Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diabetes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2010, 08:23 PM

3,532 posts, read 6,421,781 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck_steak View Post
Ice cream is a big no-no. Look at your bread, pasta, rice consumption too. Those increase sugar levels. Great that you don't drink sodas, those are so bad. Tea and water are best for the body.
Now that I exercise pretty regularly, I don't want to discourage anyone and tell them that once you become a diabetic, that you can't eat, IN MODERATION, foods that you love. I eat what I want, but I eat them in moderation, and my A1c is still under control. I am maintaining my weight. I am am still wearing my size 32 pants, and have gained some muscle weight, while losing body fat which is the key in keeping diabetes reversed and under control. However, I do stay away from bleached flour, white bread, and rice. I still eat pasta about once every two months, and sweets in moderation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2010, 12:11 PM

1,075 posts, read 4,309,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgia1113 View Post
I read a book about reversing diabetes (I am Type 2) and the bottom line is no meat and no dairy. I tried it for three weeks and was surprised at how easy it was. I ate plenty of food and the weight dropped off without exercise. I am not on it totally now, I added some meat because I was worried about protein (I know, some vegs have protein). I eat oatmeal every day at some point during the day because I love it and it's very satisfying. If I want something sweet at night, I will sometimes have oatmeal. I made a sugar-free apple pie with Splenda, and it was very good. Also, my grocery bill was much less not buying meat and dairy. I do not by cheese at all, except Parmesan.
A suggestion for a healthier alternative than Splenda, is organic raw blue agave syrup. It's a natural nectar made from of the Blue Agave plant. Agave has a Low Glycemic Index (GI), so it is slowly absorbed into the body, preventing spikes in blood sugar.

Beneficial for people with type II diabetes or anyone watching their sugar intake, because of it's low glycemic index.

And! it's tastes good! like a honey almost but more of a sugar-water flavour .. works great in baking, but also more expensive. but worth it if it means you can eat it.

Learn About Raw Blue Agave Nectar and Benefits of Cooking with Both Light and Dark Syrup

Organic Raw Blue Agave-Wholesome Sweeteners

All About Agave - What is Agave Nectar?

http://www.healthnvitality.com/super...ave-nectar.htm

Old 12-18-2010, 07:36 PM

22,632 posts, read 14,936,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geofra View Post
I don't believe you can reverse diabetes, only the symptoms. At least that's what my doctor tells me. He's pretty confident that if I gained the 60 pounds that I've lost since January back, I would get my type 2 symptoms back.

Plus, believing that I am a diabetic and always will be, I live a healthier life. It's a psych out.
I agree with you that diabetes cannot be "cured" completely or "reversed" ... but it can go into remission. Individuals who are overweight and go through bariatric surgery - particularly the gastric bypass procedure have a 90% chance of their diabetes going into remission. These people were on Metformin, Glyburide, Actos, Diabetta and other various drugs as well as insulin, both fast acting or 24 hour type like Lantus ... and are off these medications ... However ... if they do not maintain their weight loss they are at risk of the diabetes coming back.

Old 02-06-2011, 06:03 PM

240 posts, read 586,149 times
Default diabetes reversal

Quote:
Originally Posted by geofra View Post
I don't believe you can reverse diabetes, only the symptoms. At least that's what my doctor tells me. He's pretty confident that if I gained the 60 pounds that I've lost since January back, I would get my type 2 symptoms back.

Plus, believing that I am a diabetic and always will be, I live a healthier life. It's a psych out.
Diabetes reversal is sort of a mismomer. You have reversed yours. Instead of the symtoms getting worse they have improved by your weight loss. You definitely would get worse again (reverse in the wrong direction) if you put your weight back on. I would have been on insulin shots now if I still weighed260 instead of the 180 I weigh now. My mother was on insulin for a long time.
As far as I'm concerned you are right. Once a diabetic always a diabetic. I know one guy who didn't believe that and wound up with only one leg. Keep up the good work.

Old 02-07-2011, 01:32 PM

30,894 posts, read 36,941,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgia1113 View Post
I read a book about reversing diabetes (I am Type 2) and the bottom line is no meat and no dairy. I tried it for three weeks and was surprised at how easy it was. I ate plenty of food and the weight dropped off without exercise. I am not on it totally now, I added some meat because I was worried about protein (I know, some vegs have protein). I eat oatmeal every day at some point during the day because I love it and it's very satisfying. If I want something sweet at night, I will sometimes have oatmeal. I made a sugar-free apple pie with Splenda, and it was very good. Also, my grocery bill was much less not buying meat and dairy. I do not by cheese at all, except Parmesan.
If you are worried about protein, you can eat beans. Black beans, white beans, lentils, etc...all have lots of protein.

Old 02-07-2011, 07:31 PM

13,815 posts, read 29,383,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by antredd View Post
Now that I exercise pretty regularly, I don't want to discourage anyone and tell them that once you become a diabetic, that you can't eat, IN MODERATION, foods that you love. I eat what I want, but I eat them in moderation, and my A1c is still under control. I am maintaining my weight. I am am still wearing my size 32 pants, and have gained some muscle weight, while losing body fat which is the key in keeping diabetes reversed and under control. However, I do stay away from bleached flour, white bread, and rice. I still eat pasta about once every two months, and sweets in moderation.
You can still enjoy pasta as a type 2 if you use Dreamfield pasta. I learned about it in a diabetes class and it's the only pasta I use now. I also advocate it to everyone I know, even if they aren't diabetic. Just makes sense to avoid the carbs when you can and this stuff tastes and looks like regular pasta. I have yet to have anyone tell me they had a bad experience with it and everyone I've told about it still uses it. It's a little more expensive, but well worth the obvious benefits.

Dreamfields Pasta Tastes Great, Low Carb Pasta, Diabetic Pasta, Healthy Pasta Recipes

Old 02-08-2011, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rd2007 View Post
You can still enjoy pasta as a type 2 if you use Dreamfield pasta. I learned about it in a diabetes class and it's the only pasta I use now. I also advocate it to everyone I know, even if they aren't diabetic. Just makes sense to avoid the carbs when you can and this stuff tastes and looks like regular pasta. I have yet to have anyone tell me they had a bad experience with it and everyone I've told about it still uses it. It's a little more expensive, but well worth the obvious benefits.

Dreamfields Pasta Tastes Great, Low Carb Pasta, Diabetic Pasta, Healthy Pasta Recipes
Thanks for the info. I never gave up pasta entirely, I just eat it about once in a blue moon. I just had my latest results from my lipid panel as of January 29, 2011. My numbers are excellent.

CHOLESTEROL 144 <200 mg/dL
TRIGLYCERIDE 94 <150 mg/dL
HDL 53 >/=40 mg/dL
LDL CALCULATED 72 <100 mg/dL
CHOLESTEROL/HIGH DENSITY LIPOPROTEIN 2.7 <5.0

This was my lipid panel back on April 29, 2007.

CHOLESTEROL 203 <200 mg/dL
TRIGLYCERIDE 183 <150 mg/dL
HDL 49 >/=40 mg/dL
LDL CALCULATED 117 <100 mg/dL
CHOLESTEROL/HIGH DENSITY LIPOPROTEIN 4.1 <5.0

My recent A1C

Name Standard range 5/19/2009 8/18/2009 1/30/2010 10/9/2010 1/29/2011
HGBA1C 13.4 6.5 6.1 6.2 6.4

My latest numbers are the result of eating healthier, and exercising at least 3 times a week. I also take fish oil, garlic pills, and multi-vitamins daily.

Old 02-10-2011, 03:48 PM

106 posts, read 287,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stone-ground View Post
A suggestion for a healthier alternative than Splenda, is organic raw blue agave syrup. It's a natural nectar made from of the Blue Agave plant. Agave has a Low Glycemic Index (GI), so it is slowly absorbed into the body, preventing spikes in blood sugar.

Beneficial for people with type II diabetes or anyone watching their sugar intake, because of it's low glycemic index.
Agave is not good. It's almost completely fructose syrup. It even has more fructose content than High Fructose Corn Syrup. Do not be fooled by the folks who market Agave Syrups. It's a scam. Regarding Diabetes, most people believe that fructose is the darling sweetener of choice because it does not affect bloog glucose levels in the same way as sugar due to the fact that the insulin response is far less. But make no mistake, Agave syrup is not a healthy alternative by any means.

Also, the title of this thread is "my diabetes has been reversed". It is my understanding that although the symptoms and blood glucose swings of diabetic condition can subside based on changes to diet, that does not necessarily mean that your diabetes has been 'reversed'. If you are diabetic, you are diabetic. How you manage that will decide the extent to which your metabolism reacts to your dietary choices. If you ignore your condition, and make it worse, your symptoms and chronic issues will also get worse. This is what some people refer to as a 'damaged metabolism'.

so technically, what you mean is that the changes you made have significantly improved your diabetic symptoms.... and in that case... BRAVO!

Old 02-17-2011, 09:38 AM

13,815 posts, read 29,383,829 times
Yep, we're like alcoholics and Marines. You can make changes, but you're always one for life.

Old 03-28-2011, 11:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 13levine View Post
Diabetes reversal is sort of a mismomer. You have reversed yours. Instead of the symtoms getting worse they have improved by your weight loss. You definitely would get worse again (reverse in the wrong direction) if you put your weight back on. I would have been on insulin shots now if I still weighed260 instead of the 180 I weigh now. My mother was on insulin for a long time.
As far as I'm concerned you are right. Once a diabetic always a diabetic. I know one guy who didn't believe that and wound up with only one leg. Keep up the good work.
You are absolutely right, ONCE A DIABETIC, ALWAYS A DIABETIC. That's why people with diabetes have to make a total lifestyle change if they don't want to prematurely die of complications that come from having this disease. For me, I didn't like shooting up myself with insulin everyday. So I got off my lazy butt, and with God's help, started eating healthy, and work out religiously now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diabetes