Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diabetes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2011, 04:04 PM

1,695 posts, read 4,674,038 times

Advertisements

i would definitely go to your doc (better yet an endocrinologist) and take a chart of your sugar levels.

I wouldnt be surprised if your meds change some while you try to level it out some. Also, look into a dietary class for diabetics - you would be surprised at things that have a lot of sugar that you never think about or realize. Not to mention youll learn how to read the labels and apply them to your situation.

hubby is limited to 60 carbs per meal (everyone is different)- start looking at labels and see how quickly those add up!

the best thing to do is to work with your docs, and get educated!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2011, 07:23 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,807,637 times
60 per meal or per day? I was restricted to 90 per day.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Old 06-03-2011, 05:27 PM

1,695 posts, read 4,674,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelleInUtah View Post
60 per meal or per day? I was restricted to 90 per day.

60 per meal. hes lost 50 lbs since his stroke in mid April and his diabetes is under control with diet and meds only (no insulin). Now if we could get his blood pressure to cooperate, all would be good. I'm amazed at his weight loss, and its largely because he cut out the rice (hes japanese) that used to make a HUGE portion of his diet (think a minimum of 2 cups of rice x 3 meals a day + other carbs/ sugar/ etc). Course, it might help that he needs me to cook, since he still has very limited mobility on his right side. so really, hes not even getting much exercise, other than physical and occupational therapy. we are going to try and walk to the end of the cul de sac and back tomorrow morning to see how he does (we live about 5 homes up from the end)

Old 06-03-2011, 08:26 PM

That is great that he has lost so much! Tell him congrats.

Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Old 06-05-2011, 11:50 AM

33 posts, read 192,425 times
I was just diagnosed with type 2 a couple weeks ago...my sugar levels blow all you guys away (twice as high as what i heard earlier). I was very skinny and active before losing most of my sight (muscle disease, not from diabetes). I gained over 100 pounds in about 5 years. I am only 5'1" but I still weigh 180 lbs so I need to lose another 50 lbs at least.
Cutting out cookies, candy, and pasta is sooooo hard. Is this what a drug addict feels like??? And eating every few hours is crazy since I have become such a slug.
I have been to a couple classes already but type 2 runs in my family so I should have been more careful.
Oh I take actos and 50 on lev pen thingie... which I will be out of on Monday. I will have to ask my doc for more. I thot the insul pen would be delivered by the actos people, will i have two mail pharmacies? if that stuff is to be kept cold, how can it come thru the mail in this texas heat?

Old 06-06-2011, 08:10 PM

13,815 posts, read 29,383,829 times
You can still eat pasta (in moderation) Dreamfields Pasta Tastes Great, Low Carb Pasta, Diabetic Pasta, Healthy Pasta Recipes

some of the best stuff on Earth
and you'll never know it isn't your regular brand either. Make a meal with it and I guarantee you nobody will notice a difference (unless they check their blood sugar after it of course, although that could be funny in itself..).

Old 06-07-2011, 07:21 AM

13,622 posts, read 10,022,774 times
This thread has been useful to me. I had my blood sugar levels checked, and after 12 hours of fasting, my level was 6.2, I have looked into this, and it seems that I am pre-diabetic. I have changed my diet, but don’t know if this will be enough to stop me becoming diabetic.

Add to this; liver function test abnormal, high cholesterol, bone degeneration, high blood pressure, etc, etc, the list goes on. Many of these are probably related.

Up to now I have only seen a “Diabetic Nurse”, and was told to cut out sugar, is that enough?

Old 06-07-2011, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BECLAZONE View Post
This thread has been useful to me. I had my blood sugar levels checked, and after 12 hours of fasting, my level was 6.2, I have looked into this, and it seems that I am pre-diabetic. I have changed my diet, but don’t know if this will be enough to stop me becoming diabetic.

Add to this; liver function test abnormal, high cholesterol, bone degeneration, high blood pressure, etc, etc, the list goes on. Many of these are probably related.

Up to now I have only seen a “Diabetic Nurse”, and was told to cut out sugar, is that enough?
No, but it's a good start. Ask for a referral to a diabetic educator (all hiospitals have them). You need to count carbs as that will automatically count the sugars. I was told to limit myself to 90 carbs per day, about 6 servings (I was on insulin at the time). Read labels religiously! Some slices of bread are 15 carbs, some are more. It means SMALL servings of rice/pasta/potatoes. Cut out all diet drinks and drink water. The diet drinks have chemicals that can interfere with the body's processing of food. My finger nails got much stronger after I quit drinking diet drinks.

Also, glucose levels affect your lipid levels. When my glucose is in good control, my lipid profile is normal. When it isn't, my lipid profile is terrible! You may have what is known as metabolic syndrome, google it to learn more.

Good luck! I wish I had listened back when I was "pre" as I have been acutally diabetic for 15 yrs or so.

Old 06-07-2011, 02:31 PM

13,622 posts, read 10,022,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelleInUtah View Post
No, but it's a good start. Ask for a referral to a diabetic educator (all hiospitals have them). You need to count carbs as that will automatically count the sugars. I was told to limit myself to 90 carbs per day, about 6 servings (I was on insulin at the time). Read labels religiously! Some slices of bread are 15 carbs, some are more. It means SMALL servings of rice/pasta/potatoes. Cut out all diet drinks and drink water. The diet drinks have chemicals that can interfere with the body's processing of food. My finger nails got much stronger after I quit drinking diet drinks.

Also, glucose levels affect your lipid levels. When my glucose is in good control, my lipid profile is normal. When it isn't, my lipid profile is terrible! You may have what is known as metabolic syndrome, google it to learn more.

Good luck! I wish I had listened back when I was "pre" as I have been acutally diabetic for 15 yrs or so.
Thank you, you have given me a lot of food for thought, (excuse the pun).

I’m slightly more concerned now, but I suppose that’s good.

I will take your advice very seriously, it seems I need to make many changes, especially to my diet, (I’m not sure if being vegetarian helps or not, but I won’t change that).

I just looked up “metabolic syndrome”, and it seems to fit my readings almost perfectly.

I had not heard of a “diabetic educator” until today, so I’ll have to see what can be done in relation to that.

Thank you again for the help, I value it greatly.

Old 06-07-2011, 04:16 PM

Diabetic educators teach you everything you need to know. How to count carbs, how to balance your diet, how to manage any related health issues (like skin/foot problems as we are prone to infections), even some sample menus.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diabetes