Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diabetes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2014, 08:49 AM

13,684 posts, read 9,006,517 times

Advertisements

I saw an article the other day (I think People magazine) that had some short recipes for 'paleo' foods, including a chocolate cake.

Whip together (I use my food processor):

1 extra large egg (size I used).
1 tablespoon (TBS) of almond flour.
1 TBS of unsweetened Almond milk.
1/2 TBS of honey.
1 TBS of cocoa (more or less, depending on the strength of your cocoa; I use a little less).

Pour into small, microwavable container (my plastic container is 4x4 inches). Note: the article said microwave for 2 minutes; mine is ready after one. During microwaving the mixture will balloon up; after the heat is off, it will quickly collapse.

Turns out pretty darn good. I do add a few drops of liquid Stevia. I also make my own whipped cream to put on it.

Makes a nice, individual serving cake. I have not tried making a 'double portion' yet.

If anyone tries this recipe, and improves on it, let us know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2014, 11:11 AM

Note: I substituted cream for almond milk. Worked just as well.

Old 06-17-2014, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by legalsea View Post
Yesterday I was at Central Market, and bought some of their 'mashed artichokes' on a whim, since I can't eat regular mashed potatoes. Very good indeed!

I was thinking about making some, but it is unclear if they made the dish with 'artichokes' or "Jerusalem artichokes" (totally different).

Anyone have any experience with making this dish?
I shall answer my own question:

I have yet to find the "Jerusalem" artichoke, which is also known as 'sunchokes'.

I have made 'mashed' artichokes using frozen artichoke hearts. Simple: microwave the artichoke hearts (about three minutes in my microwave); then dump into your food processor, add half a cup of unsalted butter, a dash of sea salt (to taste), a dollop of cream (probably 2 Tablespoons), some pepper and (if you like) garlic powder (about a teaspoon each). Cream in the food processor. Comes out very good, and does not seem to affect my blood sugar much at all. My wife used my first batch in making Shepard's Pie.

I also plan to use the sunchokes, when I can find them. They are a tuber (the plant itself looks like a sunflower, to which it is related). It is rather high in carbs, but also very high in inulin (not insulin), which supposedly makes insulin more efficient, and also is counted as a 'fiber' since it does not digest. We shall see. I have had 'diabetic sugar' made of chicory root (another inulin) which actually caused my blood sugar to spike alarmingly.

Nevertheless, right now I am pleased with the artichoke heart mash.

Old 06-19-2014, 02:42 PM

253 posts, read 654,985 times
I have type 2 and hashimotos, so I am both very low carb AND gluten FREE. Not that there is a whole lot of gluten left to consume with a low carb diet. But soy sauce would be one of them.

For tater-ish foods, I use steamed and mashed cauliflower to make mashed cauliflower! Add heavy cream, butter, salt, pepper, and garlic. Mmm! Or like someone else said above, you can do the same with turnips. I like to user turnips (the purple and white kind) to make "hash browns." Boil/steam for about 20 minutes, chop up and toss in olive oil with onion, pepper and seasonings.

I also use a food processor to break down cauliflower chunks into "rice" for fried rice or as a rice sub for curries.

The other option for noodles are zoodles and spaghetti squash. Zoodles are just julienned zucchini partly cooked, drained and then mixed in with sauce of your choice. Spaghetti squash becomes gorgeous strands once cooked that is so nice with many sauces, or just by itself! Mmmm!

These are all nice subs, and works in a pinch when you are having a craving for fried rice or a plate of pasta. But lots healthier and won't spike you.

Old 06-19-2014, 03:01 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,868,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluemoon75 View Post
I have type 2 and hashimotos, so I am both very low carb AND gluten FREE. Not that there is a whole lot of gluten left to consume with a low carb diet. But soy sauce would be one of them.

For tater-ish foods, I use steamed and mashed cauliflower to make mashed cauliflower! Add heavy cream, butter, salt, pepper, and garlic. Mmm! Or like someone else said above, you can do the same with turnips. I like to user turnips (the purple and white kind) to make "hash browns." Boil/steam for about 20 minutes, chop up and toss in olive oil with onion, pepper and seasonings.

I also use a food processor to break down cauliflower chunks into "rice" for fried rice or as a rice sub for curries.

The other option for noodles are zoodles and spaghetti squash. Zoodles are just julienned zucchini partly cooked, drained and then mixed in with sauce of your choice. Spaghetti squash becomes gorgeous strands once cooked that is so nice with many sauces, or just by itself! Mmmm!

These are all nice subs, and works in a pinch when you are having a craving for fried rice or a plate of pasta. But lots healthier and won't spike you.
I do the same thing with cauliflower rice. I add a grated carrot or two and some green onions. The other day I added a grated yellow squash and 1/4 cup parmesan and 1/2 cup cheddar (to the whole skillet) and it was gooey and delicious. We ate it with pan fried swai that I had dipped in coconut flour.

You can use frozen cauliflower to make cauliflower rice...I just thaw it a little in the microwave before I put it in the food processor. It's cheaper than fresh cauliflower and you're less likely to find a bug.

I tried making turnip fries before and they were bitter and unappetizing. Maybe there's a secret to cooking turnips that I don't know.

Old 06-20-2014, 05:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluemoon75 View Post

We have made the mashed cauliflower, which my wife liked better than me. I am enjoying the artichoke hearts mash (I use the same recipe as bluemoon).

I agree about the spaghetti squash. For those of you who have yet to try this in place of spaghetti: take one spaghetti squash, stab it with a knife a dozen times, microwave for 5-6 minutes, turn or flip, and then another 5-6 minutes, then let stand for 10 minutes or so, slice in half (lengthwise), the use a fork to scoop out the stands. One spaghetti squash will give about 4-5 servings.

I have not tried the 'zoodles'. Since I like zucchini, I must give that a try.

I think I have noted elsewhere herein that I have also enjoyed the 'miracle noodles' (found on Amazon) for my pasta. It is a bit more expensive per serving, so it is not a habit.

Old 06-28-2014, 02:54 AM

1,608 posts, read 1,484,630 times
Morning!

After reading this thread (so far), it occurs to me that it would be probative if contributors volunteered their latest A1c with their lists.

For DH (5.3) and I (5.2), the list of what we don't eat is loooong, so I thought it might be best to give you a sample weekly grocery list.

Chicken (6 oz daily for me and 10 oz for hubby).
Roast beef (6 oz daily for hubby).
Italian salad (mixed lettuce mostly -10 carbs a day for a (huge) 300g serving).
No-carb dressing.
Mozzarella cheese (2 oz for me and 4 oz for hubby daily).
'Zero' red wine (2 glasses each daily).
Dark Swiss chocolate with almonds. (Hubby eats a couple of squares a day and I eat one. 1 square = 6 carbs and 60 calories).
Yoplait - 2 x 30g cartons a day. (I eat this. It contains 5 grams of protein per 30g serving, 6 carbs, and 35 calories.)
Eggs (DH eats 4-6 and I eat 2 daily).
Butter. (Mostly used when we scramble our eggs, top them with no-carb blue cheese dressing and a generous sprinkling of cayenne pepper).
Distilled water. (Both DH and I drink at least 4 liters each per day w/a capful of lemon juice to make it go down easier.)
We also like coffee 'as is' once or twice a day.

Other than several herbs, spices, and supplements - that's about it. DH consumes circa 33 grams carbs and I about 28 grams daily. His caloric intake is much higher than mine, but then he has to work physically and I'm confined to a bed or wheelchair, so I don't need as much.

Once a month, on the first of the month, we have a 'wild night' and eat anything we want for our main meal - within reason.

We don't bring anything else into the house because, if we did, bad things would happen.

Works for us.

Mahrie.

Old 10-28-2014, 05:40 AM

I made a very good, low carb lime pie the other day.

Now, here is the link to the original recipe:

Key Lime Pie - Low Carb Version Recipe - Allrecipes.com

As I was reading the comments, I was intrigued by one poster who noted that instead of making the whipped cream (which one then folds into the rest of the ingredients) she substituted sour cream to make it more 'tart'. Hence, that is what I did.

Here is how I made my pie:

1. Bake a pie crust. I use LC Foods pie crust flour. You can find it on Netrition or on the LC Foods own website. Easy to make, very low carb. Anyway, since the pie filling is not baked, one must have the pie crust already prepared.

For the pie filling:

1. One small box of sugar-free lime Jello gelatin. Use one-third cup of boiling water to dissolve the powder, then add one-third cup of cold water, and stir (or, just as you would for making regular Jello, but without so much water).

2. In your food processor:

Two packages of cream cheese (8 ounces each): soften by leaving out for a while, then cut into smaller cubes, then into the food processor.

Half a cup of sour cream.

The juice and zest of one lime.

Half a teaspoon of vanilla extract.

Process thoroughly. Taste and make any additions you think necessary (more lime juice, or perhaps a small package of artificial sweetener, squirt of Stevia, etc; I like it as it was). Then pour into pie crust, and refrigerate for several hours until firm.

Anyway, came out great. My wife (non-diabetic) also loved it, and we are making her a strawberry pie next weekend using the same recipe, but using Strawberry Jello gelatin (and not using the lime juice/zest, obviously).

Indeed, I shall try the lemon gelatin soon, and I am thinking of melting some sugar-free chocolate and trying for a chocolate pie.

I would be interested to hear if any posters try this recipe (including the original linked above) and any changes they make to improve.

Old 11-01-2014, 07:57 PM

9 posts, read 12,608 times
You'll need to watch out for a lot of breads, candies, and other sweets. Also watch out for soft drinks: Even the diet ones can make your blood sugar go bonkers. Black coffee is fine, if your father is a coffee drinker. So are most fruits and vegetables. My mother- who is also diabetic- enjoys a bit of good dark chocolate now and then.

Old 11-14-2014, 06:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by legalsea View Post
I made a very good, low carb lime pie the other day.

Now, here is the link to the original recipe:

Key Lime Pie - Low Carb Version Recipe - Allrecipes.com

As I was reading the comments, I was intrigued by one poster who noted that instead of making the whipped cream (which one then folds into the rest of the ingredients) she substituted sour cream to make it more 'tart'. Hence, that is what I did.

Here is how I made my pie:

1. Bake a pie crust. I use LC Foods pie crust flour. You can find it on Netrition or on the LC Foods own website. Easy to make, very low carb. Anyway, since the pie filling is not baked, one must have the pie crust already prepared.

For the pie filling:

1. One small box of sugar-free lime Jello gelatin. Use one-third cup of boiling water to dissolve the powder, then add one-third cup of cold water, and stir (or, just as you would for making regular Jello, but without so much water).

2. In your food processor:

Two packages of cream cheese (8 ounces each): soften by leaving out for a while, then cut into smaller cubes, then into the food processor.

Half a cup of sour cream.

The juice and zest of one lime.

Half a teaspoon of vanilla extract.

Process thoroughly. Taste and make any additions you think necessary (more lime juice, or perhaps a small package of artificial sweetener, squirt of Stevia, etc; I like it as it was). Then pour into pie crust, and refrigerate for several hours until firm.

Anyway, came out great. My wife (non-diabetic) also loved it, and we are making her a strawberry pie next weekend using the same recipe, but using Strawberry Jello gelatin (and not using the lime juice/zest, obviously).

Indeed, I shall try the lemon gelatin soon, and I am thinking of melting some sugar-free chocolate and trying for a chocolate pie.

I would be interested to hear if any posters try this recipe (including the original linked above) and any changes they make to improve.

An update in case anyone is interested in making this dead-easy pie:

Cream cheese: Using the lower fat cream cheese works well. Oddly, while regular cream cheese has two (2) carbs per ounce, the low fat has less then one carb.

I am now using cream instead of sour cream. Use the sour cream if you want more tartness.

Being lazy, I no longer use the lime zest. The Jello Sugar-Free lime gelatin works fine, with a few drops of Stevia to sweeten it up.

No need to put any vanilla extract in the pie filling.

I made a very good chocolate pie using the basic recipe of 2 packages of cream cheese and half a cup of cream. I used non-flavored gelatin. I then melted half a cup of Lily's Stevia sweetened dark chocolate chips (which I highly recommend; much less carbs than the Hershey's 'sugar free' chips). Pour the melted chocolate into your mixture and process, adding drops of Stevia (or packages of such) to get the taste you want.

I also made a lemon pie using the sugar free Jello gelatin. Excellent indeed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diabetes