Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2008, 10:12 PM

1,996 posts, read 3,161,988 times

Advertisements

Dexterguy, there are many white folks who have moved down to the Midtown and Downtown Areas, as well as several neighborhoods east of Belle Isle collectively called the Villages - Indian Village, West Village, Islandview Village, Joseph Berry Subdivision, etc.

In addition, there are sizable white populations on the periphery of the westside of the city. Two of the more well-known neighborhoods are Brightmoor and Warrendale; the Parkland (neighborhood west of Rouge Park) and Five Points (neighborhood west of Telegraph Road) have white folks that have stayed ALL of these years.

There was an article in the Detroit Free Press either yesterday or today, that highlighted a white guy from Ann Arbor who bought a 2-bedroom loft in the renovated Carlton Building in Brush Park for just $114,000. Oh, how the real estate market has tanked!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2008, 12:07 AM

214 posts, read 1,061,560 times
Man there aint whites in detroit still and there is no villages. You sound like you get this **** from a book. And that idiot who bought that loft is ginna learn about how detroit really is just like the rest of those wanna bes.

Old 08-07-2008, 12:57 AM

52 posts, read 270,234 times
The Villages are still majority black but there are a lot of whites still there.

Detroit, unfortunately, had its problems hit one after another.

First it was the first race riot, then the next one, then the Coleman Young adminstration , then the first signs of a hurting auto industry, then closing the plants, then the crack epidemic, and then Kwame, blah blah blah...

Old 08-07-2008, 01:16 AM

271 posts, read 934,339 times
When the mayor states he wants to keep Detroit a "chocolate city", and even some business advertise as "chocolate city" on their signs, then it tends to set a double standard, one which preys on white guilt, in which it is deemed "OK" for blacks to brag about how they desire a black city, but all hell would break loose in our "politically correct" nation if one single white folk, let alone a white mayor, stated their city was a "vanilla city". The mayor of New Orleans has made racist "chocolate city" statements too...and look at the percentage of white folks there...

The double standard is extreme in detroit...even to the point where many blacks are saying enough is enough, and leaving also. If a white mayor had pulled off the BS that the black mayor has in Detroit, every hillbilly, redneck, middle class, and elitist caucasian would have sacrificed their white mayor at the stake...but for some unknow reason, blacks in detroit tend to favor their black mayor without limits to right or wrong. The news stories that surface about the black mayor scare white folks out of detroit, sure enough, but the backing of the corrupt black mayor by the detroit community...that scares the hell out of whites even more.

And another reason white fear detroit is the media repeatedly covering polls of odd information, to scare the crap out of everyone. Just look at the polls of what percentage of whites and blacks think that crack was invented by the FBI to eliminate colored people. Then what the hell is meth, an FBI tool to kill white farm communities??? If anything should get the blame, blame "LIFE" itself for drug creation and usage. The media is posting useless garbage, in order to scare people and increase profits...

Another thing that scares whites faster than almost anything is the crime rate in Detroit. Blacks are less scared of crime than whites as due to economic conditions, they are forced to deal with living in such areas and become more accustomed to the negative nightly news stories and nightly guns shots noises and sirens. Whites on the other hand, run around scared to death with each new news story, no matter how rare or if it is a black man killing another black man. It is kind of like dying in a plane crash, you are more likely to get hit by lightning...but hey, it "could" happen, right??? Logic looses when it comes to fear, and emotions rule supreme...

Siberia

P.S. Don't take my post negatively, as I'm 110% logical thinker, and -10% emotional thinking...not a good combination in a politically correct society. My brain is wired differently than most so I may never be understood, but that is the point isn't it, to make people really, really think...

Old 08-07-2008, 06:26 AM

262 posts, read 788,261 times
I would say is if white folks are as scared as you say, I feel for them, this is the problem with white people they are gutless, the thing is they make their own fear of blacks, I have friends who are black and I have custmers who are black, they are not out to scare white people. I know some black folks that will take a white person's kindness and they will look at it as a weakness. But most of the violence in Detroit is drug deals gone bad, or black on black crimes, yet white folks freak out, I would say allot of white folks need to watch this man and listen to what he has to say about this subject.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e_alvfFq3BA This man would know since he is a Black man who is a leader who needs to be heard, He makes a lot of sence to what is wrong between white and black folks. I tried pulling this video up and now it's been removed, so do a search for "Honorable James David Manning" then look for the video of his titled "A Call to Arms for White People of Truth" then watch and see if you don't agree with him. and intil this takes place here in Detroit it will always be all this BS for no real reason. I think that Black folks feel they wouldn't be treated right by white, Which I don't understand, it's not like it's 1950 we are 58 years pass those days. so why is it we can't get passed this?

Last edited by Frankawitz; 08-07-2008 at 06:44 AM..

Old 08-07-2008, 12:01 PM

that youtube vvideo makes sence he might be right. But about the drug deals and black on black crime and whites shouldn`t worry is wrong. They better worry being the only white in the neighborhood they will be attacked. Imagine being a new white to the city and walking along the streets in linwood, joy ,fenkell you think they wont do anything seeing you. And alot of detroit crime is random too not everybody seells drugs but they still get shot.

Old 08-07-2008, 12:03 PM

not to sound like a racist but it really is the truth. If a black guy sees another black he wont mind but seeing some white guy out of nowhere he honestly will be harrassed or worse maybe.

Old 08-07-2008, 12:18 PM

Indian village and them are pretty good but I think there is racism there to you just dont hear about. I heard a story about a family(white family) in indian village who had their house firebombed(cause they were white), and put up with crime there for a while mostly theft. It probably has more crime than say gross pointe cause it is sourrounded by bad neighborhoods. Overall pretty sad how somebody would burn a house down over race.

Old 08-07-2008, 12:21 PM

658 posts, read 831,291 times
Blacks in Detroit are racist, they don't want whites there, so why would you move someplace you weren't wanted? You have to sleep sometime, and why live in a state of defensiveness all the time? Exercise your preference to live among people glad to see you instead of how they can disrespect you today.

Old 08-07-2008, 12:58 PM

Jamesandveybe: Even though im black im not racist. I dont like yuppies trying to change my city though its good there is like a few that will leave in a yr or 2 anyways. But blacks dont want whites there it really is true. Imagine if some white family moved to my old hood they would be picked on robbed and more cause they`re different. Sad but true.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit