Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diabetes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2013, 05:47 PM

22,632 posts, read 14,937,370 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Park View Post
I had my gastric bypass "Roux-en-Y" procedure on Dec. 20th, 2010.

As of Wednesday, two days ago, this is the news:
According to my endocrinologist, the director of the University of Pennsylvania (Rodebaugh) Diabetes Center, my type-2 diabetes is now officially in "remission." I am now off all diabetes medications.

I do not consider myself "cured" of diabetes and I will test my blood sugars using a glucometer once or twice a day; I will also continue to watch my intake of carbohydrates. As long as I keep my weight off I think I will be fine. My morning "numbers" have been running between 75 and 95, which is a wee bit on the low side. The difference between "remission" and "cured" is that I recognize that if I eat my way back into obesity my diabetes can and will return.
Quote:
Even after losing something like 65 pounds and going from a size 40 waist down to a size 34 waist, much to my chagrin I still have a little belly fat. I have discovered a gastric bypass procedure may make you lose weight but is does not give you instant "6 - Pack Abs" !!!!!

More importantly, my diabetes is officially in "remission" and I am off all - and I mean ALL - diabetes meds. Still check my blood sugars with a glucometer one or two times a day, though.
Update:

There is good news and bad news; but mostly good news.

My diabetes is still in remission. My most recent A1c - just learned this a few days ago - was 6.4. In a couple of months it will be 2 full years I have been off ALL diabetes medications. Mind you, I used to take Metformin, Glyburide, and not one - but two - types of insulin: Lantus Solostar and Humalin (?).

My morning fasting numbers are typically 105 - 125, the rest of the day 78 - 95.

I feel great. I'm almost 59 years old. Last year I went to my 40 year High School reunion and I can honestly say I was in better shape than 75% of my classmates. A couple of the guys were buff and in better shape than me though.

The bad news: a little extra weight has been creeping back. Between Sept. 2011 and Sept. 2012 I managed to put 10 pounds back on. Between Sept. 2012 and January 2013 I somehow put on an addition 4 or 5 pounds. I see myself falling back into some bad habits, like late night snacking. I can't seem to give up diet sodas - but I'm beginning to realize even Diet soda is not good for you (makes you crave sweets, according to my doctor). 8 months ago I joined a gym, and initially I was going 2 - 3 times a week. Since New Years day I have going 4 - 5 days a week.

I wear 34 inch waist trousers, and I still fit into the new "skinny" clothes I bought last year. If I can stay at 160 I can live with that ... don't have to be 145 or 150 like when I was 16.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2013, 09:16 AM

17,353 posts, read 16,498,076 times
Quote:
Update:

There is good news and bad news; but mostly good news.

My diabetes is still in remission. My most recent A1c - just learned this a few days ago - was 6.4. In a couple of months it will be 2 full years I have been off ALL diabetes medications. Mind you, I used to take Metformin, Glyburide, and not one - but two - types of insulin: Lantus Solostar and Humalin (?).

My morning fasting numbers are typically 105 - 125, the rest of the day 78 - 95.

I feel great. I'm almost 59 years old. Last year I went to my 40 year High School reunion and I can honestly say I was in better shape than 75% of my classmates. A couple of the guys were buff and in better shape than me though.

The bad news: a little extra weight has been creeping back. Between Sept. 2011 and Sept. 2012 I managed to put 10 pounds back on. Between Sept. 2012 and January 2013 I somehow put on an addition 4 or 5 pounds. I see myself falling back into some bad habits, like late night snacking. I can't seem to give up diet sodas - but I'm beginning to realize even Diet soda is not good for you (makes you crave sweets, according to my doctor). 8 months ago I joined a gym, and initially I was going 2 - 3 times a week. Since New Years day I have going 4 - 5 days a week.

I wear 34 inch waist trousers, and I still fit into the new "skinny" clothes I bought last year. If I can stay at 160 I can live with that ... don't have to be 145 or 150 like when I was 16.
Your story is very inspiring. It's wonderful that you were able to reverse your disease through diet/exercise and have been able to go completely off the meds.

I'm a little more than a decade younger than you and I've been really focusing in the past few years on getting more fit. When I'm not careful to watch my diet (especially carbs) and the amount of exercise I'm getting, the weight really seems to come on quickly. I'm sure that if I didn't keep things in check, I would develop diabetes at some point.

Like you, I find that old bad habits are tough to break. But I have to break them if I don't want to get sick...

Hang in there, it sounds as though your New Year is off to a good start.

Old 09-12-2014, 07:39 PM

3,532 posts, read 6,422,283 times
Here's another update. My diabetes is still under control. I am keeping it reversed by working out 6 days a week and really watching my caloric intake as well as what I am eating.

Old 09-14-2014, 06:34 PM

5,624 posts, read 6,841,543 times
Your diabetes isnt cured or reversed..... You still HAVE D, its just under control.

Old 09-14-2014, 11:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohky0815 View Post
Your diabetes isnt cured or reversed..... You still HAVE D, its just under control.
Right, and my doctor says that mine is WELL CONTROLLED AND REVERSED by their standards. In other words, my A1C is back in the safe/healthy range of a person who was never diagnosed with the disease if that clarifies my last post.

Old 09-15-2014, 05:32 AM

295 posts, read 832,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by antredd View Post
Right, and my doctor says that mine is WELL CONTROLLED AND REVERSED by their standards. In other words, my A1C is back in the safe/healthy range of a person who was never diagnosed with the disease if that clarifies my last post.
But if you stop eating healthy, exercising and watching calories your Diabetes will be back. If it were truly "reversed" you could go back to the old ways and be fine. That's why we say there is no 'cure' or 'reversal', just good control.

Old 09-15-2014, 11:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trivettes View Post
But if you stop eating healthy, exercising and watching calories your Diabetes will be back. If it were truly "reversed" you could go back to the old ways and be fine. That's why we say there is no 'cure' or 'reversal', just good control.
This is what a doctor from WebMD says: The term 'reversal' is used when people can go off medication but still must engage in a lifestyle program in order to stay off," says Ann Albright, PhD, RD, director of diabetes translation at the CDC.

I fit into that category as my doctor told me. My diabetes is fully reversed as long as I do what most people who never had diabetes do, by exercising, eating healthy, and watching body weight. I never said I was cured, and had been well informed by my doctor that once a person is diagnosed, you are always considered a diabetic, but again it can be controlled and reversed if you are willing to do what I am doing. But get this, even with keeping it well controlled, all I have to do is eat the wrong thing, and my pancreas could go crazy and spike my blood sugar. Now that's what I don't like about having diabetes. Even though it can be controlled and reversed, it's still there as well. I'm not cured, but I am keeping my A1C levels within normal range by doing what most of us should be doing in the first place.

Old 09-16-2014, 01:17 AM

5,624 posts, read 6,841,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by antredd View Post
This is what a doctor from WebMD says: The term 'reversal' is used when people can go off medication but still must engage in a lifestyle program in order to stay off," says Ann Albright, PhD, RD, director of diabetes translation at the CDC.

I fit into that category as my doctor told me. My diabetes is fully reversed as long as I do what most people who never had diabetes do, by exercising, eating healthy, and watching body weight. I never said I was cured, and had been well informed by my doctor that once a person is diagnosed, you are always considered a diabetic, but again it can be controlled and reversed if you are willing to do what I am doing. But get this, even with keeping it well controlled, all I have to do is eat the wrong thing, and my pancreas could go crazy and spike my blood sugar. Now that's what I don't like about having diabetes. Even though it can be controlled and reversed, it's still there as well. I'm not cured, but I am keeping my A1C levels within normal range by doing what most of us should be doing in the first place.
You said your A1C is 6.4, but also claim its normal. A truly normal, non D A1C is in the 4-5% range. Youre not normal.

Old 09-16-2014, 08:33 AM

17,533 posts, read 39,113,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohky0815 View Post
You said your A1C is 6.4, but also claim its normal. A truly normal, non D A1C is in the 4-5% range. Youre not normal.
I'm sorry, but "normal" is different for everyone (we're human beings not machines!). Some people can run high numbers for years with no problems, and others can have low (even "normal") a1c's and have neuropathy. It is more than high blood sugar in itself that causes issues. In fact, research has shown that high INSULIN is far worse than high glucose.

My a1c is higher than OP, yet my doctor agrees with me that I am otherwise in excellent health, far better than most people my age and since the meds make me sick he is fine with me managing it on my own, like the OP, as long as it stays within a certain range.

And I do agree with OP's definition of "reversal." Fact is, NO ONE should be eating tons of crap and not exercising anyway. This is why so many more people have diabetes and other diseases today, anyway - too much bad processed food and too little activity. Like OP, I have cleaned up my diet and work out consistently with strength training and aerobic activity (daily) and my health has improved 1000%. I feel better today than I did when I was half my age! And both my doctors have said what great shape I am and that my age would be difficult to guess.

Old 09-16-2014, 08:41 AM

11,495 posts, read 26,863,876 times
I have a neighbor who has cured herself of diabetes twice through weight loss and exercise.

If she were really cured, it wouldn't have come back a second time. Now she thinks she's cured again, which means she doesn't feel like she needs to continue the lifestyle changes that kept her diabetes under control.

I think that's the danger in thinking your diabetes has been reversed rather than thinking that you have it controlled with diet and exercise.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diabetes