Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-17-2015, 05:28 AM

4,647 posts, read 8,602,317 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastwestman View Post
Wow, i just spent the last 90 minutes reading this thread. Very impressed!!! I don't think it's hyperbole to suggest that Detroit is undergoing a mini-boom!! This raises the question: With all this new development, why is there still so much negativity about Detroit? It looks like it's got its act together. Cities like Cleveland, Camden and Buffalo should be taking note --- any city, no matter how bad things have gotten, can turn the corner. Is it too hasty to say, "Detroit -- YOU ARE BACK"?
Part of it that Detroit has fallen pretty far. Even with all this development, it's still only a couple blocks in any direction to find whole neighborhoods still vacant or full of burnt down buildings or vacant schools and factories.

And actually, a big complaint among many Detroiters who live in the city is that so much redevelopment has occurred in the downtown neighborhoods but the outer-neighborhoods of the city still seem neglected or slow to change.

Detroit has definitively turned the corner and is heading in a good direction, but it's still going to be a while before the city needs to be where it should be. But even if everything was going good for Detroit, I'm sure there will still things for people to complain about.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2015, 11:19 AM

171 posts, read 303,327 times
At least blight removal is still rolling on in many areas of the city.

There could be a lot of development on the outer areas but there isn't enough people to live there and maintain it. There are still tons and tons of evictions going on, squatting, vandalism and house fires are still normal. I think once things balance out with Downtown/Midtown, people will start to prefer to live in the outer areas because they'll get more bang for their buck.

Maybe then, the city will focus more funding and efforts to stabilize more neighborhoods.

Old 05-17-2015, 12:28 PM

3,671 posts, read 5,889,088 times
Quote:
Wow, i just spent the last 90 minutes reading this thread. Very impressed!!! I don't think it's hyperbole to suggest that Detroit is undergoing a mini-boom!! This raises the question: With all this new development, why is there still so much negativity about Detroit? It looks like it's got its act together. Cities like Cleveland, Camden and Buffalo should be taking note --- any city, no matter how bad things have gotten, can turn the corner. Is it too hasty to say, "Detroit -- YOU ARE BACK"?
Some people like to be negative, sad, sad, people. Probably have no life so they blame Detroit. Others just don't like Detroit for whatever reason and downplay everything positive while exaggerate everything negative, many trolls live in this catagory. And then you have the people who like to compare Detroit at it's lowest point to a city that is currently healthy. And then there's also the people who are just tired of the bull, especially after seeing their city decline so much, most negative people will say their in this category but many never even lived in the city and you can tell by what they say in their post.

Had this much development been in Flint or Grand Rapids, their entire city would be changed by now. But Detroit is much, much, bigger. The entire riverfront could be Manhattan and people on the westside wouldn't hardly see a difference. This is why Detroit needs to try to get better one neighborhood at a time.

Old 05-17-2015, 02:14 PM

464 posts, read 451,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MS313 View Post
Some people like to be negative, sad, sad, people.
Negative or realistic?
Quote:
Probably have no life so they blame Detroit.
Are you sure they got ''no lives''? If they are unemployed, it probably can be contributed to Detroit's downfall and loss of the auto industry.
Quote:
Others just don't like Detroit for whatever reason and downplay everything positive while exaggerate everything negative, many trolls live in this catagory.
Or, maybe some people exaggerate everything positive and downplay everything negative.
Quote:
And then you have the people who like to compare Detroit at it's lowest point to a city that is currently healthy.
Hopefully by city you mean Downtown area. A city that has lost two thirds of its residents and boasts a very high unemployment rate certainly isn't ''healthy''. Have you ever been outside the metro? Detroit is just beginning to recover from it's severe downfall.
Quote:
And then there's also the people who are just tired of the bull, especially after seeing their city decline so much
Exactly.
Quote:
most negative people will say their in this category but many never even lived in the city and you can tell by what they say in their post.
Proof? By what you say in your posts I could assume you've never lived to Detroit either. Knowing that's probably not true makes it worse.
Quote:
Had this much development been in Flint or Grand Rapids, their entire city would be changed by now. But Detroit is much, much, bigger.
The development never would have happened in Flint or Grand Rapids in the first place.
Quote:
The entire riverfront could be Manhattan and people on the westside wouldn't hardly see a difference. This is why Detroit needs to try to get better one neighborhood at a time.
I'm pretty sure the revitalization of Manhattan and Harlem in the 1990s really helped neighboring boroughs Bronx and Brooklyn out considerably. If the riverfront recovered in a similar boom much more of the city would be revitalized than what we are seeing today.

Old 05-17-2015, 02:19 PM

464 posts, read 451,803 times
Quote:
A little bit too hasty, but yes, I completely agree, there is quite a mini-boom going on in Midtown and Downtown, and it's quite amazing to see.

Old 05-18-2015, 12:37 AM

Quote:
Negative or realistic?
Negative, like I said the first time.
Quote:
Are you sure they got ''no lives''? If they are unemployed, it probably can be contributed to Detroit's downfall and loss of the auto industry.
Well seeing that many are negative and never even lived in (some never even been to) Detroit, I would say that's unlikely.
Quote:
Or, maybe some people exaggerate everything positive and downplay everything negative
Positive or realistic? See how I can play that game too? The only thing I may be exaggerating is what Detroit has the potential to be. I may have a positive, can do attitude (I mean, is that wrong?) but I've given Detroit it's fair share of criticism, I just don't beat the same topics to death again and again like you would like me to do. And oh yes, I like to brag about the positives of my city unlike you do... so what? Most people on CD do plenty of bragging about what's going on in their city. The whole reason I'm on CD is to inform many people who don't know that there are other things happening in Detroit besides all the negativity. But yea I'm the bad guy lol because I'm not here beating a dead horse. I don't know one thriving city or successful person for that matter that doesn't take advantage of their strengths and work on their weaknesses.
Quote:
Hopefully by city you mean Downtown area. A city that has lost two thirds of its residents and boasts a very high unemployment rate certainly isn't ''healthy''. Have you ever been outside the metro? Detroit is just beginning to recover from it's severe downfall.
No by "city" I mean the Detroit river to Telegraph, 8 mile to Ford rd. Find where I said Detroit was healthy: EXACTLY. Now reread my post since you missed it the first time. I said and I quote word for word "people who like to compare Detroit at it's lowest point to a city that is currently healthy". Get it? In other words I said, people are comparing a city that just went in steep decline to cities that are growing. And yes, I currently live outside of the metro but I'm there all the time and all over the city. Have you been outside of your neighborhood? No sh*t it's still recovering, I've said that countless times, even a couple days ago I think.
Quote:
Exactly.
I was actually referring to real residents on this quote. We are all tired of the bull despite how we see Detroit. The difference is, most people I know have plenty of complaints, me included but also have plenty of things that we love about the city and metro area. I am very disappointed in Detroit's performance on the world stage, especially this last decade. And I am extremely frustrated with the city government and anything that has to do with them, but I do like Duggan for now. I don't like the fact that we can't have regional rail as a mode of public transit, a more diversified economy would be nice to say the least, I can't stand the blight, and I absolutely hate the crime but I shall not fear anyone but God.
Quote:
Proof? By what you say in your posts I could assume you've never lived to Detroit either. Knowing that's probably not true makes it worse.
Take a trip to some of these other forums, you will find a few posters who will bash Detroit and their location clearly says their in another region.

And oh yea? lol why because my option is different then yours? most of the things I say about current Detroit can be backed up with facts. I may have an aggressive attitude but I'm usually pretty careful about this, if I can't back it up with facts but I assume it's true to the best of my knowledge, I will likely use words like "probably""maybe""should be", ect.

For obvious reasons I'm not going to say too much about my personal life on an internet forum full of strangers, but I'm eastside born, Harper and Conner, Ravendale neighborhood blocks from Harpos theater. The girl I talk to even stays on Outer Dr near there. My food spot was Harper and Chalmers; KFC, White Castle (now Captain Jay's), Keepin It Simple, Olympia Coney Island (my 24/7 munchie spot) and that place gets hype, and 2 blocks down another coney and a Subway. Rent DVD's (and VHS when I was little) movies from Blockbuster on Gratiot on weekend nights. Loved going to Northland skating rink even though it was far, and the high school parties I used to help promote as a little hustle when I was a teen used to slap hard. Joe Dumars, Bert's Warehouse, Bert's on Broadway, ect. Especially with hip roll, twerk, or sometimes jit contest. The foam parties, the pajama parties. Pssh best high school parties ever. Love going mall hoping and Fairlane was the spot. Although everybody bragged about shopping at Somerset. Great Lakes is my favorite though. Before that my parents took me to Warren and Conner alot, PACKED, all the time and full of people trying to sell you stuff. I kind of grew up on Coco, Foolish, and Mr. Chase on WJLB. I'm going to stop myself right here because I'm getting homesick. But this is why I have to laugh when you guys talk that "your just downtown" crap.
Quote:
The development never would have happened in Flint or Grand Rapids in the first place.
That was just an example of how many things are going on and how much more it takes for most neighborhoods to be affected.
Quote:
I'm pretty sure the revitalization of Manhattan and Harlem in the 1990s really helped neighboring boroughs Bronx and Brooklyn out considerably. If the riverfront recovered in a similar boom much more of the city would be revitalized than what we are seeing today.
As far as city services? yeah. But Brightmoor, Joy Rd, Fenkell, Schoolcraft, ect would still be the hood until someone worked on those neighborhoods specifically.

Old 06-14-2015, 12:32 PM

http://www.crainsdetroit.com/article...eekly-20150614

"[Meridian is] doubling its workforce this year as it hires more than 1,275 employees — including more than 700 in Detroit — by December.

Last week, Meridian posted job opportunities for 827 new employees, including many entry-level positions in its fast-growing call center, to add to its current 1,215 workforce. Some 1,085 are in Michigan.

The company also announced it will increase its minimum wage to $17 per hour to attract the best qualified and also to reward its current staff..."

Old 06-15-2015, 01:02 AM

944 posts, read 1,211,143 times
Quote:
you have to understand... at it's nadir Detroit was an empty downtown (in Howard Stern's autobiography, he talks about living in the Ren Cen Marriott and realizing that the only things to do in the city were in the Ren Cen itself), a university district that had largely become a ghetto and then a massive sprawl of increasingly empty suburban (in the literal sense) hellscape. What's happening right now is a lot of bustle and development downtown and around the university to meet what most cities would call the base standard for a city center surrounded by... an increasingly empty suburban hellscape. Now you can get an apartment by Grand Circus Park for $1200 a month... but a couple of miles away, that can buy you a full on house.

The difference between Detroit in 1995 and Detroit in 2015 is that 20 years ago the entire city was depressed and today only most of it is.

Old 06-15-2015, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brodie734 View Post
you have to understand... at it's nadir Detroit was an empty downtown (in Howard Stern's autobiography, he talks about living in the Ren Cen Marriott and realizing that the only things to do in the city were in the Ren Cen itself), a university district that had largely become a ghetto and then a massive sprawl of increasingly empty suburban (in the literal sense) hellscape. What's happening right now is a lot of bustle and development downtown and around the university to meet what most cities would call the base standard for a city center surrounded by... an increasingly empty suburban hellscape. Now you can get an apartment by Grand Circus Park for $1200 a month... but a couple of miles away, that can buy you a full on house.

The difference between Detroit in 1995 and Detroit in 2015 is that 20 years ago the entire city was depressed and today only most of it is.
That Howard Stern sound a little crazy. The only thing to do in the entire city is the Ren Cen? Please, there is really not much to do in the Ren Cen at all. There are much more exciting things to do then walk around the RenCen.

In 1995 downtown was depressed but much of the neighborhoods were much more in tact than they are now. Back then you could go through entire sections without seeing a vacant house. Now even most of the in tact neighborhoods have a vacant house here and there. And then some went from stable to half rotted.

Old 06-15-2015, 02:52 PM

944 posts, read 1,211,143 times
Keep in mind that he was talking about 1980.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit