Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2011, 12:10 AM

5 posts, read 14,627 times

Advertisements

Due to the close proximity to work, my wife and I are looking at buying a home in the Dearborn / Dearborn Heights area. I'm originally from the east side and don't know too much about the west site. Considering we're a caucasion couple, are there any peculairities of these cities? The obvious Arabic population already comes to mind. Is it as large as I assume it to be? We have 2 young toddlers (1 and 2.5 years) and need a residential perspective of what it will be like for them growing up in this environment. We're questioning our decision since several friends we know suggested we find a more traditional "white" neighborhood. They told us that our children would be the minority in many events, classrooms, activities, and on the playground.

The second option we're looking at is downriver in areas like Southgate, Wyandotte, and Woodhaven. Any advice is appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2011, 03:36 AM

21,088 posts, read 29,206,191 times
"White" neigborhood? The trolling motor running early isn't it. Taylor is probably the best fit for a nice blanco couple such as this. I might go so far as to suggest the Clarenceville area of Livonia also...

Old 12-13-2011, 03:36 AM

179 posts, read 273,646 times
West Dearborn and South Dearborn Heights (48124, 48125, 48128) are mostly white. There's really only a small section of Dearborn where your kids would be a minority.

When you start getting into some downriver communities like Wyandotte and Southgate, you will also encounter lots of people with racist, homophobic and a whole lot of other ancient views, and based on your post, you might fit in best with the other trash!

Old 12-13-2011, 02:27 PM

2 posts, read 8,879 times
West Dearborn 48124 and 48128 are the areas you want.

Old 12-14-2011, 09:43 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,764,742 times
In Dearborn it depends on where you are.

Downriver:

Grosse Ile
Trenton
Woodhaven
Riverview/Southgate
Wyandotte
Flat Rock
Gibraltar
Allen Park
Lincoln Park
Ecorse
Melvindale
River Rouge

In that order. Below **** = I would not live there. Grosse Ile is far and above the top of the list, but it is expensive. Wyandotte is a fantastic town, ut the schools are not so good. I would put it second overall as a place to live, but becuase of the schools, I put it lower. If you did school of choice options with Grosse Ile or Trenton it woudl move up the list (not sure if trenton is school of choice).

I can understand the cocern about your kids being a minority in school. However it is not always horrible having your kids be minorities in school. We lived in an almost entirely hispanic community for a long time and our kids had few problems. They had only a few playmeates from our area becuase a lot of the neighbor kids spoke little or no English, but they had a handful of good friends nearby and more from school, and chruch. It certianly gave them a good perspective. You just have to stay very involved to make certain that they are not mistreated. You would not have the language issue, but there is also a cultural divide (for example: sometimes when we told a new friend that we do nto permit cursing in our house, we never saw them again). the simple fact is that most people feel more comfortable hanging out with people from a similar culture with simlar values. We ran into as much of a divide due to income/educaton levels as we did due to race/culture. However we made a lot of really good friends (some of whom we can barely talk to, but we figured it out and became friends anyway). We learned a lot about alternate culture (for example white people have BORING parties by comparison). Once we got around initial suspicion we were treated like members of the family by some of our neighbors. It was great.

In part is depends on the school and how much or how little harrassment they will tolerate. Our girls were once surrounded by a group of midle schoolers chanting "rich little White B**ch" That was distrubing, but all of the girls involved were removed from the school and sent elsewhere. That was the only singificant incident, but there were minor things.

The concept that your kids will attend a school where they are a minority and never encounter racist issues, is a pipe dream. It will always happen. Howevr it could be good for them or bad for them depending on the severety and the reaction/result.

Welcome.

Last edited by Coldjensens; 12-14-2011 at 09:51 AM..

Old 12-14-2011, 08:27 PM

4 posts, read 10,631 times
If you are really set on Dearborn than go for the areas in west Dearborn north of michigan avenue, the houses are pricier and the schools are better in that area. If it were up to me i wouldn't buy in dearborn because it is on sort of a decline and you have so many better options, and out of the ones you listed in downriver Woodhaven is the best one.

Old 12-15-2011, 04:12 AM

21,088 posts, read 29,206,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scubachris View Post
Due to the close proximity to work, my wife and I are looking at buying a home in the Dearborn / Dearborn Heights area. I'm originally from the east side and don't know too much about the west site. Considering we're a caucasion couple, are there any peculairities of these cities? The obvious Arabic population already comes to mind. Is it as large as I assume it to be? We have 2 young toddlers (1 and 2.5 years) and need a residential perspective of what it will be like for them growing up in this environment. We're questioning our decision since several friends we know suggested we find a more traditional "white" neighborhood. They told us that our children would be the minority in many events, classrooms, activities, and on the playground.

The second option we're looking at is downriver in areas like Southgate, Wyandotte, and Woodhaven. Any advice is appreciated.

I SEE BLACK PEOPLE AND OTHER MINORITIES>>>OOOOOOOOOOOOO NOOOOOOOO!

Grosse Isle would be perfect for scubachris...I hear there are plans to privatize the second bridge making the island the Downriver's own version of "LOST."

Old 12-20-2011, 11:48 AM

170 posts, read 495,958 times
"We're questioning our decision since several friends we know suggested we find a more traditional "white" neighborhood."

White neighborhood???After you get settled,wherever you settle,sounds like it might be wise to question your choice of friends.

Old 12-20-2011, 04:42 PM

5,739 posts, read 6,931,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
I SEE BLACK PEOPLE AND OTHER MINORITIES>>>OOOOOOOOOOOOO NOOOOOOOO!
Grosse Isle would be perfect for scubachris...I hear there are plans to privatize the second bridge making the island the Downriver's own version of "LOST."
The ultimate gated community.

Old 12-21-2011, 04:06 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,764,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by detwahDJ View Post
The ultimate gated community.
People who actually live in a place get annyoed when peole with no knowlege whatsever disseminate false and mad eup information about the place.

You clearly have no idea what Grosse Ile is really like.

Just saying.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit