Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2010, 04:48 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,201,963 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by StopMisinformation View Post
Blacks have moved in my neighbourhood too and it is not a working class neighbourhood,but with housing prices down to tubes they can afford to move here.Honestly i wanted out a long time ago,but it was just not possible.There is no other explanation when you see that most blacks are well fed and hell even menacing and they ride new nice cars too.So what am i missing here?Obama was afterall elected because of his color to suppress any riots because the blacks will riot one day and it will not be pretty.The blacks have been used far too many times and so were the immigrants.Honestly people are holding into their last line of jobs....i mean their last opportunities by en large.
What?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2010, 01:18 PM

3,120 posts, read 8,065,523 times
Does anyone remember Rita X? She claimed to be from Detroit. Hear her classic phone call to the Rush Limbaugh show here:

YouTube - Rush Recalls his "Rita X" caller

I'm still waiting for the Motherplane to come.

Old 06-16-2010, 01:58 PM

1,781 posts, read 2,682,126 times
Lightbulb Cut The BS? No By All Means---After You...

Quote:
Originally Posted by edub View Post
Please cut the BS.

The first city to experience white flight was Oak Park which is now quite dangerous. And if you think Southfield hasn't seen increases in crime you must be living on Mars.

Look, the fact of the matter, like it or not is that the perception many people have toward Blacks is based on a well deserved reputation. You can try to paint it as "racism" all you want but the facts don't lie.

The fact is that crime, violence and other social decay is far higher in black neighborhoods. Add to that loud, boisterous behavior, rude conduct and a host of other annoyances and you have a situation that is unpleasant to most Whites. You may also be interested to know that spouses of black men are 7 times (700%) more likely to be victims of domestic abuse than spouses of Whites. So, not wanting your daughter to date a black guy is another case in which there is ample justification. Not to say it should never be allowed.

You can cry racism all you want but the facts are the facts. Not being racist doesn't mean people must close their eyes to the obvious and blindly accept abhorrent conduct.

I am one person who would not want to live in a black neighborhood. I'm not saying there are not a lot of great people in these neighborhoods or that these areas are unlivable, just that the down side is too large. Crime aside, I can not stand the hip hop, ghetto culture. I hate the ridiculous looking cars with rims as tall as I am and bass that is sure to annoy everyone within a 1 mile radius. I hate the super loud, annoying hip hop ring tones that are always left ringing as long as possible. I hate the clown costumes so many of the kids wear with their pants at their knees. I hate listening to ay,ay ay and other boisterous ghetto slang always shouted at the top of the lungs so as to disturb everyone around.

Blacks that conduct themselves like normal, respectful, polite human beings I have no problem with. But, unfortunately even in the best black neighborhoods a lot of the aforementioned will be found and the less I see of it the better. I don't think it is racist to choose to live among as many decent people as possible.
I get so bloody sick and tired of all this 'arms-folded angry-guy' crap I could just hurl...

Maybe you should just go live in a cocoon---that way everything will be sugarlumps and butterflies, and your world will be just peachy...

Sorry for your luck---you can throw out all the statistics, and stereotypes, and angry-guy asides that you want, but that still won't change the fact that MOST black folk are decent, law-abiding people who want: good schools, good jobs, good housing for themselves and their families, and the ability to obtain these things without all this 'blacks are the antichrist!' malarkey being tossed about every day

I'm sorry if you are surrounded by an entire scenario of your worst nightmares (to wit: ghetto culture, rims, loud hip-hop ringtones, garish clothing, etc.)...I'm black, and I hate a lot of that stuff too, trust me---but doing what amounts basically to whining 'Ewwwww!!! I can't STAND that stuff!' on a chat forum doesn't do squat to changing your situation...so you're one guy who wouldn't want to live in an all-black neighborhood, then don't! I live in an 80%-white area in my neighborhood in Middletown, and have the BEST neighbors you'd ever want...if I ever move, I'd like to be in a mixed area, because after 54 years on earth , I've achieved a certain comfort level with people of ALL races...

Also, I'm, not here to cry 'racism'---I'm here to call bulls**t...I am NOT one of those folk who run about blaming whites for all of the ills present in black society...I've said this before on C-D, and I'll say it yet again---I and I ALONE am responsible for both being in a negative situation, and getting myself OUT of said situation---not 'whitey' (how 60's is that?)...and 'well deserved reputation' my hind end---you strike me as yet another person who has either been fed a never-ending diet of stereotypes by the media, or has been around the wrong kind of black people for so long that down looks like up to you...

And another thing---I thank almighty God that 'most whites', as you so magnanimously put it, aren't as negative as you when it comes to dealing with black folk, and that YOU don't speak for the entire white race...ask my neighbors who---loaned me their power tools and garden tools when my family first moved in 3 yrs ago---stop and compliment my wife and I about our yard and landscaping---watch our house when we are out of town---stop IN THE MIDDLE OF THE STREET to chat with us as we sit on our porch...yeah, real unpleasant situations there, for sure...

I'm ultimately sorry that you feel like you do...maybe you need to back away from your PC, put down the daily paper, cut off the TV, and instead of spewing bile about what you WOULDN'T do, actually try to interact with us once in a while...after all, we ALL don't drive flashy cars, wear garish clothes, or greet each other in passing in a way that offends your sensibilities...at the end of the day, we, too, are citizens of the United States Of America---NOT the 'United States Of Boy, Do Those Coloreds Get On My Nerves!'

Old 07-02-2010, 04:56 PM

1 posts, read 3,638 times
I have Black flies in my house downriver Allen Park, Micihigan, How do they get in all over windows Help Please

Old 07-02-2010, 05:52 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,201,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elliemae20 View Post
I have Black flies in my house downriver Allen Park, Micihigan, How do they get in all over windows Help Please
Congrats, you've just won the Random Post of the Week award.

Old 07-04-2010, 01:58 AM

9,376 posts, read 11,947,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by captaincatfish View Post
I get so bloody sick and tired of all this 'arms-folded angry-guy' crap I could just hurl...

Maybe you should just go live in a cocoon---that way everything will be sugarlumps and butterflies, and your world will be just peachy...

Sorry for your luck---you can throw out all the statistics, and stereotypes, and angry-guy asides that you want, but that still won't change the fact that MOST black folk are decent, law-abiding people who want: good schools, good jobs, good housing for themselves and their families, and the ability to obtain these things without all this 'blacks are the antichrist!' malarkey being tossed about every day

I'm sorry if you are surrounded by an entire scenario of your worst nightmares (to wit: ghetto culture, rims, loud hip-hop ringtones, garish clothing, etc.)...I'm black, and I hate a lot of that stuff too, trust me---but doing what amounts basically to whining 'Ewwwww!!! I can't STAND that stuff!' on a chat forum doesn't do squat to changing your situation...so you're one guy who wouldn't want to live in an all-black neighborhood, then don't! I live in an 80%-white area in my neighborhood in Middletown, and have the BEST neighbors you'd ever want...if I ever move, I'd like to be in a mixed area, because after 54 years on earth , I've achieved a certain comfort level with people of ALL races...

Also, I'm, not here to cry 'racism'---I'm here to call bulls**t...I am NOT one of those folk who run about blaming whites for all of the ills present in black society...I've said this before on C-D, and I'll say it yet again---I and I ALONE am responsible for both being in a negative situation, and getting myself OUT of said situation---not 'whitey' (how 60's is that?)...and 'well deserved reputation' my hind end---you strike me as yet another person who has either been fed a never-ending diet of stereotypes by the media, or has been around the wrong kind of black people for so long that down looks like up to you...

And another thing---I thank almighty God that 'most whites', as you so magnanimously put it, aren't as negative as you when it comes to dealing with black folk, and that YOU don't speak for the entire white race...ask my neighbors who---loaned me their power tools and garden tools when my family first moved in 3 yrs ago---stop and compliment my wife and I about our yard and landscaping---watch our house when we are out of town---stop IN THE MIDDLE OF THE STREET to chat with us as we sit on our porch...yeah, real unpleasant situations there, for sure...

I'm ultimately sorry that you feel like you do...maybe you need to back away from your PC, put down the daily paper, cut off the TV, and instead of spewing bile about what you WOULDN'T do, actually try to interact with us once in a while...after all, we ALL don't drive flashy cars, wear garish clothes, or greet each other in passing in a way that offends your sensibilities...at the end of the day, we, too, are citizens of the United States Of America---NOT the 'United States Of Boy, Do Those Coloreds Get On My Nerves!'
I completely understand your post and agree with most of what you say. But, what stands out to me as quite hypocritic is the fact that you live in a neighborhood that is 80% white. This would work against your arguement, in my opinion. I believe the person you quoted was referring to a community where the majority is black and that was their reason for not choosing to live in such a community. But, as humans (even animals practice this) we tend to go where we know. So, whether it is black, Jewish, Asian, Hispanic, Middle Eastern...there tends to be clusters of the same. It is comfortable to each. That said, if you go to an area where there are clusters of one nationality, you will hear, see, and smell things that may be foreign to you. My daughter just moved to an area where there is a large amount of Middle Eastern folk. Some rudely blast their music so that you can hear it down the street. I tell her to call the city or blast some Eminem. But, seriously, it is just rude, no matter what your color or culture, to not respect others around you.

I have to say that I have seen communities that were once mostly white lower middle class change when the majority became black. And, I agree that not ALL black people are "ghetto, hip-hopping, pants-falling-off", people. But, there are facts that support what that poster is saying too. Unfortunately, a bunch of bad eggs can ruin it for those who are not. This, again, can be true no matter what the color of the skin.

Answer this, why is it that when that happens certain situations follow, such as; school scores become lower, graduation rates drop, crime goes up, properties become less taken care of, and the overall city begins to show signs of decline?

I am glad that you feel comfortable enough to move to a neighborhood where you are the minority, and that you have found wonderful people around you. Some don't get ever get that lucky, even if they are the same race! But, I don't know anyone who would feel comfortable moving to a predominantly black neighborhood. Why is that? I will tell you why I wouldn't-frankly, I would be afraid and I do not wish to have my children live in fear and go to schools that are floundering. Among other things. What is your reason?

Old 07-04-2010, 10:14 PM

9,419 posts, read 11,170,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elliemae20 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
Congrats, you've just won the Random Post of the Week award.
Hahaha. I'd suggest calling 911, but too many people already do so when McDonald's runs out of Happy Meals.

Old 07-04-2010, 10:40 PM

183 posts, read 467,649 times
Quote:
i get so bloody sick and tired of all this 'arms-folded angry-guy' crap i could just hurl...

Sorry for your luck---you can throw out all the statistics, and stereotypes, and angry-guy asides that you want, but that still won't change the fact that most black folk are decent, law-abiding people who want: Good schools, good jobs, good housing for themselves and their families, and the ability to obtain these things without all this 'blacks are the antichrist!' malarkey being tossed about every day

i'm sorry if you are surrounded by an entire scenario of your worst nightmares (to wit: Ghetto culture, rims, loud hip-hop ringtones, garish clothing, etc.)...i'm black, and i hate a lot of that stuff too, trust me---but doing what amounts basically to whining 'ewwwww!!! I can't stand that stuff!' on a chat forum doesn't do squat to changing your situation...so you're one guy who wouldn't want to live in an all-black neighborhood, then don't! I live in an 80%-white area in my neighborhood in middletown, and have the best neighbors you'd ever want...if i ever move, i'd like to be in a mixed area, because after 54 years on earth , i've achieved a certain comfort level with people of all races...

Also, i'm, not here to cry 'racism'---i'm here to call bulls**t...i am not one of those folk who run about blaming whites for all of the ills present in black society...i've said this before on c-d, and i'll say it yet again---i and i alone am responsible for both being in a negative situation, and getting myself out of said situation---not 'whitey' (how 60's is that?)...and 'well deserved reputation' my hind end---you strike me as yet another person who has either been fed a never-ending diet of stereotypes by the media, or has been around the wrong kind of black people for so long that down looks like up to you...

And another thing---i thank almighty god that 'most whites', as you so magnanimously put it, aren't as negative as you when it comes to dealing with black folk, and that you don't speak for the entire white race...ask my neighbors who---loaned me their power tools and garden tools when my family first moved in 3 yrs ago---stop and compliment my wife and i about our yard and landscaping---watch our house when we are out of town---stop in the middle of the street to chat with us as we sit on our porch...yeah, real unpleasant situations there, for sure...

I'm ultimately sorry that you feel like you do...maybe you need to back away from your pc, put down the daily paper, cut off the tv, and instead of spewing bile about what you wouldn't do, actually try to interact with us once in a while...after all, we all don't drive flashy cars, wear garish clothes, or greet each other in passing in a way that offends your sensibilities...at the end of the day, we, too, are citizens of the united states of america---not the 'united states of boy, do those coloreds get on my nerves!'
preach!

Old 07-05-2010, 02:12 PM

449 posts, read 934,632 times
Quote:

This is a typically boring and pointless reply on the subject. I specifically articulated a number of things that many Blacks do that is offensive to most white people and despite your long winded response, the only point you managed is that not all Blacks do the tings I mentioned and that you get along fine with your white neighbors.

Saying "not all of them or us" has to be the most over used cliché in modern times. Of course not all Blacks are annoying and offensive and of course there are many that are fine upstanding individuals. That doesn't change the fact that if one lives in a black neighborhood, they are going to experience a great deal of the annoyances I mentioned. Sure, mixed in with the ultra annoying hip hop kids and all the other morally bankrupt animals are good people as well. Nobody ever said otherwise.

Why don't you put your silly little straw man to bed and ask your self what you can do to help change the negative image that so many Blacks have worked so hard to deserve. After all, based on your own words, you moved to a mostly white neighborhood because you yourself obviously prefer living there and are willing to pay for the privilege. In other words, although you take the opposite view toward what I am saying, your actions indicate that your true beliefs are no different from mine and you just don't want to admit it.

I don't do white guilt. And I don't buy that "painting with a broad brush" or racist views BS. The vast majority, and yes it is the vast majority, don't want to live in predominantly black neighborhoods for the reasons I mentioned and evidently neither do you. Sell that white guilt crap to someone who will buy it.

Old 07-06-2010, 11:06 AM

12 posts, read 49,293 times
Quote:

AMEN! I agree with everything you've said.

Here's another thing that bugs me. How on earth is one individual black person responsible for the behavior of all ghetto blacks? Then, the same people putting forth that argument will claim that they (one individual WHITE person) is not responsible for the behavior of all racist whites. Either both premises are true, or NEITHER is true.

Another thing: if he is wrong for living in an 80% white neighborhood, then whites would be wrong for gentrifying formerly 80-100% black neighborhoods in New York and San Francisco. Either both premises are true, or NEITHER is true.

Of course, the right answer is that NONE of these racist premises are true. All of these arguments are ridiculous. People are people! Live your life, be a good person, work hard, enjoy each day, and take things in stride. There are good and bad in every race, religion, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit