Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diabetes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2014, 08:14 AM

3,430 posts, read 4,253,683 times

Advertisements

It would be interesting to hear thoughts on this. I know they say diabetics can eat anything if they just control how much and keep a nutritional balance. But I am wondering. Are there certain foods that you would never bring into the house because the amount of carbs or fats make it quite difficult, if not impossible, to control the diet?

I don't mean because they are too tempting - foods you can't resist (chocolate?) - but foods that are simply too overloaded with carbs or fats to make them any part of any diet.

What do you think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2014, 11:36 AM

295 posts, read 832,201 times
Well, I don't bring pasta (except the very occasional Dreamfield's), potatoes, rice (brown or white) or white bread into the house. Ditto many packaged processed foods (think AuGratin Potatoes, noodles, Rice-a-Roni) etc. Same goes for packaged cake/brownie mixes and Bakery cakes, cookies.

I do eat dark chocolate tho. And I'll have an occasional bite of something "forbidden" when we're out if I'm really craving it.

I consider "forbidden" foods to be any food that spikes my own bg. Others may be able to eat more carbs but I eat to my meter readings and try to stay away from foods that spike me. I don't think there's a real "forbidden" list for everyone because each person is different in what does and does not spike their bgs. But as a general rule, the "white foods" should be used with caution (potatoes, pasta, rice, etc).

Old 01-22-2014, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trivettes View Post
Well, I don't bring pasta (except the very occasional Dreamfield's), potatoes, rice (brown or white) or white bread into the house. Ditto many packaged processed foods (think AuGratin Potatoes, noodles, Rice-a-Roni) etc. Same goes for packaged cake/brownie mixes and Bakery cakes, cookies.

I do eat dark chocolate tho. And I'll have an occasional bite of something "forbidden" when we're out if I'm really craving it.

I consider "forbidden" foods to be any food that spikes my own bg. Others may be able to eat more carbs but I eat to my meter readings and try to stay away from foods that spike me. I don't think there's a real "forbidden" list for everyone because each person is different in what does and does not spike their bgs. But as a general rule, the "white foods" should be used with caution (potatoes, pasta, rice, etc).
Right that everyone would have a slightly different list but what I'm looking for is a list that is pretty much agreed on by "in-the-know" people. I think yours probably fits well. I had a thought this morning about maybe "white foods" being a good base. I know white potatoes are not the wisest. Also not white bread. I've pretty much switched to whole wheat bread. White parsnips? Those I love. Turnips? Of course, those are veggies. Does that make a difference?

I didn't suspect brown rice. And, I hadn't thought about noodles but that's something I don't usually cook anyway. I avoid baked good like a plague. Had a hard time convincing my neighbor that she should not leave chocolate chip cookies or brownies on my door knob when she goes shopping. :-(

Thank you. I'll start my list.

Old 01-22-2014, 02:56 PM

295 posts, read 832,201 times
I eat turnips all the time. I mash them with cream and butter. Trick is to boil them until soft, then drain and let them dry out a bit. I also use them in my version of "potato" salad. lol I've also used them in place of potatoes in stew. Hubby doesn't mind at all so I guess they pass muster, lol. I haven't had parsnips in a while but they're full of fiber and I don't recall spiking. Again, I mashed them with cream and butter.

On the other diabetes board I visit, most of them avoid the "white" foods and many of the whole wheat foods too.

I avoid brown rice because to my own body, a carb is a carb is a carb. Others might react differently.

Heck, have a bite of brownie occasionally. But just a bite and not a large one at that. lol Let it melt in your mouth as long as you can and savor it. Well, that satisfies me. Usually! rofl

Old 01-23-2014, 01:46 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,280,097 times
You can eat anything you want in moderation but if you are serious about controlling your blood sugar levels you want to avoid foods that will spike your blood sugar levels to unhealthy/undesirable levels.
They are called foods with a high glycemic index. Much online resources, heres a few.
Glycemic index and glycemic load for 100+ foods - Harvard Health Publications

http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?tname=faq&dbid=32

Last edited by jambo101; 01-23-2014 at 01:55 AM..

Old 01-23-2014, 02:33 AM

18,526 posts, read 18,735,742 times
An online friend from Maine, invited someone from the UK over for a holiday, he was diabetic and the food there messed with his condition, so bad that he had to come home early..

Old 01-23-2014, 04:17 AM

Quote:
I eat turnips all the time. I mash them with cream and butter. Trick is to boil them until soft, then drain and let them dry out a bit. I also use them in my version of "potato" salad. lol I've also used them in place of potatoes in stew. Hubby doesn't mind at all so I guess they pass muster, lol. I haven't had parsnips in a while but they're full of fiber and I don't recall spiking. Again, I mashed them with cream and butter.

On the other diabetes board I visit, most of them avoid the "white" foods and many of the whole wheat foods too.

I avoid brown rice because to my own body, a carb is a carb is a carb. Others might react differently.

Heck, have a bite of brownie occasionally. But just a bite and not a large one at that. lol Let it melt in your mouth as long as you can and savor it. Well, that satisfies me. Usually! rofl
Thank you. Turnips, boiled, mashed, buttered, are so good. I don't care for them raw but cooked, yes. Never thought of them in "potato" salad. Might try that some time. And, of course, they would add a good tang to stews.

How about buttermilk?

Old 01-23-2014, 01:13 PM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,297 posts, read 14,158,957 times
Quote:
......I avoid brown rice because to my own body, a carb is a carb is a carb. Others might react differently.....
Yes. Contrary to popular opinion, carbs from whole grains are the same as carbs from processed grains. Even the glycemic indexes aren't much better! Of course if you ARE going to eat a dangerous amount of carbs, the whole foods will provide more fiber, which prevents constipation.

I developed diabetes while eating mostly starchy foods that were organic and whole.

Old 01-23-2014, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof View Post
Yes. Contrary to popular opinion, carbs from whole grains are the same as carbs from processed grains. Even the glycemic indexes aren't much better! Of course if you ARE going to eat a dangerous amount of carbs, the whole foods will provide more fiber, which prevents constipation.

I developed diabetes while eating mostly starchy foods that were organic and whole.
I have been finding some of that - allegedly healthy foods that are overloaded with carbs. Somewhere, someone else mentioned fruits. Fruits are good for us and also heavy in sugars.

All we can do - and what I am trying to do - is eliminate the worst offenders.

Old 01-24-2014, 10:10 AM

4,103 posts, read 7,023,874 times
I can't do any kind of rice. I can't do pasta, grains, beans, potatoes and other starchy veggies, many fruits, sweets, bread if I don't want my numbers to go sky high.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diabetes