Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2012, 05:39 PM

6 posts, read 8,896 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
The thing I notice is this. The persons who cause the most problems are often the ones who get the most attention. For this reason, the decent civilized persons who happen to live in Detroit, or any ghetto, they get ignored.
That is very true, and to tell you the truth, that fact there pisses me off.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2012, 05:54 AM

5,185 posts, read 7,569,817 times
Quote:
Sounds about right. If affirmative action was working, I , a Black man, would have a job by now. I have a college degree and I don't have a job.

However, committing a crime is still wrong.
Yes it is wrong, but do you know the amount of black single mother who raise their children to be criminals? We have a whole demographic the celebrates crime & awards criminal with praise & respect, well looking down on black men who stay out of trouble. Detriot has a surplus of low quality black, their culture rules.

Old 10-27-2012, 06:02 AM

5,185 posts, read 7,569,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trellbrown23 View Post
I refuse to blend in with savages. I'm tired of being afraid.
well then suffer the outcome & be a victim until you can afford safe & legal security.

Old 10-27-2012, 05:03 PM

73,020 posts, read 62,622,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyiMetro View Post
Yes it is wrong, but do you know the amount of black single mother who raise their children to be criminals? We have a whole demographic the celebrates crime & awards criminal with praise & respect, well looking down on black men who stay out of trouble. Detriot has a surplus of low quality black, their culture rules.
I don't know how many single mothers are raising their children to be criminals, or who simply are failing to raise them properly. There is no statistic for that. That segment of the Black population does exist. However, that is the segment of the Black population that respectable, decent Black people want to get away from. Those who happen to have the money flee far away from that segment of the Black population. Those who don't have the money are often stuck living around that subculture.

There are plenty of decent Black people. Sadly, the criminals and deadbeats scream the loudest.

Old 10-27-2012, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthur Digby Sellers View Post
Keep blaming everyone else for your problems. It's why your community is where it is.
The thing is, you aren't asking WHY some people who behave like that are doing so. You have to ask "why do people sell drugs in the first place"? "Why do people commit murder"? I'm not asking you to excuse the violence and crime. I'm asking you to start asking questions and think about it past the level of "matter of fact".

Old 10-27-2012, 07:23 PM

2,210 posts, read 3,496,634 times
Expecting people not to murder each other is unreasonable? Um, ok...

Old 10-27-2012, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthur Digby Sellers View Post
Expecting people not to murder each other is unreasonable? Um, ok...
I never said it was unreasonable, because it is not unreasonable. I was asking you to ask "why" things like that happen. I wanted you to think about these things.

Old 10-27-2012, 07:45 PM

21,142 posts, read 19,722,567 times
Quote:
I never said it was unreasonable, because it is not unreasonable. I was asking you to ask "why" things like that happen. I wanted you to think about these things.
Maybe you could just tell us.

Old 10-27-2012, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retroit View Post
Maybe you could just tell us.
All I can give are theories of why Black on Black violence occurs. My theory is that this behavior has been encouraged, and later exacerbated by the crack epidemic. In the old days, there are severe consequences if a Black man killed a White man. However, if a Black man killed another Black man, it was treated as if it was "typical Black people". Many criminals learned from process of elimination that the life of a Black person was considered meaningless by many in society, so some criminals felt they could get away with murder, as long as it was other Black people.

Once the drug epidemics hit, violence went up the roof. This coincided with the de-industrialization of this nation. Things got even worse once cocaine started getting shipped in from Colombia via Miami. Miami during the 1980s was one of the most violent cities in the USA. Detroit was up there too.

There is also an issue of nihilism among some African-American men, not the majority of them though. People with nihilism, feeling lack of love, lack of meaning in life, and anger sometimes act violently, or do other destructive things.

I am not saying there are any excuses for people who commit murder. That being said, there are alot of things going into all of this. It isn't as simple as it seems.

Old 10-27-2012, 08:52 PM

21,142 posts, read 19,722,567 times
Those are all valid points, green mariner. One has to ask further why did the crack epidemic hit the black community so hard? Why do blacks devalue the lives of other blacks? Why do African-American males feel nihilistic?

I propose that the answer to these questions is the breakdown of the family and community, and the breakdown in the values that are instilled by the family and community.

And why are the family and community breaking down? Because they are no longer necessary. At one time, people needed strong families/communities for survival. This applied even in the slave quarters of the plantation. But in the past 100 years or so, people have come to the belief that families/communities can be dispensed with and the government can be depended upon to provide the functions of family/community. So if a woman gets pregnant and the father does not want to take responsibility, no problem, the government will help. If food can not be put on the table because no one is willing to work at a menial job, no problem, the government will give food stamps. If neighbors don't look out for each other and call out the criminals, no problem, government will fight crime. If people don't have strong work ethics and if communities don't organize businesses, no problem, government will step in and create jobs and provide services. If parents don't teach their children, no problem, government will provide free schooling. If people don't reject harmful drugs, no problem, the government will declare war on drugs and they will disappear. If people don't value the lives of others in their race, no problem, the government will declare that we all have equal civil rights and it will be so.

In other words, if the government were abolished (or more appropriately, if the liberalism of the government were abolished), people might actually realize "Gee, there is no one left to help me/us, I guess this means we must help each other. And I guess that means we will have to develop interdependencies upon each other, like families and communities."

Unfortunately, a powerful political movement has prospered around the so-called "protection" of the underprivileged. It is best that we ensure that the very things that are keeping them underprivileged are kept in place and reinforced or else that political movement will be powerless.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit