Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diabetes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2015, 04:51 PM

273 posts, read 211,244 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LafilleenNoire View Post
I did it successfully for about 3 yrs.

I 5'5 and was 217 lbs with a 42 inch waist at the time of my diagnosis. I eventually dropped to 165 lbs at my lowest with a size 30 waist and went from a pants size 16 to 6ish-8.

I did it all through diet excersize and most importantly changing mentally. I did walking excersize for a total of about 1- 2 hrs a day and basic strenghth training (10 reps on each muscle 3-5 times) and dancing (just moving to upbeat music). 6 days a week for 2 months. After 2 months I dropped 19 lbs. Then decided to see if I could run and 1 mile later I was still running. In 4 months I had dropped a total of 37 Lbs. and had by then started adding more complex excersizes. I did pretty good and lost an aditional 15 2 months later. For a total of 50 lbs.

With excersize I combined good eating habits. I was unable to see my educator for the first months so I had to take matter into my own hand. After one horrible veggie and chicken meal I realized I would failbif that is all I could eat for the rest of my life. So I went to B&N to look for books on diabetes. Bought Diabetes for Dummies and The Best Life Diet book for diabetes. Honestly one of the best investment I ever made. I learned a lot about the disease. The BLD book had this chart on carb control, basically how many carb to eat per meals and just those charts alone are worth the book. I learned a lot.

Most importantly however, was learning to make healthy versions of what I like and make smart food decisions. At my best my a1c was 5.6. I also made sure I slept 6-8 hrs and was very routined.

Unfortunately my routine got done in by a new job with a crazy long commute 7 days a week and a part time job 3 days every other week. I was exhausted and food was the first thing I gave up. Then excersize time took a hit as well as sleep. After that I was finished and before I knew it every lbs had came back. As did my a1c which was intially 8.2. Now I am hovering at 7.7. I have been working on getting back on track lost 9 lbs. Knowing that work will always be part of my life I am learning to better manage my time.
It's all about repentance - good for you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2015, 12:30 AM

3,532 posts, read 6,423,489 times
Here's an update. I am now jogging 4 miles, yes 4 miles about 5 to 6 days a week. I am feeling fantastic, and I thank God that I am maintaining my weight. However, I am trying to burn off the little fat that's stubbornly holding on to my midsection. In my clothes you can't tell but, trust me it's there .

I will update you all about my labs results that are due in a few weeks.

Old 06-26-2015, 05:50 AM

404 posts, read 480,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LafilleenNoire View Post
I did it successfully for about 3 yrs.

I 5'5 and was 217 lbs with a 42 inch waist at the time of my diagnosis. I eventually dropped to 165 lbs at my lowest with a size 30 waist and went from a pants size 16 to 6ish-8.

I did it all through diet excersize and most importantly changing mentally. I did walking excersize for a total of about 1- 2 hrs a day and basic strenghth training (10 reps on each muscle 3-5 times) and dancing (just moving to upbeat music). 6 days a week for 2 months. After 2 months I dropped 19 lbs. Then decided to see if I could run and 1 mile later I was still running. In 4 months I had dropped a total of 37 Lbs. and had by then started adding more complex excersizes. I did pretty good and lost an aditional 15 2 months later. For a total of 50 lbs.

With excersize I combined good eating habits. I was unable to see my educator for the first months so I had to take matter into my own hand. After one horrible veggie and chicken meal I realized I would failbif that is all I could eat for the rest of my life. So I went to B&N to look for books on diabetes. Bought Diabetes for Dummies and The Best Life Diet book for diabetes. Honestly one of the best investment I ever made. I learned a lot about the disease. The BLD book had this chart on carb control, basically how many carb to eat per meals and just those charts alone are worth the book. I learned a lot.

Most importantly however, was learning to make healthy versions of what I like and make smart food decisions. At my best my a1c was 5.6. I also made sure I slept 6-8 hrs and was very routined.

Unfortunately my routine got done in by a new job with a crazy long commute 7 days a week and a part time job 3 days every other week. I was exhausted and food was the first thing I gave up. Then excersize time took a hit as well as sleep. After that I was finished and before I knew it every lbs had came back. As did my a1c which was intially 8.2. Now I am hovering at 7.7. I have been working on getting back on track lost 9 lbs. Knowing that work will always be part of my life I am learning to better manage my time.
I find that for me, it's pretty much the opposite. My work schedule keeps me on my routine, it's weekends or when I'm on vacation that I have a bad day or week.

Old 06-26-2015, 05:51 AM

404 posts, read 480,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by antredd View Post
Here's an update. I am now jogging 4 miles, yes 4 miles about 5 to 6 days a week. I am feeling fantastic, and I thank God that I am maintaining my weight. However, I am trying to burn off the little fat that's stubbornly holding on to my midsection. In my clothes you can't tell but, trust me it's there .

I will update you all about my labs results that are due in a few weeks.
Great news, keep up the good work.

Old 07-19-2015, 06:55 PM

1 posts, read 1,171 times
A great story! I have taken a leave out of your book!

Old 07-21-2015, 04:27 PM

12,115 posts, read 33,679,941 times
Default Mine too, at least for now

I also have a melanoma. in May the cancer spread to the brain when i was driving my car and i was told i had a seizure. luckily i only had a fender bender with damage only to my car and no injuries to anyone. i had a craniotomy(surgery) and the mass on the brain was removed. I was dcd from the hospital in June and went back to work last week. right now i have boundless energy.

for some reason this past winter my appetite turned poor and i lost some weight. my nutritionist told me it was due to the cancer treatment being toxic while some less charitable people told me it was just from having cancer. at that time my a1c was hovering around 6.2. however my most recent a1c for this past weekends test of 7/18 was 5.1. i weigh 197 (I weighed 256 in 10/2012). when i was first admitted for surgery in May i weighed 183 then gained in the hospital

currently i notice im more hungry than usual. any ideas why my a1c is totally normal now? i no longer need metformin or victoza or even test strips, lancets

any opinions?

Old 11-20-2015, 04:09 PM

350 posts, read 415,888 times
antredd:

Many congratulations. You've done it and kept it going for 5 years. Well done!!

Old 03-24-2016, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by echo99 View Post
antredd:

Many congratulations. You've done it and kept it going for 5 years. Well done!!
Thanks you Echo99. I just updated my profile pix to inspire those finding it hard to stay in shape. I'm hovering around 179. My belly fat is very very slowly burning off. Any Fitbit or MapmyRun app users are welcome to join my friends list. Antredd is my screen name on those apps as well.

Old 03-27-2016, 03:52 PM

102,203 posts, read 107,859,557 times
Congratulations, OP! Building lean muscle mass re-sensitizes the body to insulin, thereby decreasing insulin resistance, so that's part of the picture as to why your diabetes reversed. Diet, of course, is very key. Very impressive! Keep up the good work.

Old 06-25-2016, 07:30 PM

Hey everyone. I just posted a recent profile pic to let you all know as an update that my diabetes is still well under control. I'm still keeping my weight off and my A1c is 6.4.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diabetes