Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diabetes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2010, 07:13 AM

22,974 posts, read 65,513,090 times

Advertisements

courtesy CDC
Quote:

What is diabetes?

Diabetes is a group of diseases marked by high levels of blood glucose
resulting from defects in insulin production, insulin action, or both.
Diabetes can lead to serious complications and premature death, but
people with diabetes can take steps to control the disease and lower the
risk of complications.

Types of diabetes

Type 1 diabetes was previously called insulin-dependent diabetes mellitus
(IDDM) or juvenile-onset diabetes.
Type 1 diabetes develops when the body's immune system destroys
pancreatic beta cells, the only cells in the body that make the hormone insulin that regulates blood glucose.
To survive, people with type 1 diabetes must have insulin delivered by
injection or a pump. This form of diabetes usually strikes children and young adults, although disease onset can occur at any age. In adults, type 1 diabetes accounts for 5% to 10% of all diagnosed cases of diabetes. Risk factors for type 1 diabetes may be autoimmune, genetic, or environmental. There is no known way to prevent type 1 diabetes.
Several clinical trials for preventing type 1 diabetes are currently in
progress or are being planned.

Type 2 diabetes was previously called non–insulin-dependent diabetes
mellitus (NIDDM) or adult-onset diabetes.
In adults, type 2 diabetes accounts for about 90% to 95% of all diagnosed cases of diabetes. It usually begins as insulin resistance, a disorder in which the cells do not use insulin properly. As the need for insulin rises,
the pancreas gradually loses its ability to produce it.
Type 2 diabetes is associated with older age, obesity, family history of diabetes, history of gestational diabetes, impaired glucose metabolism, physical inactivity, and race/ethnicity.
African Americans, Hispanic/Latino Americans, American Indians, and
some Asian Americans and Native Hawaiians or Other Pacific Islanders are
at particularly high risk for type 2 diabetes and its complications.
Type 2 diabetes in children and adolescents, although still rare, is being
diagnosed more frequently among American Indians, African Americans,
Hispanic/Latino Americans, and Asians/Pacific Islanders.

Gestational diabetes is a form of glucose intolerance diagnosed during pregnancy.
Gestational diabetes occurs more frequently among African Americans,
Hispanic/Latino Americans, and American Indians. It is also more common
among obese women and women with a family history of diabetes.
During pregnancy, gestational diabetes requires treatment to normalize
maternal blood glucose levels to avoid complications in the infant. Immediately after pregnancy, 5% to 10% women with gestational
diabetes are found to have diabetes, usually type 2.
Women who have had gestational diabetes have a 40% to 60% chance of
developing diabetes in the next 5–10 years.
Other types of diabetes result from specific genetic conditions (such as
maturity-onset diabetes of youth), surgery, medications, infections,
pancreatic disease, and other illnesses. Such types of diabetes account for
1% to 5% of all diagnosed cases.

================================================== ====

Treating diabetes

Diabetes can lead to serious complications, such as blindness, kidney
damage, cardiovascular disease, and lower-limb amputations, but people
with diabetes can lower the occurrence of these and other diabetes
complications by controlling blood glucose, blood pressure, and blood
lipids.
•
Many people with type 2 diabetes can control their blood glucose by
following a healthy meal plan and exercise program, losing excess weight,
and taking oral medication. Some people with type 2 diabetes may also
need insulin to control their blood glucose.
•
To survive, people with type 1 diabetes must have insulin delivered by
injection or a pump.
•
Among adults with diagnosed diabetes (type 1 or type 2), 14% take
insulin only, 13% take both insulin and oral medication, 57% take
oral medication only, and 16% do not take either insulin or
oral medication.
Medications for each individual with diabetes will often change during the course of the disease.
•
Many people with diabetes also need to take medications to control their
cholesterol and blood pressure.
•
Self-management education or training is a key step in improving health outcomes and quality of life.
It focuses on self-care behaviors, such as healthy eating, being active, and
monitoring blood sugar. It is a collaborative process in which diabetes
educators help people with or at risk for diabetes gain the knowledge and
problem-solving and coping skills needed to successfully self-manage the
disease and its related conditions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2010, 07:47 AM

3,115 posts, read 7,134,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CouponJack View Post
I admit its really tough to watch because there are so many quick and easy places to eat high fat/sodium foods out there....

One of the things I do if I get that urge will be to drink water (w/lemon) w/my meal (instead of sugary sweet tea/soda) or if the urge for a double cheesburger meal happens, I'll just get 1 mcdouble (instead of the whole meal...) Not a great philosophy but it helps.....

Most can lose weight I think pretty easy by just making a few changes to their lifestyle....
I agree w/you for the most part. I think the greatest problem is that people in general are lazy about food. They don't want to take the time to prepare fresh meals for themselves and their families, so they go to convenience "foods" instead. Processed food isn't food, and it doesn't nourish your body; therefore you are hungrier and tend to eat more fake food. When you add that in with a less active lifestyle and being predisposed to gaining weight it makes a huge difference. I'm sure the risk for diabetes increases a ton just from all of the carbs in processed food as well.

You also have people who try to eat right and are moderately active and it still doesn't work - like me. I refused to go on all sorts of hormonal/thyroid meds though b/c I didn't feel that it was any healthier. I just try to eat right, take walks and be as healthy as I can be.

Old 08-17-2010, 08:24 AM

10,007 posts, read 11,158,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coastalgirl View Post
I agree w/you for the most part. I think the greatest problem is that people in general are lazy about food. They don't want to take the time to prepare fresh meals for themselves and their families, so they go to convenience "foods" instead. Processed food isn't food, and it doesn't nourish your body; therefore you are hungrier and tend to eat more fake food. When you add that in with a less active lifestyle and being predisposed to gaining weight it makes a huge difference. I'm sure the risk for diabetes increases a ton just from all of the carbs in processed food as well.

You also have people who try to eat right and are moderately active and it still doesn't work - like me. I refused to go on all sorts of hormonal/thyroid meds though b/c I didn't feel that it was any healthier. I just try to eat right, take walks and be as healthy as I can be.

This has nothing to do with you coastal, but thats another pet peeve of mine. I'm doing all the right things but still can't lose weight. If I just eat "right" I can eat as much as I want. How many times you see someone drink "diet soft drinks" or have 2 helpings of the "properly" cooked food because they think since its good for them they can eat more of it. I don't care what you eat (regarding weight gain or loss) , ITS ALL ABOUT CALORIE intake. If you can't lose weight eating 1800 cals a day..drop it to 1500..you'll lose weight.

I have a friend who for years was 50 - 60 pounds overweight...all I heard was I can't lose weight I have a slow metabolism. Well, she dropped her calorie intake down 500 calls a day a year ago or so and low and behold lost 40 pounds now.

Old 08-17-2010, 08:32 AM

3,115 posts, read 7,134,585 times
I suppose I should have been more specific. Eating right means not only eating whole, fresh foods, but not eating everything in sight. Good for your friend. Some problems aren't just slow metabolism.

Old 08-17-2010, 08:41 AM

3,576 posts, read 10,655,777 times
I actually started a daily calorie count journal as of this past Saturday. I was completely blown yesterday when I had two blueberry pancakes with real maple syrup and coffee, and just that alone pushed me real close to my recommend daily limit. And I actually prefer to not eat in the morning, but the health gurus keep harping on how important it is to eat breakfast. I had oatmeal this AM (not a big fan) and I guess I'll go back to a couple of scrambled egg whites.

Old 08-17-2010, 08:54 AM

Quote:
I suppose I should have been more specific. Eating right means not only eating whole, fresh foods, but not eating everything in sight. Good for your friend. Some problems aren't just slow metabolism.
Agreed. Its not always just eating less. But I am willing to bet in 99 percent of the cases it is./

Old 08-17-2010, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by superk View Post
I actually started a daily calorie count journal as of this past Saturday. I was completely blown yesterday when I had two blueberry pancakes with real maple syrup and coffee, and just that alone pushed me real close to my recommend daily limit. And I actually prefer to not eat in the morning, but the health gurus keep harping on how important it is to eat breakfast. I had oatmeal this AM (not a big fan) and I guess I'll go back to a couple of scrambled egg whites.

What is important is you do whats right for you. If eating breakfast works do it..To me a big breakfast just means that many more extra calories and I just feel tired. I am odd, I have more energy when I haven't eaten. Eating makes me feel sluggish and tired. We are all different. Heh, eating pancakes with syrup just won't work, like putting lead in your stomach.

Old 08-17-2010, 09:04 AM

22,974 posts, read 65,513,090 times
more from CDC
Quote:
Prevention or delay of diabetes
•
Progression to diabetes among those with prediabetes is not inevitable. Studies have shown that people with prediabetes who lose weight and increase their physical activity can prevent or delay diabetes and return their blood glucose levels to normal.
•
The Diabetes Prevention Program, a large prevention study of people at high risk for diabetes, showed that lifestyle intervention reduced developing diabetes by 58% during a 3-year period. The reduction was even greater, 71%, among adults aged 60 years or older.
•
Interventions to prevent or delay type 2 diabetes in individuals with prediabetes can be feasible and cost-effective. Research has found that lifestyle interventions are more cost-effective than medications.

Total: 23.6 million people or 7.8% of the population have diabetes.
Diagnosed: 17.9 million people
Undiagnosed: 5.7 million people
Age 20 years or older: 23.5 million or 10.7% of all people in this age group have diabetes.
Age 60 years or older: 12.2 million or 23.1% of all people in this age group have diabetes.
Men: 12.0 million or 11.2% of all men aged 20 years or older have diabetes.
Women: 11.5 million or 10.2% of all women aged 20 years or older have diabetes.

Old 08-17-2010, 02:13 PM

292 posts, read 671,887 times
I disagree that "ITS ALL ABOUT CALORIE intake." By cutting calories, sure you'll loose weight, but only while you're cutting calories. You'll also probably be malnourished. I think its all about WHERE the calories are coming from. I refuse to believe it is healthier for me to eat some super processed health bar than two fresh eggs.

My s/o follows what is called the "primal diet". It has worked fabulously for him. He has lost a ton of weight and his health problems have almost vanished. I would follow it too, but I have trouble giving up processed grains. :P

Old 08-17-2010, 02:27 PM

9,116 posts, read 17,725,526 times
Quote:

I think that's a great post and it seems like you have a great handle on it....I'm pretty much where I want to be in terms of weight, but I love to eat (especially at night when its the worst for you), so I'm constantly "watching" and try to burn off what I eat so that I don't end up overweight and run into situations where I could be a candidate for diabetes....not easy but you have to truly push yourself if you want to see results
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diabetes