Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2008, 06:18 PM

35 posts, read 144,277 times

Advertisements

It looks like I'm getting a job in Denver. I read a feed that north Denver is considered dangerous and filled with gangs, but I'm not sure if the area I've chosen to live in is considered safe or unsafe or if its considered north or south Denver. I'm looking at an apartment at a place called Orchard Crossing. anybody familiar with this place? If you are could you tell me all about it(safe or not, good/bad experiences). It is located off of Tower rd between E. 48th st. and E. 40th street and is by Green Vally Golf Club. Is this area of Denver considered safe? Does anybody have any other apartments/condos that they would recommend living(for a family with a 2 1/2 year old boy)? The highest price I want to rent at is $1000-1100 a month for a 2 bedroom unit(preferably one with a pool/exercise room/ect..). The apartments/condos you suggest have to be located near(20miles/mins or less) the Denver International Airport. Thanks in advance. also are there any "safe" rec centers near by?

Last edited by alicia&adam; 07-01-2008 at 06:25 PM.. Reason: forgot to add how big of an apartment
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2008, 08:31 PM

13,827 posts, read 29,944,218 times
Congrats on getting a job here!

North Denver is considered "dangerous", but North Denver, I think would mean the neighborhoods directly north of downtown, such as Five Points, Elyria-Swansea, Globeville and unincorporated Adams County.

Your prospective apartment would be in Green Valley Ranch, which, if called anything other than its name, would be considered NE Denver.

Green Valley Ranch gets mixed reviews. Some people will call it dangerous because of its cultural ties to Montbello. GVR is a similarly diverse area, but more well-to-do. The high school zoning currently is such that a child would be zoned to Montbello High School, which I think affects property values and GVR's reputation. GVR is eventually going to get its own HS, which I know you won't need for about 12-13 years anyway.

I personally don't see anything to deter anybody from living in GVR. I personally wouldn't live there because instead of being an actual neighborhood, it is more like fragmented clustered grids of new homes (I really dislike new homes, and the way they are planned). It's simply an area where underpaid hardworking folks can afford to purchase a home.

The location of your prospective place couldn't be beat if you are going to work at DIA. I have to go to the airport frequently for work, so I know many people that work there and many of them live in GVR and like it just fine.

As for other apartments, I used to live at the "Reflections at Cherry Creek" in Aurora, more or less at the intersection of Parker/Quincy. Had no problems there, and they were quite nice. Our rent was $969/mo for a 3/2, which we leased last year; we have since moved into a house. The commute to DIA would be about 25-30 minutes, a longer commute, so I'd definitely consider the apartments you found in GVR.

You have to remember, you are from Detroit. The crime/gangs here are a cakewalk/pushover compared to anything you would find back home. It shouldn't be something you'd have to give much of a thought here in Denver, because we don't have anything close to the problems Detroit has. Metro Denver is quite tame. Hope I've been a help and I'd be happy to answer any further questions you may have.

Last edited by Count David; 07-01-2008 at 09:34 PM.. Reason: word change

Old 07-01-2008, 11:24 PM

1,176 posts, read 4,483,483 times
Jesus that much for a place in GVR? I rode through there this evening with another person and we were both amazed at the number of homes that have been abandoned.

Denver has very little gang activity, and in general I have zero reservations about any area of Denver, but I would stay as far away from GVR as is possible.

Old 07-02-2008, 09:11 AM

14,164 posts, read 27,231,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steveindenver View Post
Jesus that much for a place in GVR? I rode through there this evening with another person and we were both amazed at the number of homes that have been abandoned.

Denver has very little gang activity, and in general I have zero reservations about any area of Denver, but I would stay as far away from GVR as is possible.

I drove through GVR the other day on my way back from the airport and OMG, what a dump! I got off Pena at GVR Blvd. and turned into the first housing development I came to. The houses looked like they couldn't be more than 5 years old, and some were well-kept with nice lawns. But on every street, about a third of the lawns were completely dead, like the people living there had never turned on a sprinkler or done any landscape maintenance. I saw houses where you could see gang grafiti had been erased, I saw boarded up windows, curtains flapping out screen-less windows, junker cars, and every street had foreclosed homes for sale. This was the middle of a work day and I also saw many people (adults) just sitting round in front of their homes, probably outside because they couldn't afford A/C (it was hot outside). What did these builders do? Go find people they knew couldn't afford a house, get them zero down ARMs, and build the newest ghetto in the country?

Old 07-02-2008, 09:40 AM

2,756 posts, read 12,977,971 times
I wouldn't recommend GVR for BUYING property, for sure, as prices there are dropping like a brick.

But statistically, it's not really dangerous in terms of crime rate at the present time, though there's an almost universally shared sense that it's headed downward. Its real problem that it's very close to Montbello and North Aurora, both of which have significant crime problems, and that may spill over some.

Anyway, for renting there, I'd do it for a short-term rental if you could get a great deal. Look in Craigslist -- I think you could find yourself a single-family-home there for rent for cheaper than that apartment complex you're looking at.

Old 07-02-2008, 10:37 PM

5,610 posts, read 23,312,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alicia&adam View Post
It looks like I'm getting a job in Denver. I read a feed that north Denver is considered dangerous and filled with gangs, but I'm not sure if the area I've chosen to live in is considered safe or unsafe or if its considered north or south Denver. I'm looking at an apartment at a place called Orchard Crossing. anybody familiar with this place? If you are could you tell me all about it(safe or not, good/bad experiences). It is located off of Tower rd between E. 48th st. and E. 40th street and is by Green Vally Golf Club. Is this area of Denver considered safe? Does anybody have any other apartments/condos that they would recommend living(for a family with a 2 1/2 year old boy)? The highest price I want to rent at is $1000-1100 a month for a 2 bedroom unit(preferably one with a pool/exercise room/ect..). The apartments/condos you suggest have to be located near(20miles/mins or less) the Denver International Airport. Thanks in advance. also are there any "safe" rec centers near by?
If you weren't working at the airport, I wouldn't suggest living there (for the reasons already mentioned), however, given that's where you work GVR could indeed be a good choice, since it's one of the closest developments to the airport. Commerce City's "Reunion" could also be a good choice. Anywhere else would be a LONG drive to the airport. You could live in Brighton, but I don't personally consider Brighton to be very desirable either. The thing is, Denver is kind of shaped like a Pac-Man-- it's a more or less round blob with a giant wedge taken out in the northeast corner. Between oil refineries and smokestacks in Commerce City and northeast of Denver downtown, RMNWF (aka Rocky Mountain Arsenal), the old airport, the new airport, former air force bases, there has been a lot of change in that whole northeast sliver of town. It's still the least developed section of town with a lot of "holes," and is only now gradually filling in. If you were willing to live a little farther away I would recommend Stapleton-- it would be a lot better than GVR in my opinion but a much longer commute.

Old 07-03-2008, 08:44 AM

20 posts, read 61,776 times
Don't know if you have read any of my other replies in forums, the one under "Green Valley Ranch??????" explains a lot about the pluses and minuses. The North side of GVR is actually pretty nice, the South part (south of 48th) does have some questionable areas, but there ARE many foreclosures on both sides, but there are many all over Denver period. We could not afford many of the homes in other parts of Denver but could afford one in GVR and it is working out for us, I love new houses because it is like a clean palette and I got to decorate my house the way I wanted it. There are a lot of people in GVR who really take care of their homes and are good, educated people. But there are a few bad apples. But we have experienced no crime whatsoever. Crime pops up in Denver in such unexpected areas, just last week they did an enormous drug bust in Highlands Ranch which is supposed to be nice and family-oriented, and there was also a robbery in Castle Rock. Westminster is also nice and we have lived there with no problems. Like I said, the North side and the South side of GVR have their differences and you have to check it out for yourself. It is a buyer's market for sure. The schools are not super in the area, but in Denver it is hit and miss with schools and you have to do your research. Denver schools really need help all over but from what I have observed I think parents need to play a bigger part in their children's lives as it is not just the teacher's job to babysit. I think the Academy at Highpoint near GVR might be good, I have heard good things about them from parents. Also they are building a HS soon in GVR, it's supposed to be pretty nice. I hope this helps!!! Good luck

Old 07-03-2008, 09:56 PM

1,176 posts, read 4,483,483 times
Quote:
but there ARE many foreclosures on both sides, but there are many all over Denver periodp

Not to the tune of 3 per block. GVR is nicer than Montbello. Since I can't say anything else nice about it, I shall leave it at that.

Old 07-04-2008, 11:00 PM

Thumbs up Good points

Quote:
Originally Posted by david aguilar View Post
congrats on getting a job here! thanks so much!

north denver is considered "dangerous", but north denver, i think would mean the neighborhoods directly north of downtown, such as five points, elyria-swansea, globeville and unincorporated adams county. the five points, sounds like gangs of new york. Lol

your prospective apartment would be in green valley ranch, which, if called anything other than its name, would be considered ne denver. north denver being the less desirable place to move.

green valley ranch gets mixed reviews. Some people will call it dangerous because of its cultural ties to montbello.that does not seem to comforting gvr is a similarly diverse area, but more well-to-do. The high school zoning currently is such that a child would be zoned to montbello high school, which i think affects property values and gvr's reputation. Gvr is eventually going to get its own hs, which i know you won't need for about 12-13 years anyway. this would only be temporary until we find "the" spot to live. I just want to be close to work so i don't have to drive far until we get used to our new state.

i personally don't see anything to deter anybody from living in gvr. I personally wouldn't live there because instead of being an actual neighborhood, it is more like fragmented clustered grids of new homes (i really dislike new homes, and the way they are planned).new homes are a plus for me, i've lived in old homes and the upkeep is ridiculous. it's simply an area where underpaid hardworking folks can afford to purchase a home.

The location of your prospective place couldn't be beat if you are going to work at dia. I have to go to the airport frequently for work, so i know many people that work there and many of them live in gvr and like it just fine. sounds good for the temporary location.

as for other apartments, i used to live at the "reflections at cherry creek" in aurora, more or less at the intersection of parker/quincy. Had no problems there, and they were quite nice. Our rent was $969/mo for a 3/2, which we leased last year; we have since moved into a house. The commute to dia would be about 25-30 minutes, a longer commute, so i'd definitely consider the apartments you found in gvr. yea, i don't think i want to drive that far(for now anyways)

you have to remember, you are from detroit. The crime/gangs here are a cakewalk/pushover compared to anything you would find back home. It shouldn't be something you'd have to give much of a thought here in denver, because we don't have anything close to the problems detroit has. Metro denver is quite tame.good point, i just want to be able to walk down the street without worrying someone snatching me and my son. hope i've been a help and i'd be happy to answer any further questions you may have.
thanks again for your help.

Old 07-04-2008, 11:04 PM

Unhappy I'm getting scared

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
i drove through gvr the other day on my way back from the airport and omg, what a dump! I got off pena at gvr blvd. And turned into the first housing development i came to. The houses looked like they couldn't be more than 5 years old, and some were well-kept with nice lawns. But on every street, about a third of the lawns were completely dead, like the people living there had never turned on a sprinkler or done any landscape maintenance. I saw houses where you could see gang grafiti had been erased, i saw boarded up windows, curtains flapping out screen-less windows, junker cars, and every street had foreclosed homes for sale. This was the middle of a work day and i also saw many people (adults) just sitting round in front of their homes, probably outside because they couldn't afford a/c (it was hot outside). What did these builders do? Go find people they knew couldn't afford a house, get them zero down arms, and build the newest ghetto in the country?
that sounds awful. This would be a temporary spot for us, but you are painting a terrible picture for me. I guess the only way i'm going to make my decision is to actually go there and see it for myself. Thanks for the heads up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver