Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2009, 09:59 PM

9,376 posts, read 11,947,828 times

Advertisements

I really like what And the had to say, mainly because he did live there and gave it a great shot. How hard it must be to grow up somewhere and see your city deteriorate and then to have to hear constantly how someone you care about gets their freedoms infringed upon by uncaring, ignorant individuals who have some ill placed sense of entitlement. To be afraid to leave your home that you worked so hard on building hopes on. To have to sleep with a weapon next to you.

How can anyone who has not lived that even have ONE iota of defense against someone who has? If a person has a pet peeve about where someone says they live, so be it. If you don't live inside Detroit, don't say you do. Geesh, what other untruths does someone else spout if they spout that. If you say it for the geograpical simplification, that is one thing, and it is still incorrect. If you do it because you think you live there and are trying to be all proud of it, when in fact you are cozy in the suburbs, that is just wrong, really.

Seems as if it is like saying that you were in 'Nam when you were just enlisted, not actually there. Hard to defend fighting the battle, when you were not in the field.

Loving Detroit, wishing it was the way it used to be, hoping it will be one day...will not make it happen.

I say, Good Luck to Detroit. I grew up in Ferndale. Lots of memories of Detroit, but I am where I am at this moment and where I am is where I will be proud to be today. Memories are just that. Living in the past is a waste of energy. Yet, I do wish good things for Detroit and any other struggling city out there, they all started somewhere....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2009, 10:48 PM

9,376 posts, read 11,947,828 times
Main : James D. Griffioen

A Detroit you can be proud of...

Old 05-27-2009, 06:47 AM

282 posts, read 814,627 times
Amen R.I.P.

Old 05-27-2009, 10:37 AM

979 posts, read 3,828,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimba01 View Post
Main : James D. Griffioen

A Detroit you can be proud of...
Those were amazing pictures. It was like reading a really great book, looking through those, from the stories they portrayed of Detroit. That were beautiful in all of their decrepitness. Thanks!

Old 05-27-2009, 01:54 PM

999 posts, read 4,528,271 times
Gonna be a long, hot summer......

Old 06-02-2009, 09:01 AM

7 posts, read 14,685 times
I think this thread should be at the top of the forum, a Sticky even. "and the" really drives it home in this thread...dead on the money. I agree 100%, and I'm willing to bet that the majority of Detroiters would too if they were able to afford computers and internet service.

Old 06-02-2009, 06:48 PM

1 posts, read 1,059 times
I am from Detroit, and damn proud of it for whoever wants to know. I have no problems with being from Detroit. Raised on the eastside. I'm not poor or dumb. All my family still live in Detroit and are doing quite well. They would never think about leaving Detroit. I chose to leave because I got tired of the cold weather, but let me tell you I miss Detroit and all it has to offer.

Old 06-02-2009, 07:03 PM

21,088 posts, read 29,227,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by and the View Post
Gonna be a long, hot summer......
They call me MR> TIBBS!!

Old 08-12-2009, 02:42 AM

84 posts, read 312,091 times
I personally think anyone from the Metro area is from Detroit. It's the same as someone from Chicagoland saying they're from Chicago. And the got owned by OP and I am on St8's side.
Like the "Detroit Patriots" a couple post before me said. I will thrash anyone who talks negatively about Detroit.

YouTube - Martha & The Vandellas "Dancing in the Streets"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit