Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2010, 07:30 AM

7 posts, read 22,631 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerky1280 View Post
After having just spent my first winter in Detroit, I'd say that it's not as bad as everyone says.
Yeah, this was the best winter we've had in years...no exaggeration. The cold doesn't bother me as much as the snow, sometimes winter is bad, other times not.

To the OP:

- if you're in school, outside of sporting events and concerts (don't forget Fox Theater, The Filmore, The Detroit Opera House) and a few other things (the DIA, public library, heck, you might want to visit Canada) you really wouldn't be in Detroit that much I would expect.

There isn't much, if any shopping at all in the city itself. There are other totally fine malls outside of Great Lakes Crossing and Somerset Collection, but they're not in Detroit at all.

I think Detroit gets a bad rap because in most major cities you're not going to be venturing out around the neighborhoods you aren't familiar with. In general, if you're coming to Detroit for a sporting event, concert, etc., you'll be with friends and using common sense so you'd be fine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2010, 04:34 PM

1,900 posts, read 5,907,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
If you are going to Cranbrook, you are too young to have a car. How do you plan to get to Detroit?

The buses travel right down Woodward (not very far from Cranbrook) and go right into downtown Detroit, if the OP is feeling a bit daring.

Old 06-05-2010, 09:06 AM

970 posts, read 2,969,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beetuna View Post

- Lastly, Detroit is very bad. There are a few 'main' areas that are ok, and you can safely go to Tiger's games or some of the restaurants, but that's it. Do not just go driving around down there. In my opinion, it is not improving at all.
I agree with everything else you said except this. I drive around Detroit all the time, and I've never felt unsafe at any point in time. I got lost in what many would regard as a 'horrible neighborhood', Jefferson-Chalmers. The blight in there was unbelievable, and I felt perfectly comfortable. The people were friendly, I never felt like I was in any sort of danger asking for directions. The locals guided me back to Jefferson, and I continued on my way downtown. No issue whatsoever.

Old 06-08-2010, 03:44 AM

10 posts, read 33,962 times
Your biggest danger going to Cranbrook is being called out by Eminem in a rap battle. But he'd find some way to tear you apart regardless.
YouTube - Eminem-8 Mile All 3 Final Rap Battles (HD actual video clips)

Old 06-11-2010, 07:52 AM

59 posts, read 306,874 times
Cranbrook is the best private school, period.

Old 06-11-2010, 07:53 AM

59 posts, read 306,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Remisc View Post
No issue whatsoever.

The exception, not the rule. Detroit doesn't get it's reputation for no reason.

Old 06-11-2010, 10:37 AM

970 posts, read 2,969,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by delayed View Post
The exception, not the rule. Detroit doesn't get it's reputation for no reason.
Detroit's reputation isn't really based on crime anymore. It's based on how run-down and creepy it is.

Old 06-14-2010, 09:48 AM

3,120 posts, read 8,065,523 times
Bloomfield Hills is where many wealthy people live so Bloomfield Hills itself is safe. Note however that it is located next to the city of Pontiac which is a poor city with accompanying high crime, almost like a mini-Detroit out in the suburbs.

Old 06-20-2010, 08:02 PM

10 posts, read 20,085 times
Bloomfield Hills is an extremely wealthy area. No crime except for teenage pranks. I was lucky enough to be raised there. Cranbrook is an excellent school with a well deserved wonderful reputation. I went to summer camp there as a child - the grounds are beautiful. My wedding reception was also held onsite. You will enjoy your time at the school, I think.

Old 06-21-2010, 03:37 PM

436 posts, read 755,954 times
I attended Crankbrook when I was younger, and yes, it is an excellent school. If you board, they do have shuttles during the weekend to take you to Birmingham and Sumerset (a nice mall in Troy). If you are a basketball fan, you can always hit the Palace (which is in Auburn Hills, so different direction).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit