Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diabetes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2009, 11:57 AM

479 posts, read 1,455,738 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6 FOOT 3 View Post
Well that's why when i post about nutrition possibly healing or helping a disease i always publish a link to an actual clinical research story and not just from any joe schmoe's web site or web cast.

Like this story showing compounds in Fish Oil may help those with Alzheimer's disease as an example.

Anti-Alzheimer's Mechanism In Omega-3 Fatty Acids Found - Science Daily

I really do hope the fish oil helps because Alzheimer's is my one big fear. I'm taking 2, 1000 mg. pills per day for my heart health, so maybe it will work on the brain as well!

The article didn't say how much a person should take so if you run across that info, please share.

Old 05-31-2009, 11:59 AM

830 posts, read 1,064,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ACTS Mom View Post
I LOVE PA... are you still around?!

My husband has Type II diabetes and has been diagnosed for about 10 years. And for those who think you have to be overweight to be diabetic, that's not necessarily true. My husband is of average weight/height.

First, get a referral (if necessary) to an Endocrinologist. My husband was initially treated by our PCP for his Diabetes and it was horribly controlled...eventually found out he was taking one medicine that was actually cancelling out another medicine. Then they were about to put him on insulin and I rebelled (being southern, maybe that was normal!).

I made him an appt. with an endocrinologist who immediately made changes in his meds. It took a couple of adjustments but he has it very well controlled now and has for the past 5 years. And still no insulin.

Eat moderately...and more veggies and fruits. His blood sugar goes up with any "white" food -- potatoes, pasta, bread, sugar, rice. And no matter how hard he works during the day, if he doesn't take that walk, his B/S will show a 10-20 point rise the following morning.

AFter seeing the endocrinologist, it may help to see a dietician who can work with you on meal planning. Also the ADA site has some good information, even recipes.

American Diabetes Association Home Page
My Dad never showed any signs of diabetes till the doctor put him on Steroids and other lung treatments. The doctor admitted that some drugs do induce diabetes. GEZZZZZ, the cure makes you sicker that the illness!

Old 05-31-2009, 12:18 PM

13,134 posts, read 40,616,833 times
Quote:
I really do hope the fish oil helps because Alzheimer's is my one big fear. I'm taking 2, 1000 mg. pills per day for my heart health, so maybe it will work on the brain as well!

The article didn't say how much a person should take so if you run across that info, please share.
It didn't state how much was in the clinical trial but they did say that even a low amount still made a difference in the plaque's which is probably about 1 to 2 grams of fish oil daily. Also most research i've seen for salmon helping in a whole host of diseases is about 2 servings a week or 14 ounces which is just one can of salmon a week I usually have one can a day for myself.

Here's some good info about the omega-3's for you.
WHFoods - Omega-3 fatty acids

Old 05-31-2009, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrozenAngel View Post
My Dad never showed any signs of diabetes till the doctor put him on Steroids and other lung treatments. The doctor admitted that some drugs do induce diabetes. GEZZZZZ, the cure makes you sicker that the illness!
Hmmm...so then you have to take other meds to help manage the 2nd ailment! I hope he doesn't have 3 or 4 doctors that aren't paying attention to everything!

Old 05-31-2009, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Hmmm...so then you have to take other meds to help manage the 2nd ailment! I hope he doesn't have 3 or 4 doctors that aren't paying attention to everything!
Ya they weren't paying attention alright. 12 drugs and 29 days later he died (or some might say, they killed him). My Dad walked into the hospital clinic for a chest cold (we was a singer and had 3 gigs lined up that he was worried he'd miss) they wanted to admit him so he said OK but he wanted to go back home to get some reading material, clothes etc. He drove himself back to the hospital, walked in and never walked out! Yes, those are all the emotions I have about what happened to my Dad ....

Old 05-31-2009, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Ya they weren't paying attention alright. 12 drugs and 29 days later he died (or some might say, they killed him). My Dad walked into the hospital clinic for a chest cold (we was a singer and had 3 gigs lined up that he was worried he'd miss) they wanted to admit him so he said OK but he wanted to go back home to get some reading material, clothes etc. He drove himself back to the hospital, walked in and never walked out! Yes, those are all the emotions I have about what happened to my Dad ....
I'm so sorry for your loss. And I don't doubt all those emotions for a minute. I still miss my dad and it's been 14 years.

Old 05-31-2009, 06:45 PM

2,742 posts, read 7,493,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6 FOOT 3 View Post
LOL, looks like you just brought on the wrath to yourself of the poster's Cjma and Bluedevilz with this post as i love to sit back and watch them all fight with each other
No, I am tired, if this were to be true, the would be winning a noble price.
but for some reason he hasn't.

Old 05-31-2009, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjma79 View Post
No, I am tired, if this were to be true, the would be winning a noble price.
but for some reason he hasn't.
Only because of all you "non believers". I know if I or my child had type 1 diabetes, I sure would follow his instructions. Let's see, do I want to be on drugs my whole life or would I rather live on an alkaline diet for that rest of my life. Yup, that's a tough one.

Old 05-31-2009, 11:09 PM

2,742 posts, read 7,493,115 times
Quote:
Only because of all you "non believers". I know if I or my child had type 1 diabetes, I sure would follow his instructions. Let's see, do I want to be on drugs my whole life or would I rather live on an alkaline diet for that rest of my life. Yup, that's a tough one.
is funny no one has been cured from diabetes type 1 in history.

Old 06-01-2009, 12:31 PM

643 posts, read 1,485,453 times
Quote:
Ummm, NO....There is no such choice. Doesn't exist. Patently ABSURD. Such ignorance and nonsense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diabetes