Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diabetes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2011, 03:44 PM

2,391 posts, read 5,046,411 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelleInUtah View Post
You can add protein powder to foods. Www.unjury.com has whey isolate protein in a medical grade. I need it b/c I had a gastric bypass 18 months ago and I can't eat much.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

I don't use whey and my protein powders are made of soy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2011, 08:11 PM

22,654 posts, read 24,581,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SusqueHappy View Post
Veggienut, I concur with your line of inquiry and encourage you to look into lo-carb.

The only thing (besides ideology) that seems to be a big hump for people who begin to lo-carb is the transition time to a more ketogenic metabolism. I switched right away after doing near-vegetarian, hi-carb, nearly-no-fat, in about a month's time and I thought I would die - sweats, brain fog, etc. I suspected I was becoming pre-diabetic even though I ate no sugar, only veg & fruit & juices, so I wanted to get it straightened out right away.

It actually took a year before my blood-sugar stabilized and I've stopped checking it since then. I feel great, better than ever.

Use a macronutrient ratio calculator to start making changes. Just so you know, my 'happy zone' is <100g carbs/day (not counting copious amounts of wine) and 100+g protein, everything else is fat, I've been doing this for years now so don't be afraid of numbers. I just don't advocate quick transitions.

EDIT: I don't have a Dr's diagnosis for diabetes or even pre-diabetes. I only have heard anecdotally many accounts of diabetes treated through lo-carb diet.
This post spells things out perfectly.

What kills people when transitioning to a Keto-type way of eating is that period when your body is TRYING to adapt to using mainly fat for fuel.....yike, it can be tough.

Old 11-20-2011, 09:01 PM

4,760 posts, read 13,823,758 times
I was pre-diabetic and I completely changed my eating style, cutting out all high glycemic foods 95% of the time. My last blood work showed my blood sugar as normal, but I plan to eat like this for the rest of my life to try to ensure I am never pre-diabetic again.

As a bonus, I am losing weight, effortlessly.

After the first few weeks, all food cravings go away. I never thought I'd be the type of person who sees a piece of cake and thinks, "Meh," but now I am.

Old 12-05-2011, 02:05 PM

Question Question of the Day

In the beginning I was watching my carbs, but not now. I just got so overwhelmed to watch my carbs. What does carbs have to do with being pre-diabetic anyways~? I do watch what I eat and always have since I've been vegetarian for over 20 years. But for me to watch my carbs and watching that I don't eat certain foods since I have hypothyroidism is a bit much since I was diagnosed with both of them at the same time. Any suggestions are appreciated.

Old 12-05-2011, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by veggienut View Post
In the beginning I was watching my carbs, but not now. I just got so overwhelmed to watch my carbs. What does carbs have to do with being pre-diabetic anyways~?
Many carbs are high glycemic and cause some people's blood sugar to go up too much. Over time, that can take you from pre-diabetic to diabetic (or at least that's what many physicians believe, including mine).

I was only motivated to cut out high sugar carbs after I saw the numbers on the blood glucose monitor. That helped me much more than anything to make changes. I use the Accu-chek Aviva one. It doesn't cost much $ but the test strips are expensive. You don't have to do it forever, just until you learn which foods affect you in negative ways.

Old 12-05-2011, 08:41 PM

Quote:
...blood glucose monitor. That helped me much more than anything to make changes. I use the Accu-chek Aviva one...
[LEFT]

The Doctor just told me to watch what I eat and cut back on eating bread, potatoes and coke. I've switched to Coke Zero and I hardly eat potatoes, but I do eat bread. I've changed the brand of bread to "Pepperidge Farm 15 Grain", which is low in everything.
[/LEFT]

Old 01-05-2012, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tortoise View Post
I read and glanced thru different articles on Google as you posted. One was good, but it didn't give any info why not to eat certain foods.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lolipopbubbles View Post
I have hypothyroidism and was given medication ( one pill in am, no food for half hour) but never told anything about what foods to stay away from due to the hypothyroidsm. What food do you have to stay away from for that? did your doctor tell you this?
My Doc told me I can eat anything, but the nutriental coach told me what not to eat. The Doc never heard about those foods that the nutrient coach told me about. I am back to eating potatoes and waking in the am's I am feeling full from the night before and can't each much. I am drinking coffee now. I need some advice on this issue again.

Old 01-10-2012, 11:16 AM

21 posts, read 32,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veggienut View Post
Does cutting your carbs when your pre-diabetic help at all~? How~? What foods should you stay away from~? Is it difficult to stay away from those foods if you also have hypothyroidism and have foods to stay away from that condition~?
First you must know that your body is like an engine (the metabolic speed) that needs regular input of healthy food at the right amount, include enough water and regular movement.
To avoid being diabetic, you cannot go without any one of the above. In fact it can increase the risk of Metabolic Syndrome which link to diseases such as high cholesterol, high blood, diabetes and heart diseases.

Eating a healthy diet helps you keep your blood glucose at a healthy level. There are 2 groups of carbohydrate: the good carb and the bad carb.

BAD CARB to avoid such as cookies, cakes, donuts, sweet bread, white rice, white bread, white pasta, juice etc. These are bad because it cause quick and high blood glucose.

GOOD CARB is the healthy choice because they are slow in digestion process so your blood glucose stay at more healthy level. The good carb sources include vegetables, fruit, oats, brown rice, lentils, whole grain breads, whole grain cereals, potatoes. (Remember moderation is important in healthy eating to prevent all kind of diseases.)

I hope my description help everyone to understand it easy.

Old 01-10-2012, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by womaninred View Post
GOOD CARB is the healthy choice because they are slow in digestion process so your blood glucose stay at more healthy level. The good carb sources include vegetables, fruit, oats, brown rice, lentils, whole grain breads, whole grain cereals, potatoes. (Remember moderation is important in healthy eating to prevent all kind of diseases.)

I hope my description help everyone to understand it easy.
Many medical professionals do not believe that all the carbs above are good, and I agree with them. Whole grain breads, for example, spike my blood sugar, as do white potatoes. I don't eat those any more.

Old 01-10-2012, 05:48 PM

10,364 posts, read 20,791,358 times
I'm confused about this issue too. I've gained weight in the last year and can tell that I've become insulin resistant as it all went to my belly fat. Also, when I eat carbs I can feel my heart rate go up. I exercise quite a lot--at least 4x/week and my glucose at the last Dr. visit was only 76, which is good I think but I still don't think I'm out of the hot water so I'm just going to lay off the sweets from now on and when I quit losing weight from that I'll switch over to lower carb. Still, I wonder about the normal glucose reading--if I'm reacting that strongly to eating carbs, wouldn't it be higher? Or is the exercise helping that much? I've read that the quickest way to normalize your BS, if you're not already diabetic, is to go out and exercise.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diabetes