Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diabetes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2013, 12:01 PM

12,956 posts, read 13,668,599 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazel W View Post
Vegetarian question. If you avoid meat, what do you use for protein entrees? I know a few things but not many and none really satisfactory if I'm to do my own meals, not use Amy's.
Sometimes I try to get my protein requirement covered before the evening meal. Figure out how much you need based on your weight, usually around 30 -55 grams for me. I eat things like peanuts, peanut butter sandwiches, yogurt, oatmeal, and cereal with soy milk, this way I keep the calories out of my evening meals and still get to eat plenty. There are vegetables like asparagus that have good protein content.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2013, 12:02 PM

3,430 posts, read 4,254,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thriftylefty View Post
These are weekly gatherings for beer and steaks or payday pizza parties which are fairly routine and on an ongoing schedule. I have gone occasionally but they know I am not "one of the gang"

Most of us as well as diabetics need to focus on the balance between nutrition and calories. Pizza has too many calories for a food that has hardly any nutrition. When I had to prepare meals that were approved by the Health Department, we could not claim Pizza as a component of the meal .We could serve it, but like potato chips the nutritional requirements had to come from others foods in the meal. High calorie foods that don’t pack a lot of nutrition are foods most of us like but our bodies have to work hard to digest with no gain for its effort.

So, if the bad outweighs the good, you cannot claim it as part of a nutritious meal. Like a candy bar or ice cream which do have nutrition in them but the nutrition is overshadowed with sugar. Interesting.

Old 08-18-2013, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Sometimes I try to get my protein requirement covered before the evening meal. Figure out how much you need based on your weight, usually around 30 -55 grams for me. I eat things like peanuts, peanut butter sandwiches, yogurt, oatmeal, and cereal with soy milk, this way I keep the calories out of my evening meals and still get to eat plenty. There are vegetables like asparagus that have good protein content.

That makes sense. Peanut butter on a slice of raisin bread I've used several times. And banana smoothie made with banana, any other fruit and vanilla yogurt (low fat).

But I still have the other question. Not trying to be nagging, I promise; just persistent. Say you are preparing dinner for yourself and non-diabetics. Of course, you could serve meat and avoid it but, for the sake of the question, you don't want to cook meat. Then you need a tasty and satisfying entre.

What I probably need is a recipe book that has such? You mentioned tofu and others have suggested tofu. I tried tofu once and did a horrible job. Something to learn there - how to handle tofu. Unfortunately (or not), I have never been a cook. Now I have to learn.

Thanks again. I do appreciate your suggestions.

Old 08-18-2013, 02:26 PM

12,956 posts, read 13,668,599 times
Quote:
That makes sense. Peanut butter on a slice of raisin bread I've used several times. And banana smoothie made with banana, any other fruit and vanilla yogurt (low fat).

But I still have the other question. Not trying to be nagging, I promise; just persistent. Say you are preparing dinner for yourself and non-diabetics. Of course, you could serve meat and avoid it but, for the sake of the question, you don't want to cook meat. Then you need a tasty and satisfying entre.

What I probably need is a recipe book that has such? You mentioned tofu and others have suggested tofu. I tried tofu once and did a horrible job. Something to learn there - how to handle tofu. Unfortunately (or not), I have never been a cook. Now I have to learn.

Thanks again. I do appreciate your suggestions.
I would do a stir fry with chopped cabbage, mushrooms, peppers, broccoli, cauliflower, onions, and whatever else you like. Most of these kinds of vegetables have some protein. You also are looking for vitamin B and iron. Then for the non-diabetics you could take some marinated chicken breast roasted on a skewer. I would serve it over basmati rice which is better for diabetics, or roll it up in flour tortillas with an Asian dipping sauce.
Some times with hamburgers serve Hummus or avocado spread. I eat my burger without the meat and just use the spread with everything else; tomato, pickles, onions lettuce, there are also some very health leafy greens you can use instead of lettuce.

Old 08-18-2013, 02:40 PM

Quote:
I would do a stir fry with chopped cabbage, mushrooms, peppers, broccoli, cauliflower, onions, and whatever else you like. Most of these kinds of vegetables have some protein. You also are looking for vitamin B and iron. Then for the non-diabetics you could take some marinated chicken breast roasted on a skewer. I would serve it over basmati rice which is better for diabetics, or roll it up in flour tortillas with an Asian dipping sauce.
Some times with hamburgers serve Hummus or avocado spread. I eat my burger without the meat and just use the spread with everything else; tomato, pickles, onions lettuce, there are also some very health leafy greens you can use instead of lettuce.

Those sound good. May I steal them and put them in my file? I discovered hummus spread just a few weeks ago. One of our stores had a huge selection. The one I tried was good and I'll try another next time.

Thank you very much. I really like that hamburger without the meat idea.

I am away now. Thanks again.

Old 08-18-2013, 04:04 PM

9,524 posts, read 16,507,823 times
Thanks everyone for all the comments and info. I appreciate them. I think things are coming along ok. I basically just eat what I can, and I think they understand now. It was just the evening meal anyway. I found a part-time job this week, so I won't be here a few evenings a week now anyway. So the meal problem shouldn't be much of a problem any longer. Thanks.

Old 08-18-2013, 07:54 PM

22,654 posts, read 24,581,931 times
Are these people Supertards?????

Do they not understand what it means to have Diabetes.....maybe try explaining it to them in a very, very, very simple way???????

Old 08-18-2013, 09:26 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,811,151 times
Quote:
But if you are trying to put together a dinner with an entrée and several vegetables, what idea crosses your mind for the entrée? I use Bob's Red Mill TVP in soups and such but soups are not entrees. Amy's has a veggie burger but I've never been able to eat it any way other than in a bun.

Thank you for the other ideas. I mustn't forget protein bars. There is a new brand on the market whose name evades me right now. Their yogurt bars are very good.
I eat meat, just not every day or every meal.

Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Old 08-19-2013, 03:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimrob1 View Post
Thanks everyone for all the comments and info. I appreciate them. I think things are coming along ok. I basically just eat what I can, and I think they understand now. It was just the evening meal anyway. I found a part-time job this week, so I won't be here a few evenings a week now anyway. So the meal problem shouldn't be much of a problem any longer. Thanks.
Good luck.

Old 08-25-2013, 12:01 PM

15,638 posts, read 26,247,288 times
Hey, Jim -- you are living rent free at your sister's and right now not working, but she does and I assume her husband does, too....

The answer is to "help" her by fixing dinner for everyone. "Surely you're tired dear sister, let me help". That way YOU get to take control of what's being made and you get to look like a hero for helping!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diabetes