Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diabetes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2010, 09:12 AM

3,115 posts, read 7,136,021 times

Advertisements

I have several friends who have had success w/Body for Life as well, but LAMF's case is different. he/she (sorry, don't know which one) already has diabetes, and found an extremely low carb diet that works for his/her body.

Body for Life reminds me of a lower carb weight watchers. It contains lots of processed foods and fake foods such as low-fat waffles, low fat dressings, sugar substitutes, fat free cheeses and egg substitutes. I'm not sure how much a diet like that would help w/diabetes, other than just the weight loss factor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2010, 10:23 AM

330 posts, read 1,036,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coastalgirl View Post
I've read this as well about cholesterol. It's another drug company scare tactic. I would definitely worry about a lack of vitamins though when limiting fruits and veggies so much. You get a good amount of vitamins A and C from the collards, but if you didn't have them you'd be seriously low. There's not a lot of potassium in any of those either, and potassium is extremely important in keeping your body balanced. Avocado is a fantastic source of potassium as are peanuts and some tree nuts.

I imagine you eat eggs as well - or at least I would hope you do. I've been told that if you eat an egg with an orange (or some other source of high vitamin C) you have eaten a perfectly balanced meal.

When you were fashioning your diet (before going hardcore), did you try eating a protein every time you ate a carb? That's what I do and it seems to make a huge difference. Sometimes it's hard to figure out how to combine things, but if I can't figure it out then I don't eat, and it has saved me from snacking!
How did I leave out eggs! I eat tons of eggs ... probably about 12 a week. As for vitamins ... the need for C diminishes if you restrict carbs in your diet. I get D the old fashioned way - by going outside for at least a half an hour in the midday sun daily. I do eat a limited amount of cheese, which is good for K I believe. Most of my other vitamins I can get from offal, which I consume at least once a week.

I have heard about food combinations, but since I am feeling so good and have such good numbers with my current way of eating, I haven't looked into them too much.

Old 08-18-2010, 11:20 AM

79 posts, read 233,436 times
There are many good post on this thread... lots of reasons for the obese problem that has taken over our country and others. I will start by saying I am almost 60 and most likely older than some the ones who have posted. When I was in grammar school there may have been one person out of a whole class who was considered FAT. Usually from a family who basically were all Fat, probably due to a very bad diet. Recently I saw an article that stated over 50% of our country is now consider over weight. There are many reasons over the last 50 years this has happened.

1. Fast Foods
2. Lack of movement (exercise)
3. Schools discontinuing physical education classes... the one I really do not understand
4. Being brain washed into believing you have to eat 3 meals every day?
5. Lazy
6. School lunches (pizza/junk food)

Somewhere one of these or more is the reason and I will not argue you can post several more reasons.

I go to the post office every day to pick up my business mail and the very front row of parking ALWAYS full and people will ride around until a spot opens at the front. I park in the last row mainly to protect my car doors when I was younger(became a habit) from all the fat people trying to get out of their cars as they ALL park at the front door. A habit that I think also helps me to a little extra exercise. When I have to go anywhere to visit in a building with an elevator I will walk the stairs for anything under the tenth floor. Over the last 35 years we have traveled to many different countries for business and pleasure and until recently the US was by far the most obese from all the places we visited. Today most countries now have our US fast food restaurants and they blame this for the problem that is just not starting for which we have already discovered. I know many people have complications which are out of their control but many have helped themselves to this obese situation. No one got this way overnight and with a little self control most can slowly change their weight by eating better and less and start to exercise even just a small amount at first. Unfortunately the majority will do nothing and the rest will blame it on something else?

Your health is YOUR responsibility and you are the only one that can change it.

Old 08-18-2010, 02:42 PM

352 posts, read 518,670 times
My wife found out about 2 months ago that she was borderline type 2, talk about a wake up call.

She's 32 and I'm 31, and both overweight. We've since changed our diet and are now going to the gym, we are both down 20lbs. More work to go, but we are getting there.

Old 08-19-2010, 03:48 PM

Location: Some got six month some got one solid. But me and my buddies all got lifetime here
4,555 posts, read 10,408,717 times

Before anyone jumps on me I had a friend pass away due to complications from obesity and diabetes earlier this year. I've just been waiting to use this picture.

Old 08-19-2010, 09:09 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,729,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianH1970 View Post

Before anyone jumps on me I had a friend pass away due to complications from obesity and diabetes earlier this year. I've just been waiting to use this picture.
hahahahaha - funny, but sad too. Sounds like many of us here need to be concerned about diabetes "beating" us.

Old 08-20-2010, 07:08 AM

10,007 posts, read 11,161,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CouponJack View Post
I was shocked to learn the approx # of people in our county that have diabetes. Two things I take out of this....

1. If you do currently have it, there are services out there that can help.

2. For those of you overweight middle aged people (or even younger people), this is a wake-up call to start eating less fried foods and start exercising and lose some weight. (roughly 80% of people w/ type 2 diabetes are overweight)

The Enquirer Journal - 40 000 in county may have diabetes (http://enquirerjournal.com/view/full_story/9149121/article-40-000-in-county-may-have-diabetes?instance=homeleftmain1 - broken link)

Lost 8 pounds this week! Screw it...I've had enough of huffing up the stairs barely able to breathe, feeling the blood pump through my veins like I'm gonna pop. I can't speak for anyone else but for me, being fat is about being LAZY...no more. I'll always be overweight(I LOVE food.) at least according to the moronic charts doctors like to throw at us. Hey doc, ever heard of muscle ? Hey, yea like I can be 180 pounds...comical. But the thought of getting ill at 50 because my lazy ass won't do anything to help myself is unacceptable. Seven more pounds to go and I'll be done "SHEDDING" Thats the easy part. The hard part is staying there. . The key is MODERATION folks..not diets.. All I am doing is having less of everything. Instead of 6 cookies , have 3. Instead of 2 hamburgers, one. Be aware of how much you are eating at EVERY meal...and drink water.....and EXERCISE.... Enjoy your life.. but you are your own keeper.

Old 08-20-2010, 09:15 AM

45,217 posts, read 100,729,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jp03 View Post
Lost 8 pounds this week! Screw it...I've had enough of huffing up the stairs barely able to breathe, feeling the blood pump through my veins like I'm gonna pop. I can't speak for anyone else but for me, being fat is about being LAZY...no more. I'll always be overweight(I LOVE food.) at least according to the moronic charts doctors like to throw at us. Hey doc, ever heard of muscle ? Hey, yea like I can be 180 pounds...comical. But the thought of getting ill at 50 because my lazy ass won't do anything to help myself is unacceptable. Seven more pounds to go and I'll be done "SHEDDING" Thats the easy part. The hard part is staying there. . The key is MODERATION folks..not diets.. All I am doing is having less of everything. Instead of 6 cookies , have 3. Instead of 2 hamburgers, one. Be aware of how much you are eating at EVERY meal...and drink water.....and EXERCISE.... Enjoy your life.. but you are your own keeper.

Plus losing weight helps you tolerate the summer heat better

Great job on the 8 pounds!

Old 08-20-2010, 09:42 AM

3,115 posts, read 7,136,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Plus losing weight helps you tolerate the summer heat better

Great job on the 8 pounds!
I don't know how you can't help but lose weight in the summer. I've lost 10lbs this summer not even trying. It's too hot to eat!

Old 08-20-2010, 10:16 AM

10,007 posts, read 11,161,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coastalgirl View Post
I don't know how you can't help but lose weight in the summer. I've lost 10lbs this summer not even trying. It's too hot to eat!
AHaha..not me I work from home so I don't think I've been outside in a month kidding of course, but minimal outside time is essential to my sanity in summer down here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diabetes