Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diabetes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2009, 02:41 PM

2,834 posts, read 10,769,985 times

Advertisements

I'm very frustrated.....I was daignosed a diabetic in November, mornig sugars about 140 and the rest are all about 90...so nothing severe. I also have HBP...I take 500 mg glucophage 2 times a day and Altace for HBP. BP is good except pulse rate is over usually about 105....

So...I'm sick of meds and not seeing much difference on meds so I decide to loose some weight. I'm eating vegetables and lean meats for lunch and dinner and walking 3 miles a day every day for a week now and my sugar is higher than ever!! 140 before dinner, after having a salad for lunch....

What am I doing wrong??????
Please help me!

Old 05-20-2009, 02:50 PM

2,742 posts, read 7,496,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I LOVE PA! View Post
I'm very frustrated.....I was daignosed a diabetic in November, mornig sugars about 140 and the rest are all about 90...so nothing severe. I also have HBP...I take 500 mg glucophage 2 times a day and Altace for HBP. BP is good except pulse rate is over usually about 105....

So...I'm sick of meds and not seeing much difference on meds so I decide to loose some weight. I'm eating vegetables and lean meats for lunch and dinner and walking 3 miles a day every day for a week now and my sugar is higher than ever!! 140 before dinner, after having a salad for lunch....

Please help me!
Well we dont know, what are you eating, are you putting dressing on the salad?
Are you eating white bread, what type of salad is it?
Are you eating rice, pasta, potato?
Your sugar is hour by hour, so something that you eat a week ago is not going to effect your blood sugar today. something that you eat 1,2, or 3 hours before will have a sugar effect.

Old 05-20-2009, 02:57 PM

2,886 posts, read 8,285,154 times
I would check back with your healthcare practitioner, I have to agree with the other post
there's no way to really know what going on with your glucose levels,you may need adjustments
with the glucophage or maybe something else. also pretty hard to say without knowing what
you consume from hour to hour, and other things can also cause it to fluctuate.
I am glad to hear that you are making a effort to excercise which will be beneficial for you
in the long run.
Hope you get some answers soon

Old 05-20-2009, 03:08 PM

830 posts, read 1,065,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I LOVE PA! View Post

Please help me!
If I had diabetes I would follow this Dr.'s book:

The pH Miracle for Diabetes: The Revolutionary Diet Plan for Type 1 and Type 2 Diabetics (Paperback)
by Robert O. Young (Author), Shelley Redford Young (Author) "My journey toward understanding the cause of-and demonstrating the cure for-Type 1 and Type 2 diabetes

I am following his philosophy to lose weight and prevent diabetes. So far I am doing well. Once you get use to eating healthy and the majority of foods are raw, it's amazing how you lose all the cravings and the feeling of constantly being hungry and can't satisfy yourself. I think eating food that are easy to digest and healthy seem to feed the body better for sure. Plus I have found in my research that "You are not hungry, you are thirsty" is a big part of weight gain and sugar cravings. When I am hungry I now always reach for water first and amazingly it does the trick. As a whole, I am drinking 4 X more water than I did in the past and I've read this will help your diabetes as well. Chromium is also good for diabetes.

Good luck ...

Old 05-20-2009, 04:43 PM

643 posts, read 1,486,461 times
Default Completely Erroneous

[quote=FrozenAngel;8903256]If I had diabetes I would follow this Dr.'s book:
...Shelley Redford Young (Author) "My journey toward understanding the cause of-and demonstrating the cure for-Type 1 and Type 2 diabetes..."

I would not read an author who said they can demonstrate a cure for Type 1 diabetes. Why haven't they won the Nobel yet? Type 1 is currently not curable. The closest anyone has come to it is through islet transplantation and the medical field is not calling that procedure a cure because of the exceptionally high rate of rejection.

They are two very different diseases. It is established medical fact that they do no have the same causes -- so the whole statement is simply and patently dead arse wrong. I've had juvenile-onset, insulin-dependent auto-immune (in other words, T1) diabetes for 40 years and infogarbage like that really gets my goat.

Old 05-20-2009, 05:34 PM

[quote=Sunday1;8904726]
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrozenAngel View Post
If I had diabetes I would follow this Dr.'s book:
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrozenAngel View Post
...Shelley Redford Young (Author) "My journey toward understanding the cause of-and demonstrating the cure for-Type 1 and Type 2 diabetes..."

I would not read an author who said they can demonstrate a cure for Type 1 diabetes. Why haven't they won the Nobel yet? Type 1 is currently not curable. The closest anyone has come to it is through islet transplantation and the medical field is not calling that procedure a cure because of the exceptionally high rate of rejection.

They are two very different diseases. It is established medical fact that they do no have the same causes -- so the whole statement is simply and patently dead arse wrong. I've had juvenile-onset, insulin-dependent auto-immune (in other words, T1) diabetes for 40 years and infogarbage like that really gets my goat.
Not sure if you get the TV station "Veria" but they had segment about a boy with type 1 and they made great progress through natural holistic approached to curing his diabetes. It wasn't until they went on an ocean cruise that they found the miracle cure for their son. The boy swam for hours in the ocean pool they had on the cruise ship. the boy had to have his blood checked every 2 hours. They found that the more he swam, the more his sugar lowered and stabilized.

When they got back home, they were able to mimic the sea baths and eventually the boy no longer needed insulin. Now I am sure that didn't mean the boy could live a junk food life, but he was cured in the sense that he no longer needed insulin. I guess it's a matter of opinion if he was cured or not but I would bet if after 40 years yourself of insulin injection, if you too would no longer have to take insulin, would you say you were cured?

Anyway, what was interesting about the boy who was cured from sea water was that this miracle could be explained through Dr. Young's philosophy in that the salt is very alkaline and diabetes or any disease can not live in an alkaline environment. Unfortunately, the American diet is 90% acid (non alkaline).

You mean to tell me you wouldn't go to the library and read this book just in case it might help you? Get you and your goat to the library!

Old 05-20-2009, 05:40 PM

2,834 posts, read 10,769,985 times
Well....before a week ago I was eating carbs but no sweets in general, and my sugar was OK. Today I had a small bowl of cereal at 8 am, and an all veggie salad with about 1 oz of chicken in it at noon with about 100 calories of a salad dressing. At 4pm my sugar was 140....usually when I eat carbs and more calaries for lunch, my sugar is around 90 at 4pm.

My suage was better when I was just eating 'anything' but sweets. How could it be so high now that I am hardly even eating carbs?

Frozenangel...good for you o your efforts, but once you already have diabetes, (like Sunday said) then obviously taking care of yourself is VERY different.

Old 05-20-2009, 06:47 PM

[quote=FrozenAngel;
When they got back home, they were able to mimic the sea baths and eventually the boy no longer needed insulin. Now I am sure that didn't mean the boy could live a junk food life, but he was cured in the sense that he no longer needed insulin. I guess it's a matter of opinion if he was cured or not but I would bet if after 40 years yourself of insulin injection, if you too would no longer have to take insulin, would you say you were cured?

I'm sure you don't mean any harm but that's just a boatload of cr*p. It never happened. He was never Type 1 -- and diet has nothing to do with "causing" Type 1. In fact, T1s count carbs -- but can eat any food. You don't get T1 from diet or exercise habits. You are confused. There is NO CURE for T1. Yet. And swimming in some sea salts sure as heck didn't do anything to cure a T1. Get a grip my dear.

Last edited by Sunday1; 05-20-2009 at 07:20 PM..

Old 05-20-2009, 06:54 PM

I think one of the many facts you are confused about is the difference between T1 and adolescent T2.

This country now is seeing T2, (which used to be only adult-onset) occuring in record numbers of obese children with sedentary lifestyles and/or a genetic predisposition (none of which are involved with T1). T2 is entirely curable.

It's a difference disease with different treatment(s) and different causes than T1. And FYI, many people who are T2 end up taking insulin instead of oral medications....again....taking insulin doesn't (all by itself) mean the person is a T1.

THEY ARE DIFFERENT DISEASES ALTOGETHER

Old 05-20-2009, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunday1 View Post
[quote=FrozenAngel;

I'm sure you don't mean any harm but that's just a boatload of cr*p. It never happened. He was never Type 1 -- and diet has nothing to do with "causing" Type 1. In fact, T1s count carbs -- but can eat any food. You don't get T1 from diet or exercise habits. You are confused. There is NO CURE for T1. Yet. Any swimming in some sea salts sure as heck didn't do anything to cure a T1. Get a grip my dear.
No dear, I know the difference. The only thing that keeps people on drugs (insulin) is Dr's., drug companies, and a close mind. Good luck, I wish you well and I am not looking to change a closed mind.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.