Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2014, 03:59 PM

24,832 posts, read 37,356,060 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OuttaTheLouBurbs View Post
But there are no National Guard tankers in Detroit. No one has sent any form of assistance at all. Everyone is just standing back and hoping someone else will address the elephant in the room. It's a mix of "not my problem," as detwahDJ said, and of denialism stemming from disbelief that people could suffer and be poor in the most powerful nation on earth (so powerful that it can't even solve its own problems!).
They do not need tankers.....they need to get off of their lazy butts and haul water or, pay their bill.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2014, 04:21 PM

1,709 posts, read 2,169,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
They do not need tankers.....they need to get off of their lazy butts and haul water or, pay their bill.
THEY

ARE

NOT

ABLE

TO

PAY

!!!!!!!!!!!!

Inability=/=Laziness.

And where will they haul water from? It's not like they can dig wells in their backyard.

Old 07-06-2014, 04:55 PM

3,671 posts, read 5,890,947 times
I read this from somewhere, it seems like this may be the problem.
Quote:
An outstanding water bill is a lien against the title to a property and should show up in a credit report pertaining to a sale. Given the low quality of City of Detroit record keeping, I could see that it is possible for one to buy a property with liens attached that were not discovered. However, a thorough title search is part of a sale. My last two home purchases cleared thousands of dollars in unpaid HOA fees as part of the deal.

And it is part of the problem.

On my old street in Detroit, there are homes with a market value of $1,000.

If that property has liens for unpaid water and taxes of $3,000, then the true price is now negative $2,000.

The same scenario in a functional area wherein the value of a home is $100,000 would be resolved by dropping the proceeds to the seller to $97,000 and clearing the liens at closing.
It seems, if I wanted to rent properties and bought a few flats around the city, and the previous owners had unpaid waterbills, that would now somehow be my problem because it's my property now. Well ain't that a bi*ch. And for someone who doesn't have to live in the properties he owns, he probably says "FU*K THAT! I'm not paying the water department for sh*t that I didn't use!" and I can imagine alot of new home owners feeling the same, I think that is what alot of people are getting so upset about. I mean, forcing me to pay for someone else's bills is a bunch of bull.

Last edited by MS313; 07-06-2014 at 05:05 PM..

Old 07-06-2014, 05:22 PM

9,317 posts, read 21,012,251 times
If you did a title search and purchased title insurance, you turn it over to the Title Insurance company to pay.

That why you buy title insurance, to be sure you have a clean title when you buy it. If there is a later claim on the title, the Title Insurances job is to fight it, or pay it.

For Negative Properties, Many Cities/Counties will do a quit claim, on there liens to get the lien off there books, and allow the property to be sold, with the hope they it will be tax producing again.

Old 07-06-2014, 06:29 PM

5,155 posts, read 4,624,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MS313 View Post
I read this from somewhere, it seems like this may be the problem.
It seems, if I wanted to rent properties and bought a few flats around the city, and the previous owners had unpaid waterbills, that would now somehow be my problem because it's my property now. Well ain't that a bi*ch. And for someone who doesn't have to live in the properties he owns, he probably says "FU*K THAT! I'm not paying the water department for sh*t that I didn't use!" and I can imagine alot of new home owners feeling the same, I think that is what alot of people are getting so upset about. I mean, forcing me to pay for someone else's bills is a bunch of bull.
Really? How do you find this out before you buy a house?

Old 07-06-2014, 06:47 PM

Quote:
THEY

ARE

NOT

ABLE

TO

PAY

!!!!!!!!!!!!

Inability=/=Laziness.

And where will they haul water from? It's not like they can dig wells in their backyard.
Any park will have water.....any public building...gas stations....friend's homes.

They will find it......they just need to go get it or, pay their bill.

Old 07-06-2014, 07:14 PM

1,709 posts, read 2,169,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
Any park will have water.....any public building...gas stations....friend's homes.

They will find it......they just need to go get it or, pay their bill.
Half of Detroit's parks are shut down. The city went bankrupt, I doubt they can afford to keep drinking fountains maintained and running. Plus the local park drinking fountain is not enough to feed the daily water needs of 350,000 people.

Gas station water costs money. Chances are if you can't afford your water bill, you won't be able to afford water from the gas station either. Unless you're just taking water from the sink, which would just jack up the gas station's water bill and totally defeat the purpose of shutting off water to non-payers to stop people taking advantage of those that can/do pay. And again, gas stations can't fulfill the needs of 350,000 people.

What if their friends can't afford/don't get water either? And again with jacking up someone else's water bill and defeating the purpose of blocking access to nonpayers to stop payers being taken advantage of.

Maybe the best solution would be to encourage community use-everyone on a street or block uses one home's water and all contribute what they can to the water bill. Maybe that will work for those who have little, but I'm not sure about those who have none. Then again, that depends on how well the community works as a unit, if at all-one bad apple might screw up such a system.

Old 07-06-2014, 09:15 PM

5,719 posts, read 6,450,395 times
If they cannot afford water, let them eat cake. U.S.A.!!!

Old 07-06-2014, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Half of Detroit's parks are shut down. The city went bankrupt, I doubt they can afford to keep drinking fountains maintained and running. Plus the local park drinking fountain is not enough to feed the daily water needs of 350,000 people.

Gas station water costs money. Chances are if you can't afford your water bill, you won't be able to afford water from the gas station either. Unless you're just taking water from the sink, which would just jack up the gas station's water bill and totally defeat the purpose of shutting off water to non-payers to stop people taking advantage of those that can/do pay. And again, gas stations can't fulfill the needs of 350,000 people.

What if their friends can't afford/don't get water either? And again with jacking up someone else's water bill and defeating the purpose of blocking access to nonpayers to stop payers being taken advantage of.

Maybe the best solution would be to encourage community use-everyone on a street or block uses one home's water and all contribute what they can to the water bill. Maybe that will work for those who have little, but I'm not sure about those who have none. Then again, that depends on how well the community works as a unit, if at all-one bad apple might screw up such a system.
They will find a place to get water......if not they can just go without if they are that helpless.

Old 07-06-2014, 09:35 PM

3,671 posts, read 5,890,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyonpa View Post
If you did a title search and purchased title insurance, you turn it over to the Title Insurance company to pay.

That why you buy title insurance, to be sure you have a clean title when you buy it. If there is a later claim on the title, the Title Insurances job is to fight it, or pay it.

For Negative Properties, Many Cities/Counties will do a quit claim, on there liens to get the lien off there books, and allow the property to be sold, with the hope they it will be tax producing again.
The thing is, many of these homes are cheap, half the people buying them probably doesn't think about the unpaid pills owed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit