Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diabetes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2013, 10:08 AM

4,097 posts, read 11,475,039 times

Advertisements

You sound like a very strong person who clearly knows what she had to do to monitor your health. Just keep saying "sorry no" to your misguided relatives.

It does seem like they would be the ones to give alcohol to the alcoholic saying "only one would not hurt you".

But still, try not to judge their own decisions since it is their life and their health. They very clearly don't want to know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2013, 06:37 AM

1,787 posts, read 5,745,866 times
I also agree with the other suggestion and you should eat your main meal at lunch time. For dinner, make a salad that everyone can eat, including you. That way you'll be able sit and have dinner. When someone says "hey, have some "fill in the blank" tell them your glucose numbers are high today, so you'll stick with the salad. It sounds like they need a few lessons from you in food choices. Take care of yourself.

Old 08-15-2013, 06:43 AM

9,524 posts, read 16,505,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetana3 View Post
You sound like a very strong person who clearly knows what she had to do to monitor your health. Just keep saying "sorry no" to your misguided relatives.

It does seem like they would be the ones to give alcohol to the alcoholic saying "only one would not hurt you".

But still, try not to judge their own decisions since it is their life and their health. They very clearly don't want to know.

Thanks.

Old 08-15-2013, 06:49 AM

9,524 posts, read 16,505,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timneh5 View Post
I also agree with the other suggestion and you should eat your main meal at lunch time. For dinner, make a salad that everyone can eat, including you. That way you'll be able sit and have dinner. When someone says "hey, have some "fill in the blank" tell them your glucose numbers are high today, so you'll stick with the salad. It sounds like they need a few lessons from you in food choices. Take care of yourself.

Good Advice. We did the salad last night and had chicken and vegetables. My sister recommended it. So maybe they are deciding they want to eat better also. I did start eating my main meal at lunchtime. When I am either preparing it, or I have a chicken or turkey sandwich and a salad somewhere. Thanks

Old 08-15-2013, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimrob1 View Post
Good Advice. We did the salad last night and had chicken and vegetables. My sister recommended it. So maybe they are deciding they want to eat better also. I did start eating my main meal at lunchtime. When I am either preparing it, or I have a chicken or turkey sandwich and a salad somewhere. Thanks
You're welcome. I don't know what stores you have in your area...try getting the big clear plastic containers of cutup ready-to-eat mixed salad greens from BJ's. It's a big time saver and no one gets tired of eating salad by preparing it when it's easy.

Old 08-15-2013, 11:33 AM

16,904 posts, read 16,118,685 times
It's you that has diabetes and it's you that has to choose what you eat. It's not their problem.

Old 08-15-2013, 11:56 AM

7,776 posts, read 12,437,617 times
It would be aggravating to me if I had to keep repeating what I can have or not have. I would type out a list and make copies. Whenever they wanted me to eat something harmful, I would refer them to the printed information. It can be done if you are very apologetic in your behavior. When family and friends keep pushing you to eat something you can't have, it's too bad they are determined to bully you. I don't think they realize what they're doing.

Old 08-15-2013, 02:56 PM

10,114 posts, read 19,396,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainroosty View Post
It's you that has diabetes and it's you that has to choose what you eat. It's not their problem.

He never said its their problem. Its his problem and he's just trying to work with it. Its one thing to be a one-time dinner guest, another when its your daily enironment.

OP, there's no telling some people. You aren't trying to change their lifestyle, you're just trying to maintain your own. Some people want to see their own lifestyle validated by others or they become offended. Many simply want to deny diabetes, or its complications. I was DX with type II last year, I since went from FBG 598+ to FBG 92! But I have complete control over my diet, I'm not dependent on others.

Some suggestions:

could you manage to eat out for dinner? Then come back and enjoy a small snack with them, perhaps something you bought/prepared, such as a salad?

Is there any way to keep food in your room, perhaps a small fridge and microwave, so you could have small, frequent meals without being in their kitchen?

Maybe offer to cook dinner for everyone? They could have their "junk" while you have the healthy stuff? For example, cook up chicken breasts, bread and deep-fry theirs, just bake or pan broil yours plain. Make a veggie casserole for them with sauces, make your plain, a little pepper, sices, etc. They maybe intrigued by your version of things.

I don't know about handing them a brouchere about diabetes. Chances are they won;t even read it. I used to work for a doctor's office. Most patients wouldn't read a list, brouchere, etc literally to save their lives! I'm starting to think many are functional illiterates, so belittle educational materials because they don't want to admit they can't understand them. You might offend them by handing them educational materials.

Good luck to you

Old 08-15-2013, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryleeII View Post
He never said its their problem. Its his problem and he's just trying to work with it. Its one thing to be a one-time dinner guest, another when its your daily enironment.

OP, there's no telling some people. You aren't trying to change their lifestyle, you're just trying to maintain your own. Some people want to see their own lifestyle validated by others or they become offended. Many simply want to deny diabetes, or its complications. I was DX with type II last year, I since went from FBG 598+ to FBG 92! But I have complete control over my diet, I'm not dependent on others.

Some suggestions:

could you manage to eat out for dinner? Then come back and enjoy a small snack with them, perhaps something you bought/prepared, such as a salad?

Is there any way to keep food in your room, perhaps a small fridge and microwave, so you could have small, frequent meals without being in their kitchen?

Maybe offer to cook dinner for everyone? They could have their "junk" while you have the healthy stuff? For example, cook up chicken breasts, bread and deep-fry theirs, just bake or pan broil yours plain. Make a veggie casserole for them with sauces, make your plain, a little pepper, sices, etc. They maybe intrigued by your version of things.

I don't know about handing them a brouchere about diabetes. Chances are they won;t even read it. I used to work for a doctor's office. Most patients wouldn't read a list, brouchere, etc literally to save their lives! I'm starting to think many are functional illiterates, so belittle educational materials because they don't want to admit they can't understand them. You might offend them by handing them educational materials.

Good luck to you
Marylee, First of all, FBG 598 to 92...are you kidding me?! Awesome!!

I was going to suggest putting a small fridge in his room as well, but I think that may alienate the OP from the rest of the family. Using the main refrigerator doesn't seem to be part of the problem. If the OP makes dinner for everyone, the dinner should be made the same for all...healthy.

Old 08-15-2013, 10:45 PM

10,114 posts, read 19,396,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timneh5 View Post
Marylee, First of all, FBG 598 to 92...are you kidding me?! Awesome!!

I was going to suggest putting a small fridge in his room as well, but I think that may alienate the OP from the rest of the family. Using the main refrigerator doesn't seem to be part of the problem. If the OP makes dinner for everyone, the dinner should be made the same for all...healthy.

Yep, I lowered my BG by going on medication---Metformin---and just watching what I ate. I had such a problem with dry mouth. It was due to the diabetes, but I didn't know that then. I just lived on those MCD frozen drinks, cokes, ice cream, and fruit. I thought if it was fresh fruit, I could eat all I wanted. I know better now! I was trying to relieve the dry mouth, and ended up making the diabetes worse!

Also, I've found many new ways of cooking, which everyone enjoys. I can't believe the garbage I used to eat! Even my teens now read labels, and will say oh, that's too many carbs,or has HFCS = high fructose corn syrup.

Back to the OP---perhaps offering to cook dinner might show them healthy ways to eat?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diabetes