Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2009, 09:22 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,820,680 times

Advertisements

I went through a simlar thing. However I paid the moving voilation and intended to take my proof of insurance in and show them that I had it (I had it with me, but it was smeared and unreadable, so I had to order a new card). Well I forgot. Next thing I know I owe $200 to the court payable right now to avoid a warrant and they are suspending my license. Later while tyrying to get this resolved, I get a letter from the state demanding $200. I spent some time trying to find out what I could do about it (nothing was the ultimate answer, it was too late). Then they threatened to suspend my liscense. I paid the $200 to the court but at the time I did not realize that the state claim is something different and additional. It turns out that the state thing is not only seperate, but I now have to pay $200 per year for several years. I paid the $200 to the state, then they called our house and talked to my wife, who got nervous and paid them another $200 over the phone, not knowing that I had already paid it. Then I got my tax return information back and found out that the State took another $200 out of my tax return to pay the fee again. Thus, I have paid the State $600 and they still say that I have not paid it. I paid the court $200. I apparently have to pay an additional $200 per year for several years. I am not sure whether I will get the extra $400 that was paid to the state back or whether they will ever acknowlege that I paid it (three times) and stop sending me threatening letters. However, not counting the ticket penalty (which was maybe $130) and not counting the resulting increased insurace rates, the smeared insurance card is apparently going to cost me over $1000.

I think that I will get my insruance card plastic coated and have it mounted somewhere in my car. That cannot cost anywhere near $1000. Maybe I should have it engraved onto a metal plate and weld it in place.

this is very frustrating to me because in California where we recently lived, the police officer cna check on his computer in his car and confirm that you are insured. You must have proof of insurance connected to your registration and the insurance company has to notify the DMV if your insruance is cancelled or modified. Thus, the DMV has all of your insurance informantion in heir computer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2009, 05:14 PM

6 posts, read 18,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smooth23 View Post
This.. seriously I find it crazy how people just say "oh I don't have the time to go deal with it, I'll just pay it" Doing that is letting the system own you!
You are right. This was my first moving violation, I hope my last.
I did n't think that I could fight a speeding ticket.

Old 11-03-2009, 05:17 PM

6 posts, read 18,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
I went through a simlar thing. However I paid the moving voilation and intended to take my proof of insurance in and show them that I had it (I had it with me, but it was smeared and unreadable, so I had to order a new card). Well I forgot. Next thing I know I owe $200 to the court payable right now to avoid a warrant and they are suspending my license. Later while tyrying to get this resolved, I get a letter from the state demanding $200. I spent some time trying to find out what I could do about it (nothing was the ultimate answer, it was too late). Then they threatened to suspend my liscense. I paid the $200 to the court but at the time I did not realize that the state claim is something different and additional. It turns out that the state thing is not only seperate, but I now have to pay $200 per year for several years. I paid the $200 to the state, then they called our house and talked to my wife, who got nervous and paid them another $200 over the phone, not knowing that I had already paid it. Then I got my tax return information back and found out that the State took another $200 out of my tax return to pay the fee again. Thus, I have paid the State $600 and they still say that I have not paid it. I paid the court $200. I apparently have to pay an additional $200 per year for several years. I am not sure whether I will get the extra $400 that was paid to the state back or whether they will ever acknowlege that I paid it (three times) and stop sending me threatening letters. However, not counting the ticket penalty (which was maybe $130) and not counting the resulting increased insurace rates, the smeared insurance card is apparently going to cost me over $1000.

I think that I will get my insruance card plastic coated and have it mounted somewhere in my car. That cannot cost anywhere near $1000. Maybe I should have it engraved onto a metal plate and weld it in place.

this is very frustrating to me because in California where we recently lived, the police officer cna check on his computer in his car and confirm that you are insured. You must have proof of insurance connected to your registration and the insurance company has to notify the DMV if your insruance is cancelled or modified. Thus, the DMV has all of your insurance informantion in heir computer.
I feel so bad for you.

Old 11-03-2009, 06:42 PM

1,049 posts, read 3,010,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post

I knew you were in michigan before i even looked at your location.. Only in michigan. You can thank our wonderful governess for the stupid driver responsibility fee,.. which is really just a way for the state to make more money to waste. Have to pay for her overseas vacations somehow..

Old 11-03-2009, 07:46 PM

21,088 posts, read 29,227,920 times
Quote:
I knew you were in michigan before i even looked at your location.. Only in michigan. You can thank our wonderful governess for the stupid driver responsibility fee,.. which is really just a way for the state to make more money to waste. Have to pay for her overseas vacations somehow..
Actually, I think the wonder gov took the idea from New Jersey...several east coast states have the responsibility fees..

Old 11-03-2009, 09:13 PM

1,049 posts, read 3,010,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
Actually, I think the wonder gov took the idea from New Jersey...several east coast states have the responsibility fees..
Still.. makes me

The idea that people can't get their licenses back till they pay these stupid fees is beyond retarded. I know one guy who had a DUI so couldn't get his license back till he paid something like 6500 for this responsibility fee... well he would love to of paid that, but he kept losing his temp jobs because he was having difficulty getting transportation to/from work. The agency he was working for was paying him plenty when he could get to work, and he had a car..just wasn't aloud to drive to get there. Doesn't make a shred of sense.

Old 11-04-2009, 03:48 AM

21,088 posts, read 29,227,920 times
Quote:
Still.. makes me

The idea that people can't get their licenses back till they pay these stupid fees is beyond retarded. I know one guy who had a DUI so couldn't get his license back till he paid something like 6500 for this responsibility fee... well he would love to of paid that, but he kept losing his temp jobs because he was having difficulty getting transportation to/from work. The agency he was working for was paying him plenty when he could get to work, and he had a car..just wasn't aloud to drive to get there. Doesn't make a shred of sense.

Seems it has always been Michigan's response to "raising" money..charge the people in some form of TAX or FEE...

Especially outrageous FEES like these responsibility fees. I would be a little more understanding if it were a SECOND offense of a case of absolute refusal to adhere to the laws.

But to have a ticket (and there is NO explanation of the consequence for the no proof of insurance citation) and not be allowed to "correct" it by showing proof is beyond punative.

BUT...one should take it to court rather than taking the easy way out and mailing a check...saying we did not know does not justify our confusion / frustration with the fine(s)...

It pays to be an INFORMED citizen..

Old 11-07-2009, 02:07 AM

25 posts, read 92,465 times
In South Carolina they charge you with no proof of insurance and even if you bring a card to court your guilty because you did not have the proof at the time of the traffic stop. You do want to take your proof of insurance to court so the no insurance citation can be dropped. Otherwise you will be found guilty on that and they will suspend your license for no insurance and the SR-22 nightmare begins.

Old 11-07-2009, 05:10 AM

9,894 posts, read 22,027,890 times
If i didnt need a car for work i would do without one. Having a car can be VERY expensive & if you get a ticket for anything look out. The bottom line is dont speed, break the law & have everything up to date (drivers license, registration, insurance, etc). The last time i got a speeding ticket & no insurance was 4-97. My fine was $1,500.00. I went to nite court in san bernardino county (8-97) & showed proof of insurance (even though i got it a few months after i got the ticket) & my fine was reduced to $120.00. I then told the judge i was out of work & asked for community service. He granted it & i was ordered to complete 20 hrs of community service within 3 months. I paid my $30.00 fee & i ended up only doing 15 hrs of community service working at a rest home walking distance from my home. I lucked out big time. A short time later a friend of mine got a speeding/no insurance ticket & her fine was $1,400.00. She made monthly payments(admitted full guilt) & didnt go to court like i did. I told her what i did & she called me a liar & then i showed her proof (ticket, court order). She was a bit embarassed but you gotta admit i was one lucky bastard.

Old 11-09-2009, 10:39 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,820,680 times
Mostly I feel stupid for forgetting about this danged thing. I know better, but it slipped my mind. WEhat amazes me is that once the time passes, even though I was always insured, there is nothing that I can do about it. I cannto even go to a judge and say look I was always insured here is the proof, I just forgot about the ticket.

When we moved to Michigan, we knew that some things would be better and some worse than in California, but it never occurred to me that Michgian could actually have worse state and local governments than we did in Califronia, there it was so bad it was funny. Here, much of the government goes beyond even laughing at it. You just gape in amazement. Among other things, the additioanl requirement that the slipped into the insurance requriements amazes me. There is a mandatory requriement for insurance covering long term disability and medical, it is probably the most expensive insurance that there is, and one of the more profitable for insurance companies. You do not have a choice, you must buy it in Michigan. For this reason, our insrance is even higher than it was in California where everyone hires lawyers and sues over EVERY fender bender.

How can they do that to people?

But do not get me wrong. Other than the screwed up government at all levels,and the bad roads, we love michigan and are usually glad that we moved.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit