Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2019, 03:35 PM

8,712 posts, read 6,762,273 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanbark813 View Post
That report doesn't say what qualifies as a liquor store. If that means "any store that sells liquor" then it would include grocery stores for CA but not for CO.
So knock off about 3000 stores. I do believe the report refers to standalone liquor stores, but I can't find any support.

Anyone who can say there aren't liquor stores on at least the density scale here simply hasn't driven around California suburbia in the last few decades. Anyone who thinks liquor stores are notably dense here must have come from Utah. Seriously. This is a high-control state and has never been anything else; while we have concentrated population centers that might be denser that some equivalent communities in more spread-out states, I think both of the above arguments are pretty far off-base. My recollections and - so far - all numbers that can be dredged up support that. There's some kind of weird subjectivity here. Maybe it's the thin air.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2019, 03:38 PM

73 posts, read 58,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quietude View Post
Anyone who can say there aren't liquor stores on at least the density scale here simply hasn't driven around California suburbia in the last few decades. Anyone who thinks liquor stores are notably dense here must have come from Utah.
We've already shown that these 2 statements are false.

Old 01-10-2019, 03:53 PM

12,566 posts, read 10,617,630 times
Quote:
So knock off about 3000 stores. I do believe the report refers to standalone liquor stores, but I can't find any support.

Anyone who can say there aren't liquor stores on at least the density scale here simply hasn't driven around California suburbia in the last few decades. Anyone who thinks liquor stores are notably dense here must have come from Utah. Seriously. This is a high-control state and has never been anything else; while we have concentrated population centers that might be denser that some equivalent communities in more spread-out states, I think both of the above arguments are pretty far off-base. My recollections and - so far - all numbers that can be dredged up support that. There's some kind of weird subjectivity here. Maybe it's the thin air.
They are very dense here. I grew up in a comparable area in San Diego to where I live now. I can probably locate 6 liquor stores within a 3 mile radius of my current home. When I was growing up in San Diego there was probably 1 liquor store. It was like that all through Southern California and still is.

Old 01-10-2019, 04:16 PM

19,804 posts, read 9,362,001 times
Quote:
So, have any liquor stores gone out of business yet because you can buy 5% beer in grocery stores?
I can only speak for one store, and that is the Safeway on South Kipling near 470. The selection of beer there was meager, to say the least. IF that is any indication, the liquor stores have nothing to worry about. Of course, that can change, but I think we will just have to wait and see.

Old 01-10-2019, 04:49 PM

18,217 posts, read 25,857,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post
I can only speak for one store, and that is the Safeway on South Kipling near 470. The selection of beer there was meager, to say the least. IF that is any indication, the liquor stores have nothing to worry about. Of course, that can change, but I think we will just have to wait and see.

In Mesa County, there has been a couple that folded their tent in the last couple years. I can't the remember the name of one of them that was in Orchard Mesa, it was located just south of the 5th St. bridge as you drop into Orchard Mesa on U.S. Hwy. 50 on the west side of the road. The other was Cottonwood Liquors which was in a strip mall maybe a quarter mile east of Mesa Mall on the I-70 bypass road.

Old 01-10-2019, 07:36 PM

17,711 posts, read 29,823,179 times
You are not going to a significant drop in prices.
Colorado has a 3 tier distribution system.

Old 01-11-2019, 08:33 AM

780 posts, read 425,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
You are not going to a significant drop in prices.
Colorado has a 3 tier distribution system.
For anyone who is interested: https://www.cobeer.com/three-tier-system

Old 01-11-2019, 09:17 AM

1,190 posts, read 1,196,067 times
I'm seeing craft beer in Safeway/KS on sale now that is about the same price for a 6-pack ($7.99-8.99) so not much of an improvement yet (!).

Old 01-11-2019, 09:41 AM

12,566 posts, read 10,617,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LHS79 View Post
I'm seeing craft beer in Safeway/KS on sale now that is about the same price for a 6-pack ($7.99-8.99) so not much of an improvement yet (!).
I think right now it is more of a convenience of not having to go to two places when shopping.

Old 01-11-2019, 12:27 PM

177 posts, read 176,145 times
i wonder what will take their place? hopefully something nice
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver