Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-04-2013, 07:16 PM

35 posts, read 439,984 times

Advertisements

Hi,
I am looking to move close to downtown detroit, around 20 min drive. can someone suggest where to find good apartment ? i was looking in sterling heights but couldnt find any apartment so far with good reviews. if anyone knows of good place , please let me know. i have kids so need safe , clean place.
thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2013, 07:07 PM

70 posts, read 145,213 times
Green Hill and Polo Club Apartments in Farmington Hills (9 Mile/Halsted) are both good apartment communities that are rather safe and in a good area, plus Farmington Public Schools are pretty good. Easy commute to downtown, might be a tad more than 20 minutes in rush hour though, but it's a good area that I'm familiar with. Green Hill has a lot of open green commons areas with ponds and stuff, so that might give your kids more space to play opposed to Polo Club. I think both are worth looking at though. Muirwood is also in Farmington Hills at Grand River and Drake Rd, which is a gated apartment community with a rather low crime rate. That might also be an option for you. Good luck with your search!

Old 05-06-2013, 06:50 AM

1,648 posts, read 3,273,537 times
Sterling Heights has a large Chaldean population so would be a good choice. The schools are good and the area is safe. Don't worry so much about reviews - the only people who post a review are the negative whiners so I find them rather pointless. Use a sight like craigslist and just search by city (e.g. Sterling Heights or Farmington Hills) - then only filter by ones with pictures - you can tell a lot about a complex by looking at pictures online - then do a drive by of the ones you like - this will tell you if its well maintained (have kids hanging out in the parking lot etc). You might want to consider renting a single family house - I think since you have kids - it would be easier so you don't have to worry about other neighbor issues in a complex and have more of that community feel. There are a lot of single family homes in SH (e.g. ranches) from the 50's/60's - you can rent for as cheap as 800/month. Then you can have your own BBQ's, backyard for grilling/friends over etc. Something like this 3 br, 2 bath House - 39711 Karola or this might be a better option for raising your family... Family Room With Natural Fireplace.

Old 05-07-2013, 12:58 PM

406 posts, read 768,923 times
both Sterling Heights and Farmington Hills are further than 20 min from Downtown.....have you considered downtown itself?

Old 05-13-2013, 06:58 PM

35 posts, read 439,984 times
Thanks guys. We drove there , looked around the apartments in dearborn, farmington hills and sterling heights and found oak hill apartments in shelby township which is right at border of where sterling heights. muirwood we had in our list but its reviews were pretty bad online so i ddint consider it.
commute is more like 30 mins for that now but thats best we could find. hope its safe area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit