Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diabetes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2012, 10:30 PM

2,391 posts, read 5,046,411 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelleInUtah View Post
Ice cream? So you are not really serious about this?

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk
What am I suppose to do with the ice-cream that I bought and other items that are in the fridge and freezer~? I was hungry and what I had didn't fill me up for too long. I am serious and doing the best I can
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2012, 07:47 AM

1,787 posts, read 5,746,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veggienut View Post
What am I suppose to do with the ice-cream that I bought and other items that are in the fridge and freezer~? I was hungry and what I had didn't fill me up for too long. I am serious and doing the best I can
Sometimes you just have to close your eyes and toss it.

Or, give what spikes your glucose levels to someone that can tolerate it. Have a food party!! Call it "cleaning out my cupboard party." You can ask others to bring food that is good for you [and them].

Old 03-25-2012, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timneh5 View Post

Or, give what spikes your glucose levels to someone that can tolerate it. Have a food party!! Call it "cleaning out my cupboard party." You can ask others to bring food that is good for you [and them].
I appreciate your thoughts but I am "not diabetic", only "pre-diabetic" as the Doc says. I think this is because of my thyroid that got out of control last summer which caused it. Also, I am not overweight and maybe that is what you and the others think. I am in the 120lb range.

Old 03-25-2012, 05:51 PM

Quote:
I appreciate your thoughts but I am "not diabetic", only "pre-diabetic" as the Doc says. I think this is because of my thyroid that got out of control last summer which caused it. Also, I am not overweight and maybe that is what you and the others think. I am in the 120lb range.
I never think someone is overweight when they say they have diabetes. My father-in-law was thin when he was diagnosed with type II.

You're pre-diabetic now, but you have to eat as if you have diabetes [for the most part] to prevent getting diabetes.

How is your thyroid now? Were you hypo or hyper?

Old 03-25-2012, 06:12 PM

Quote:
I never think someone is overweight when they say they have diabetes. My father-in-law was thin when he was diagnosed with type II.

You're pre-diabetic now, but you have to eat as if you have diabetes [for the most part] to prevent getting diabetes.

How is your thyroid now? Were you hypo or hyper?

The people I have known in the past that are or were diagnosed with either pre-diabetes or diabetes were over weight. I am hypo with my thyroid. The Doctor tell me that she's never heard of the numerous of foods that you shouldn't eat if you have hypothyroidism, but everything I have read on the internet and the recent book I bought indicates differently. I tried in the beginning to watch what I ate between the thyroid and pre-diabetes, and became too obsessed. That is when I lost a lot and got down to like 120lbs or so.

Old 03-25-2012, 06:18 PM

Quote:
The people I have known in the past that are or were diagnosed with either pre-diabetes or diabetes were over weight. I am hypo with my thyroid. The Doctor tell me that she's never heard of the numerous of foods that you shouldn't eat if you have hypothyroidism, but everything I have read on the internet and the recent book I bought indicates differently. I tried in the beginning to watch what I ate between the thyroid and pre-diabetes, and became too obsessed. That is when I lost a lot and got down to like 120lbs or so.
I understand, as my thyroid doesn't work well. Trying to get everything right can make you crazy. It's hard to drop extra weight when you're hypo. Good for you; not an easy thing to do.

Old 03-25-2012, 06:35 PM

Quote:
I understand, as my thyroid doesn't work well. Trying to get everything right can make you crazy. It's hard to drop extra weight when you're hypo. Good for you; not an easy thing to do.
Thanks for your nice reply I was watching it without keeping track after I was obsessed. Then only recently, I've missed lunch and my sweet tooth kicked in for an ice-cream as well as memories of my parents & I going out as a kid for a drive and ice-cream <tears>

Old 03-27-2012, 09:15 PM

Quote:

Well, I got rid of most of my cookies today. I have some that are low sugar or low carbs (or something). I'm sure the repair guys will like it when they find it in the fridge when they get to work in the am

Quote:
Ice cream? So you are not really serious about this?
I also am thinking about putting that into the freezer at work for the repair guys too

It hit me last night and I cried like a baby that "it is for real". Everything in the past year has piled up on me. I'm never ever sick, but this past year, has been a real doozy~!

Old 04-03-2012, 01:01 AM

15,638 posts, read 26,249,738 times
Quote:
Well, I got rid of most of my cookies today. I have some that are low sugar or low carbs (or something). I'm sure the repair guys will like it when they find it in the fridge when they get to work in the am

I also am thinking about putting that into the freezer at work for the repair guys too

It hit me last night and I cried like a baby that "it is for real". Everything in the past year has piled up on me. I'm never ever sick, but this past year, has been a real doozy~!
Cookies aren't good, but ice cream isn't a deal breaker. You just have to portion control it. And remember, you can actually eat LESS than a full portion of something.

While you're making these changes (YAY!!) I still think you need a blood glucose meter and keep a food diary to know what's doing what.

If I had to give up potatoes I'd be shattered... giving up rice was easy. And blissfully, potatoes IN PORTION do not cause me problems. Rice does.

Old 04-03-2012, 07:43 AM

veggienut, If you have to have cookies, try "Goya maria cinnamon cookies" (cinnamon flavor is very light, red package). They taste really good.

serving size: 5 cookies
calories: 130
fat: 2.5 grm
carb: 23 grm
sugar: 7 grm
protein: 2 grm
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diabetes