Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-11-2009, 01:30 AM

69 posts, read 259,062 times

Advertisements

One word = Mogadishuization
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2009, 02:21 AM

300 posts, read 1,014,935 times
Stop flying whites

Dont run away, do something u morons.

Old 01-12-2009, 09:38 AM

1 posts, read 3,119 times
Default The sad truth....

I grew up in Detroit until my father moved to Tennessee to continue his work with GM and honestly I miss Detroit. No one on these post seems to talk about all the good people there are in Detroit. No one talks about the fact that in many neighborhoods people are life family and children are raised by the entire block not just there own parents. I understand about crime rate and danger, I also understand that as it may not be as pronounced in other states as it is in Michigan it does happen. I live in Philadelphia and when I watch the news I can expect a couple people to be murdered and a couple cops. I just want the city where my family resides to be helped. I am getting my college education and would like to return to Michigan and use my skills to become a teacher so that I can help the city not just bad mouth it. I notice a lot that people from Detroit move get educated and are too selfish to move there skills back to the city they come from. That's the sad part.

Old 01-18-2009, 12:11 AM

16,259 posts, read 43,195,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
Yes....because many present white Americans cannot live with the resultant creation of many past white Americans....in regards to the behavior of present blacks. If you don't treat people like excrement for centuries.....maybe you would not have a problem with the smell.....and hence not have to move. Its the black stink that white stink created. The problem is....however.....yaw don't or can't smell yourselves.
People often forget that the majority of whites don't trace their lineage back to 1700s/1800s America, whereas black americans do.

Particularly in Michigan, most of the white people are not BRITISH with British white names that you'd see in the South (and who might be descendents of black slave owners, who knows?)

But most in Michigan have Polish names, Greek names, Irish names, etc. on and on. Main point being they are basically immigrants who happened to come to Detroit for economic opportunities during the automobile industry.

While its a nice idea that they immigrated and have a social obligation to the right the wrongs of previous white Americans predominately of British/Scottish origin...I think the reality is that the same thing that brought them to Detroit (for a better life), later pushed them to leave Detroit (for a better life)...

The fact they left 'black people' in Detroit probably wasn't any more of a motivation than leaving behind 'Polish' people in Poland, or 'Irish' people in Ireland, or 'Greek' people in Greece, or wherever else it is they came from.

The tragedy of 'America' is that there are massive racial problems...everyone can see it....black and white...what exactly can a white person do about it? Vote for a Black President perhaps? Elect mayors in many large American cities? Worship and adore all forms of music by black people and question Enimem's musical ability because of his whiteness? Adore all black atheletes - Jordan, Tiger Woods, etc. Maybe the answer is for a white person to try for political offices as a Democrat and try to change the system from within.

Personally I think there still needs to be a lot more happening to make America better for all of us. But, at some point, there has got to come a time when a white person can be able to walk into a black neighborhood without being assumed he has some personal deathwish. A time when the black communities do have their own wealth and make positive contributions to their communities, etc. What can make this happen?

I certainly saw it happening when I lived in New York City. I keep hearing that southern cities like Atlanta have strong middle class and upper class black neighborhoods, etc. But Detroit, I don't see it. I think the first step for Detroit is to attract black wealth from other black cities, then go from there...who knows.

Last edited by Tiger Beer; 01-18-2009 at 01:06 AM..

Old 01-27-2009, 09:25 PM

34 posts, read 191,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cardwellave View Post
white flight started here in the 50s and 60s like in a lot of US cities. This was sped up by a race riot and a racist black mayor, Coleman Young. Put that together with 30 years of decline and you have Detroit.
This. Detroit has always been the most racist city in the US.

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Northsider View Post
Question for Indentured Servant ...

Back in 1975, thousands of "Boat People" from Vietnam came to this country with nothing, and could not even speak English, but somehow, they seemed to thrive and their children are tops in education.

How is it that, this race, can achieve so much in a "Short 25-30 Years" and other races are still lagging behind and expecting entitlements, after being here for 100-150-200 years ???
Spot on. I could not help but gag over the same **** from IS I that have heard my whole childhood and young adult life as a Detroiter. I am a second generation US citizen and Detroiter. My family legally immigrated to Detroit for the factory jobs. They did not speak the language; they were discriminated against. They did not blame the Man or any other cultural or ethnic group for trying to hold them down. Their kids moved out of the City as the Big 3 jobs moved to the suburbs. We thrived and received college and post college educations. There were no entitlements, just a lot of hard work.

Old 01-28-2009, 02:47 PM

93,350 posts, read 123,972,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ILWoods View Post
This. Detroit has always been the most racist city in the US.

Spot on. I could not help but gag over the same **** from IS I that have heard my whole childhood and young adult life as a Detroiter. I am a second generation US citizen and Detroiter. My family legally immigrated to Detroit for the factory jobs. They did not speak the language; they were discriminated against. They did not blame the Man or any other cultural or ethnic group for trying to hold them down. Their kids moved out of the City as the Big 3 jobs moved to the suburbs. We thrived and received college and post college educations. There were no entitlements, just a lot of hard work.
Actually, SE Asians have above average poverty rates, in general. So, while some have "made it", there are many that are still struggling to do so. That isn't any different from any other groups in this country. Then you have to keep in mind that many refugees were aided by many religious based groups that helped them to comfortably transition into this society.

Also, let's not forget the fact that they came with families and culture in tact. That helps, because that forms some type of unity and it can be a community effort to move along in society. So, let's not discount the general histories of groups as well. If anything, the efforts of Blacks helped to open the door for other groups of immigrants to come here. Isn't it interesting that such immigration increased after the Civil Rights Movement, which helped to break down many walls in that respect? Just some things to think about......

Old 02-01-2009, 03:00 PM

4,050 posts, read 3,959,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparky1961 View Post
In the 60's, black people came here because of welfare and auto jobs. As they came into Detroit, which back then had its Polish area, its Italian area and so forth, these people moved out. These people just didn't want to live with blacks, especially after the riots in the late 60's. This is why Detroit is what it is today, dirty, unsafe, drug ridden and full of unwed mothers.
This is the second comment where you are speaking totally out your rectum.
Black people did not come here for welfare they came here to work like everyone else and faced the same ignorant, stupid viewpoints as yours.
We took the most dangerous and undesirable jobs in the plants and faced prejudice outside the plants.

I'm not one of those people who blame everything on white people, but the two bigget reasons for the historical decline of Detroit was the unbending mindset of racists such as yourself and detroiters not attending college in enough numbers to sustain and college educated middle class along with the middle class the auto plants provided.

Racial riots in Detroit took place well before 1967 and blacks did not start them, do a little research next time.

Old 02-02-2009, 05:45 PM

93,350 posts, read 123,972,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reconmark View Post
This is the second comment where you are speaking totally out your rectum.
Black people did not come here for welfare they came here to work like everyone else and faced the same ignorant, stupid viewpoints as yours.
We took the most dangerous and undesirable jobs in the plants and faced prejudice outside the plants.

I'm not one of those people who blame everything on white people, but the two bigget reasons for the historical decline of Detroit was the unbending mindset of racists such as yourself and detroiters not attending college in enough numbers to sustain and college educated middle class along with the middle class the auto plants provided.

Racial riots in Detroit took place well before 1967 and blacks did not start them, do a little research next time.
Does Ossian Sweet ring a bell? What about these incidents as well:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Detroit_Race_Riot_(1863)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Detroit_Race_Riot_(1943)

1967 Detroit riot - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (Keep in mind that there were Blacks and whites involved, as many White Southerners came to Detroit to work in the auto industry too)

Ossian Sweet - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
sweet_trials_project

Old 02-04-2009, 09:52 AM

30 posts, read 107,339 times
Wow, I want to go back to Augusta, GA. We were a white family living in a neighborhood that was 90% black and nobody gave a DAMN what your skin color was. We all got along, we all did functions together. People were just friendly. The only bad thing was I couldn't understand what they were saying half the time.

Old 02-04-2009, 09:25 PM

937 posts, read 2,834,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan29 View Post
Wow, I want to go back to Augusta, GA. We were a white family living in a neighborhood that was 90% black and nobody gave a DAMN what your skin color was. We all got along, we all did functions together. People were just friendly. The only bad thing was I couldn't understand what they were saying half the time.
You don't speak jive? Hang around 6 mile and Gratiot for a few hours, you'll pick it up. That or you'll get shot and killed for being white.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit