Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diabetes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2010, 12:58 PM

4,530 posts, read 8,871,444 times

Advertisements

I should have added this to my first post. I live in Nebraska. According to my Doctor Victoza was just authorized in June 2010 for regular use in the USA. I was his first patient to use it and according to my Pharmacist I was the first one of his customers (Lincoln, Nebraska). Hopefully as more and more people start using it the costs will come down.

GL2
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2010, 08:41 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,336,651 times
Update;;;
I've been on it 2 weeks now and taking evening injection of .06, my weight hasnt changed but for the first time in years i've had consistant blood sugar levels in the normal range.. Victoza?? so far i'm impressed..

Old 12-03-2010, 11:11 AM

4 posts, read 40,712 times
I just started Victoza and I definitely have the appetite loss, not that I'm complaining! I don't crave the sugars like I usually do, so that is definitely good. I only had one major bout of nausea the other night and that hasn't come back so WooHoo. No throwing up or diarhea, just green. I was on Metformin with okay results, but the diarhea was killing me, I couldn't eat anything because it would race right through me. It was horrible. My doctor recommended the Victoza because she thought we might see better A1C's with an injectable, plus weight loss is always good for a Type 2 diabetic! I haven't seen the drastic decrease in my blood sugars yet though. I am hoping to start seeing some real results when I bump my dosage in a few days here.

Old 12-03-2010, 11:12 AM

Oh, I should also point out that my prescription coverage actually covers the Victoza 100%. Lucky me I guess!

Old 12-04-2010, 09:50 AM

4,530 posts, read 8,871,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sindirella View Post
Oh, I should also point out that my prescription coverage actually covers the Victoza 100%. Lucky me I guess!
I have been paying the cash price for Victoza out of my own pocket because my Prescription Insurance would not pay for it. I shopped around and two of the pens (a 30 day supply with the 1.2MG injection) cost as high as $340.00. Our local Sam's Club has a cash price of $271.46 so I have been buying there. In January 2011 I will be switching my Prescription drug coverage to WalMart/Humana. My savings will be substantial under their plan. For one thing my monthly premium will drop from $93/month to $14.80/month. My monthly medications under my current plan cost over $320.00. After the first month under the WM/Humana plan my monthly medications will cost $170.00. That totals up to a savings of over $220.00 or more a month! That will almost pay my grocery bill for the month. Hell I might even be able to afford a T-Bone once a month now.

GL2

Old 12-08-2010, 03:11 PM

Okay, so I'm starting to see the weight loss. I've been losing about 1/2 lb. a day for the last few days. Still no other major side effects. My blood sugars are starting to come down again. When I went on Victoza, I had been off my Metformin for about a week, so my blood sugars had kind of gone out of control, but things seem to be looking up.

I was looking at the cost of the prescription when I picked up the Victoza and I was shocked! If my insurance didn't cover it, I probably would have gone back to my doctor and asked her to put me on something else!!

Old 12-10-2010, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunluvver2 View Post
I have been paying the cash price for Victoza out of my own pocket because my Prescription Insurance would not pay for it. I shopped around and two of the pens (a 30 day supply with the 1.2MG injection) cost as high as $340.00. Our local Sam's Club has a cash price of $271.46 so I have been buying there. In January 2011 I will be switching my Prescription drug coverage to WalMart/Humana. My savings will be substantial under their plan. For one thing my monthly premium will drop from $93/month to $14.80/month. My monthly medications under my current plan cost over $320.00. After the first month under the WM/Humana plan my monthly medications will cost $170.00. That totals up to a savings of over $220.00 or more a month! That will almost pay my grocery bill for the month. Hell I might even be able to afford a T-Bone once a month now.

GL2
If my healthcare plan didn't pay for the Victoza there's no way i could afford it..
In fact if i had to pay cash for all my diabetic medications i couldnt afford to be diabetic..

Old 12-17-2010, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
If my healthcare plan didn't pay for the Victoza there's no way i could afford it..
In fact if i had to pay cash for all my diabetic medications i couldnt afford to be diabetic..

Ditto to that! Being diabetic is really expensive, beyond just the medication. My life insurance costs a bundle, I can't even get onto a short-term disability plan, and I have to see my doctor at least 4 times a year vs. none before being diagnosed. Ugh!

Old 12-18-2010, 03:18 AM

Fortunately i have a very good provider
Canada's Health Care System (Medicare)

Old 01-12-2011, 12:23 PM

This Victoza dont come cheap 2x 6mg/ml stylos $184.99, govmnt pays $147.99 leaving me to pay $37.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diabetes