thread if the intent was not to get perspective from locals.
The posters who responded are not selling you a bill of goods.
Denver is not a war-zone.
It is safe to venture out at night if one chooses to do so.
If the point was not to get this sort of feedback, what then was the purpose of the thread?

I assure you that those of us who live here are aware that crime happens.
Weather and traffic, however, have much greater impact on our everyday lives.

Old 02-27-2016, 08:20 AM

8,952 posts, read 20,372,776 times
All sounds good and right to me!
Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCHP View Post
Typically, reports are reviewed, scrubbed, and presented to various agencies for approval before being published. This is why it is difficult to find crime stats newer than a year or two. The raw data the news agencies like to report typically has not been through this review and is still raw. It creates sensational television reporting.

The nature of gang violence is a war over area and people. While a very violent existence, it does tend to stay within smaller circles of people associated with the gangs in relations or area. It is not too terribly difficult to learn avoidance of these areas to mitigate some of your risk of exposure.

Other violent crimes of robbery, assault, and rape do occur, but it would be interesting to see the whole report to see where those are concentrated and what their rates are comparative to earlier years. Property crimes may be similar to these. Denver also has large amounts of vehicle thefts, which I suspect may be related to the large number of transplanted residents who are adapting to the new environment. For example, Californians who move here, are unprepared for the cold, and leave their car running in the morning to warm it up before leaving for work. That is a golden opportunity for theft.

So you originally asked what can be done. I think you let the police concentrate on their jobs. Maybe become proactive about questioning them about their gang task force, and research sources for data other than media reporting. While media isn't necessarily reporting it falsely, I'm more than willing to bet they are cherry picking stats and not using overlying data to make it more meaningful than some gross numbers. You also can review this data and chose to live in an area that has a much lower reported level of crime, which is seems you are intending on doing. Other simple things like being aware of surroundings, locking doors, and removing opportunities to expose yourself to these criminals go a long way to making you safe.

Old 02-29-2016, 01:16 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,369,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
And, remember the motto for news channels: If it bleeds, it leads.

I have friends who moved to Puerto Vallarta 10 years ago.
All day long their TV was tuned to CNN. 8+ hours per day.
When we visited them, they commented how much safer México was than the USA.
P.S. They did not watch Mexican TV at all as their Spanish was quite limited.

My wife and I are 58/67 and we walk everywhere.
Day and night.
We feel quite safe. Even in our Latino gang infested neighborhood.

P.S.
Denver crime index = 383 for 2013 according to City-Data
Jacksonville = 392

Murders in Denver in 2013 = 40
Jacksonville = 93

Auto theft is where Denver is much higher at 3x the per capita rate.
I have no idea why.
This is becoming a real problem in the southern 'burbs. Yet another (locked) SUV was stolen from somebody's driveway this past weekend. I cannot imagine why anybody in our neighborhood would leave a car outside. Some of us have three-car garages! What on earth could be stored in there that's more valuable than a $50k+ sedan or SUV?

Old 02-29-2016, 01:44 PM

10,137 posts, read 17,481,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
This is becoming a real problem in the southern 'burbs. Yet another (locked) SUV was stolen from somebody's driveway this past weekend. I cannot imagine why anybody in our neighborhood would leave a car outside. Some of us have three-car garages! What on earth could be stored in there that's more valuable than a $50k+ sedan or SUV?
I always garaged my cars when I owned a house in Douglas county. I may be looking at renting a 1-2bdr apt in Belmar or older house and with parking problems an issue it's a worth noting.

Old 02-29-2016, 01:55 PM

26,214 posts, read 49,044,521 times
Car theft is big in COLO SPGS too. My pal in Albuquerque says that auto theft is a guilded craft there among high school kids.

We have 3-car garages in our 'hood too, and we've seen an expensive pickup truck full of tools stolen overnight from a driveway and another expensive pickup truck stolen from an open garage in broad daylight. We've had a wallet stolen from a car parked overnight in the driveway (why was the wallet left in plain sight in the car!). It seems that thieves regularly canvass neighborhoods in the wee hours to find and take the easy pickings.

All I can say is keep vehicles in a garage and keep the garage closed and locked.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 02-29-2016, 05:20 PM

I am going to be really good HD cameras at Costco when I move to my next place it's seems to be one of the few ways you can stop this.........or atleast track them down after the crime because whether it's CA or CO doesn't seem to be enough cops to go around for all of the crime going on.

Old 02-29-2016, 05:46 PM

13,827 posts, read 29,939,634 times
Dang! I'm going to check to see if my Oreos are still in the car.....it's parked in the street!

Old 02-29-2016, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Aguilar View Post
Dang! I'm going to check to see if my Oreos are still in the car.....it's parked in the street!
I realize it's a relatively safe metro that's why I am planning on moving back just want to be aware of the situation.......awareness is a good thing

Old 02-29-2016, 06:46 PM

1,225 posts, read 3,229,492 times
I just moved back to Denver after living in Chicago for 2 years. In comparison, crime in Denver is extremely minimal. I never really felt safe in Chicago (even in the good areas). Sure, Denver's a large city and it's wise to use common sense, but I don't feel like danger is awaiting me around every corner like I felt in Chicago. Denver's relative safety is quite refreshing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver