Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diabetes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2014, 06:35 PM

9,526 posts, read 16,510,276 times

Advertisements

Does anyone eat Yogurt? I ask because I enjoy Yogurt, and it basically is a healthy food. Though it is very difficult to find one a Diabetic can eat. I found a Diabetic friendly yogurt by Dannon. It's the Light & Fit Greek yogurt. 7g sugar and 9g carb. I think its 80 cal. I believe this yogurt may have replaced the Dannon low carb Diabetic yogurt. I've seen this Dannon Greek Yogurt advertised in the Diabetic magazines. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2014, 10:13 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,866,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimrob1 View Post
Does anyone eat Yogurt? I ask because I enjoy Yogurt, and it basically is a healthy food. Though it is very difficult to find one a Diabetic can eat. I found a Diabetic friendly yogurt by Dannon. It's the Light & Fit Greek yogurt. 7g sugar and 9g carb. I think its 80 cal. I believe this yogurt may have replaced the Dannon low carb Diabetic yogurt. I've seen this Dannon Greek Yogurt advertised in the Diabetic magazines. Thanks.
I make my own yogurt with whole milk and some instant milk powder, and instead of sweetening it, I will microwave a few berries until the juice comes out, and stir them in for color and flavor. The yogurt I make has higher numbers (using a recipe calculator) than the plain Greek yogurts in the store, but doesn't seem to affect my numbers.

Old 04-26-2014, 12:16 PM

558 posts, read 1,120,477 times
I have a question I hope someone can answer as I googled it with no luck:

I'm going on a cross country flight in May so the day of travel I must take with me some snacks that will get me through. I have to eat low carb because if I eat high carbs I pass out after I eat.
I am told natural peanut butter is good because it's low in carb/sugar and it's filling. My problem is if I put it on bread what kind of bread do I use? I have not eaten bread in months. I compared labels at the grocery store and the white starchy breads actually have less carbs than the whole wheats, but I read online to avoid white breads. Wouldn't I WANT to get the white bread since it's lower in carb?
Can anyone explain this? Thanks!
PS- And travel foods that help you please share with me.

Old 04-26-2014, 03:13 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,866,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Challenger76 View Post
I have a question I hope someone can answer as I googled it with no luck:

I'm going on a cross country flight in May so the day of travel I must take with me some snacks that will get me through. I have to eat low carb because if I eat high carbs I pass out after I eat.
I am told natural peanut butter is good because it's low in carb/sugar and it's filling. My problem is if I put it on bread what kind of bread do I use? I have not eaten bread in months. I compared labels at the grocery store and the white starchy breads actually have less carbs than the whole wheats, but I read online to avoid white breads. Wouldn't I WANT to get the white bread since it's lower in carb?
Can anyone explain this? Thanks!
PS- And travel foods that help you please share with me.
I usually eat these: Peanut Butter Filled Pretzels: The Best Pretzel Nuggets | HK Anderson A serving is 10 pretzels so I put that in a ziplock bag.

I also eat these pita breads: https://www.josephsbakery.com/shop/f...ita-bread.html It tastes okay with peanut butter spread on it.

White bread has less carbs usually but also less fiber. The fiber won't make your sugar spike, a lot of people don't count that in their carb counts for meals.

I buy the Sara Lee 45 calorie bread, it has 17 carbs in 2 slices but 5 of those carbs are fiber.

A Glucerna shake might be an option. Glucerna Hunger Smart Shakes — Diabetes Products — Glucerna But you would have to tell the airport screeners that you had a medical condition so that you could bring a liquid on the plane, I don't know if you would be comfortable with that. (I also haven't tried those shakes but have seen them recommended on a diabetes forum I go to, so I don't know if they taste good or not).

Some of the Atkins bars might work for you but some of them seem to have a lot of sugar alcohols, which are supposed to be processed more slowly than sugar by the body so they don't cause as much of a spike as sugar, but sometimes sugar alcohols cause diarrhea.

Old 04-27-2014, 05:21 PM

558 posts, read 1,120,477 times
Thank you HM
I am going to go look for the Sara Lee bread you speak of. 17 carbs in 2 slices, that would be great.
I too have thought about the Glucerna shakes, I think I'll buy some tomorrow and I'll let ya know if they are any good.
Far as taking it on the plane, I don't know if they will let me with the 3oz rule, maybe a doctors note would help.

Old 05-01-2014, 11:30 PM

22,658 posts, read 24,585,979 times
Almond M&M's, luvvvv those thingees.

Old 05-02-2014, 01:30 AM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,297 posts, read 14,161,028 times
Refrigerated hams, shank portion - Cook's is best - full of fat, sugar, salt, and chemicals.

I'm happily working my way through one of those now. I'm not going to weigh myself or take my blood sugar for the next month, because I just don't want to know.

Old 05-26-2014, 07:04 PM

51 posts, read 127,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazel W View Post
It would be interesting to hear thoughts on this. I know they say diabetics can eat anything if they just control how much and keep a nutritional balance. But I am wondering. Are there certain foods that you would never bring into the house because the amount of carbs or fats make it quite difficult, if not impossible, to control the diet?

I don't mean because they are too tempting - foods you can't resist (chocolate?) - but foods that are simply too overloaded with carbs or fats to make them any part of any diet.

What do you think?
I am so sensitive these days, there is a lot I cannot eat.

I avoid most gluten-free pasta, because it is so hard to calculate when and how much insulin I will need. While I have been pumping for over 30 years, it is still difficult and just not worth it. (I also suffer from gluten intolerance, thus gluten-free; no definite diagnosis if celiac, but it is highly suspected since my daughter is positively dxd.)

Lots of other foods are problematic for me, but I'm not sure it's due to my age, or diabetes: most ground meats (lamb, beef, sausage), most dairy (including cheese and yogurt. but not half/half or butter), and a new variety of fruits, usually berries. What does she eat, you ask? Steak, potatoes, rice (carefully - another challenging food with insulin), all vegetables, and many fruits, almond/coconut milks, and peanut butter. I make a great g-f bread, and am able to eat chicken, beef roast, or ham, so sandwiches are possible.

Not an easy life, but it works. My only problem is I wish I could figure out the best plan to follow to lose a few pounds! (BTW - chocolate is still possible, especially if it is dark!)

Old 06-12-2014, 09:07 AM

13,684 posts, read 9,005,834 times
Yesterday I was at Central Market, and bought some of their 'mashed artichokes' on a whim, since I can't eat regular mashed potatoes. Very good indeed!

I was thinking about making some, but it is unclear if they made the dish with 'artichokes' or "Jerusalem artichokes" (totally different).

Anyone have any experience with making this dish?

Old 06-12-2014, 01:43 PM

5,624 posts, read 6,842,185 times
Any carbs turn to sugar so limited carbs is ideal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diabetes