Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2016, 08:26 PM

17,712 posts, read 29,844,231 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammy87 View Post
If you were to say that about any other demographic its considered racists.
Three grammatical errors in on sentence. Amazing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2016, 09:44 PM

11,474 posts, read 11,569,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sammy87 View Post
Considering that is is "my" lawn they have no business on it.
Damn straight! Don't ever let them tell you otherwise.

Old 06-09-2016, 07:36 AM

1,710 posts, read 1,464,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
Three grammatical errors in on sentence. Amazing.
Watch out! We have a bad a$$ policing grammar.

Old 06-09-2016, 07:47 AM

1,778 posts, read 2,888,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pikabike View Post
Or Shepler's.
Are they still around? Bought my first Stetson there in '72 when I was in high school. Yeah, I'm old.

Old 06-09-2016, 01:11 PM

96 posts, read 112,952 times
I think more about the performance characteristics of clothing than the appearance. For example, I want the most comfortable, light weight outfit that will meet my needs as per the weather of the day. One of my most valued garments is a polyester half zip pullover from Target. That thing keeps me from getting cold, but it doesn't make me hot. I couldn't care less about fashion. If I am interested in something that someone else is wearing, it's only because it appears to have functionality that I can benefit from. I agree with a lot of the comments about the West. The West is the best!

Old 06-09-2016, 02:53 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,823,758 times
How did I miss this thread till now? This used to be one of my favorite topics.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegaspilgrim View Post
Dressing casual is a hallmark of pretty much the entire western US region, with the exception of a few enclaves in parts of Phoenix and parts of southern California. Pretty much everywhere in Denver is casual-- city and suburbs in all directions.

I don't notice people with tattoos any more here than in any other areas I have lived or visited. Same with colored hair. Actually, I think there are fewer people with tattoos here compared to the sunbelt regions.
I haven't lived anywhere else for so long, I wouldn't know. Can't say as I've noticed more or fewer tatoos here than in the places I frequently visit-Omaha, Minneapolis, Pittsburgh. When I worked in pediatrics, a lot of the young moms and dads had tats, so they don't even faze me any more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzatlarge View Post
^^^This has been my experience here (35+ years). When I'm packing to visit people in the Eastern US, I tend to toss some nicer shoes and accessories into the suitcase, so I can dress up a bit more than I usually do here.

I still recall a newspaper article in the 90's, about the first few years of operation of the then recently-rebuilt Cherry Creek Mall, which had some high end stores which were fairly new to this region. One of the store managers (I think it was a high end mens clothing store) said that he and his staff had to learn how Denver's monied and successful folks behave. He said those guys are likely to walk into the store wearing well-worn jeans and much-laundered Polo shirts. Apparently he was from somewhere else, and was used to people who weren't so laid back.
We came here in 1980 from Champaign, IL. Prior to that, I grew up in Pittsburgh. Yes, definitely more cas here than in Champaign, honestly about the same as in Pittsburgh, at least socially. I don't know how people there dress at work, and I always wore uniforms/scrubs at my own work in nursing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreaming of Hawaii View Post
Metairie, I grew up on the East Coast and my grandmother never left the house without her white gloves and hat. My mother always dressed up to go shopping. And gentlemen always removed their hats when entering a building. When I moved to Denver in the 1970s, I couldn't believe that (1) men didn't remove their hats to go inside, and (2) people didn't dress up, even to go to the symphony. In fact, there were people in jeans and shorts! Took me a while to get used to the casual way of dressing in Denver.

Cherry Creek Mall used to be the place to go to see people dressed up, but now even that is casual.
Gosh yes! Growing up in suburban Pittsburgh, my mom always wore a dress to go downtown to shop, back in the 50s/60s. Things changed there, too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
Funerals
Weddings
Inside Andrisen Morton - Fine Men's Apparel in Denver, Colorado

P.S. You do realize that wearing a clothing item from https://www.thenorthface.com is dressing up?
I used to work for hospice; sadly been to a lot of funerals here. Dress was everywhere, from very dressy to very casual. Ditto weddings I've attended here. There's almost always someone in jeans.

Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
Where is around here? My neighborhood is all Prana & North Face & Marmot & Lululemon.
In my area (eastern Boulder County) it's more Fila, Addidas, Nike, Trek, Champion stuff like that. All yoga pants and the like, mostly athletic shoes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
I'm thinking he must work in finance. My husband, an IT consultant, has a lightweight rain jacket for drizzly days, and an insulated jacket for deep winter. Otherwise, it's a fleece pullover. For his feet, he has two pairs of work shoes (one dressy, one casual), one pair of running shoes, and a pair of hiking boots. His daily work uniform is a button-down long-sleeved shirt and a pair of khakis or trousers. I know he has a couple of ties hidden around here somewhere, but I haven't seen him wear one since the last time we attended a wedding. On weekends in the winter, he wears jeans and in the summer, hiking shorts. I know he has a briefcase from years ago, but he doesn't use, preferring instead to carry a computer backpack. This would be a fashion faux pas in other parts of the county, I'm sure, but it's typical for his industry.
My husband is from Omaha, NE and I've always said he dresses "Early Omaha". He works in IT and in Boulder wears jeans, casual shirts and deck shoes. When he worked in Golden, it was dress pants and dressier shirts, e.g. button downs from Kohl's, "regular" shoes. The doctors I worked with in Louisville also dressed like that. DH bought a tie for our daughter's wedding, but then she wanted all the guys in tuxes, so I don't think he's ever worn it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick4242 View Post
Ironically Boulder is closer to the mountains but I find people have a bit more fashion sense than people in Denver. There are a lot of transplants from the coasts, whereas Denver is mostly midwestern transplants.

Denver really is a blu-collar town for the most part.
Seriously? See above regarding my husband's work attire. Much more cas in Boulder.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kar54 View Post
Are they still around? Bought my first Stetson there in '72 when I was in high school. Yeah, I'm old.
Hey, I was out of HS by then!

Old 06-09-2016, 03:48 PM

2,887 posts, read 7,138,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nick4242 View Post
Ironically Boulder is closer to the mountains but I find people have a bit more fashion sense than people in Denver. There are a lot of transplants from the coasts, whereas Denver is mostly midwestern transplants.

Denver really is a blu-collar town for the most part.
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioToCO View Post
I live in Boulder and work in Denver. There is no difference in how people dress.
In fact, let me revise one of my previous posts. "Everybody in Denver is carrying a backpack. Especially, if they are on a bus from Boulder".
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
. . .In my area (eastern Boulder County) it's more Fila, Addidas, Nike, Trek, Champion stuff like that. All yoga pants and the like, mostly athletic shoes. . .
In Boulder, spandex is formal wear.

In reality, Denver, Boulder, and all of Colorado is a hotbed of development in the cross-breeding of athletic wear with business wear.

Old 06-09-2016, 05:00 PM

415 posts, read 607,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Polymath View Post
Yeah, I was a bit confused at first, but after getting a bit further into the discussion I'm thinking the O.P. perhaps should have just worded it as:

"Where can I hang around in the Denver area that is overwhelmingly WASP-y people?"

To that I say, try The Hamptons... not that there's Denver ones. The New York ones. Most places in America aren't overwhelmingly WASP-y anymore. Thank the cosmos, IMO.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreaming of Hawaii View Post
HUH? What does being a WASP have to do with dressing up? In my post, I was talking about my Jewish mother and grandmother! It's an East Coast thing, not a WASP thing
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Polymath View Post
That might be what the O.P. is getting at. I think it's a bit more specific than just the race part, though. I dunno, I'm just speculating here. I can't quite tell if she wants to be around bleeding-edge high couture fashion (which actually gets a bit funky fashion-wise), or laxbro trust fundies.

You're not the O.P.
As the OP, I have no clue what waspy is? Is it racial? FYI most people in my area that I'm referring to are white if that matters to people?! Or does it mean something else?

Old 06-09-2016, 05:08 PM

11,474 posts, read 11,569,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metairie View Post
As the OP, I have no clue what waspy is? Is it racial? FYI most people in my area that I'm referring to are white if that matters to people?! Or does it mean something else?
Urban Dictionary: wasp

See the 2nd definition. Think country club members.

Old 06-09-2016, 06:22 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,381,268 times
White, Anglo-Saxon, Protestant = WASP.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver